• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Built 47re for towing

My truck has just about 200k on it, I have owned it since 111k. I plan to tow a skid steer on a 14ft dump trailer estimated at 11k lb. combined. I live in Hawaii, we have some steep hills here and there. Recently I towed the trailer with a load of wood chips, and the truck revs way up before much forward movement trying to go uphill. I had considered trying to do some upgrades to it myself to see if I can rectify some of the issues on the cheap..some thoughts were:  new solenoid kit; servo/accumulator piston; shift kit (i know, not recommended); trying to adjust pressure up on VB; even trying to change the TC. After thinking and reading on these for months I am leaning towards a built transmission so all the other internals can also be new as well, considering the age of it.

I have read so many good things about Goerend I am looking at MTS built 47re using Goerend parts

(copy and pasted)

• New triple-disc Goerend torque converter 10 Custom Stators Available
  • Goerend Double Deep Pan
  • Goerend Upgraded valve body
  • Goerend 4140 steel 1-2 lever
  • The Trans case is drilled for extra lube to the rear one way roller clutch
  • All the Custom Goerend upgrades are used on each unit
  • Exact same Bill of Materials as that of Goerend assembled by the MTS Experts

Opinions on other brand built transmissions are appreciated

• Staff

I had @Dynamic build mine.  I shipped my core to him and 10 days later I had a stage 2 trans in my truck.  I tow about 9k lb., a 5th wheel with a boat behind it, and the transmission puts the power to the pavement.  Dynamic put a low stall speed Goerend torque convertor in it.  @Mopar1973Mandrove it a few weeks ago and said " @IBMobile was here and I was driving his truck and wow! With full lock up through the gear that truck is just flat mean with 4.10 gears and 245's tires.  Really firm shift and everything."   

Give Dynamic a call and see what he says.  His customer service is great.

• Like 2

I have read great things about Dynamic and trust the opinions on this forum over others, that is one reason for looking into Goerend parts in a build.

I live in Hawaii and with shipping times and build times that not will be an option for me to have my truck down for a month or more.

This is why I'm looking for a built transmission so i can swap out with minimal down time.

Does my assumption of having rather high miles trans and wanting to tow heavy make sense to just go all in and get a fully rebuilt trans though?

Here is a link to the trany I'm eyeballing.

https://www.mts-diesel.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_11_109&products_id=17700&osCsid=bmpok6hjqviif3auf247416ba1

Also..I wouldn't think I would need any billet shafts at my low tuning Edge EZ (possible injectors after a trans install..bosch rv275 maybe??)

new flexplate needed?

• Staff

If Dynamic has a core he can use that as the build unit and ship it to you.  The old trans becomes the core that you ship back to him so very little down time.  My truck is using an Edge EZ set on #2 and Bosch RV275 injectors.   With Dynamic transmission builds you get a new flex plate included.  This is the flex plate, new on left OEM on right, that came with my transmission. 

IMG_6655.JPG.37bc10bbc354ece6a34a1245ba4aef2a.JPG 

Sounds like a similar set up you got to what im think IBMobile! How is your experience with the RV275's and EZ personally?

Is there a particular area i should be seeing wear on the flex plate? Watched a nice video at Goerend's site showing wear or poor fit on the center hole

Here's another link for some entertainment

https://goerend.com/goerend-47-48re-non-sfi-billet-flexplate/

• Staff
5 hours ago, Irie808 said:

Is there a particular area i should be seeing wear on the flex plate?

I didn't find any on the flex plate that I took off but it had only 110k on it.

5 hours ago, Irie808 said:

How is your experience with the RV275's and EZ personally?

I've been using the EZ since 2005 on #2 first with a boost elbow (about 25 psi max) then with an adjustable boost controller set to 30 psi.  No fooling with down loads, tunes, or up loads, just plug and pray...I mean play.

The RV275 injectors gave the truck a nice boost in power.  The injectors were put in at just under 100k so the OEM injectors were a little worn.   Over all the truck tows very well; goes up 6% grades in 3ed at 55MPH with peddle to spare with exhaust temp between 950-1100 with steeper grades touching 1200. 

• Owner

I had @Dynamic build my 46RE in my 1996 Dodge 1500  to be more like a 47RE. He milled a 0.1 of a inch off the overdrive and direct clutch added an extra clutch disc and added cooling jets to the body of the case to keep the clutches cooled and lubed properly. The custom modified valve body that shifts firm. This is one tough little transmission and it shift like one too. 

Do you know who actually makes the goerend one or is it actually them making it. Not that it matters just for curiosity sake.

What bolts do you use.  I ended up cutting some to length for mine. I remember short seemed to short and longer seemed to long.

Converter to flexplate bolts.