• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turn radius and steering stop modification

Since iver owned this truck I've noticed the turning radius is garbage compared to my 2006 gmc 2500 gasser. While looking at my lower control arms I can see where the steering stop is slowly eating away at the lower control arm, which makes me think there is more availability to turn the wheel. Has any one cut the steering stops off before to decrease turning radius on these 2wd trucks ? I've debated cutting off a 1/4 -1/2" to see how well it helps worst case scenario I cut to much off and have to weld a piece of bar to the lower control arm to make up for the piece from the spindle I cut off.

20200608_034134.jpg

X,

There should be no problem with that.  It will depend totally on what wheel offset you are running and what size tires.  On my brother's truck we had to watch full left lock and then compression.  He touched somewhere, so we actually had to add to his stop.  but it is because of huge tires at the moment.

What I am saying I guess is trim and watch, but not just statically, you need to watch during suspension extension/compression also.

GL

Hag

X,

That is an interesting question.  I will try and get an idea of that.  I just bought a 99 1 ton (its 4wd though).   Have not driven it much.  My brother's 2wd is in Atl.  but we can talk about it.  So far the 1 ton seems a lot like my 4wd.  I am  having more trouble with the wide hips than turning at the moment, but I will be moving some trailers soon, and that will tell me more...

Hag