• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic VS Standard oil

• Staff

Here is a good article talking about Group III, most common "synthetic" in the US, and Group IV. 

https://recondoil.com/synthetic-oil-guide/

another good article.. it's on amsoils site but doesn't seem to push much more than basic info. 

https://blog.amsoil.com/how-much-synthetic-is-in-my-oil/

Most run of the mill synthetics are Group III

Redline is a Group IV

Amsoil is a Group IV, aside from OE and XL line

Most conventional oils are Group II, most synthetics are Group III. Group III does preform better than Group II, but there isn't a set standard on how much has to be modified to make it a Group III so resutls will vary between oils. Group IV will outpreform Group II and Group III. 

Now at the end of the day the average user will likely not see much of a difference. Operation in extreme temps is a big benefit to Group IV as well as extended intervals. 

All modern oils are pretty darn good. 

I run a Group III Amsoil in my Jeep and Group IV Amsoils in my Ram and 4Runner. 

• Like 1

My brother in-law is a truck driver. He delivers fuel for a Chevron jobber. A few years ago Caterpillar  tried to get them to sell their oil. They left them a sample. Well yesterday they were cleaning up the shop and they asked if anybody wanted the sample. Otherwise they were going to recycle  it. So guess what this guy got? One oil change with it can’t hurt! 

A62AE8C0-323E-450A-BE47-2B091E3DC797.jpeg

BAEC8AFF-3893-4295-A676-40A14012ED2E.jpeg

998BDC8A-4DEA-431C-B8F9-C13D2D047A8B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

CI-4.... that could be more than a few years old :lmao:

There are still a few of them out there, but not many and not by any big name brands that I’m aware of. 

Sooooooo leave it in the jugs? ?

• Staff
7 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Sooooooo leave it in the jugs? ?

No, Assuming your sig truck is what you plan to run it in. CI is a great oil, much better than CJ. CK is finally a little better but not enough to not run CI. CI won’t work on anything with a DPF thou. 

I ran CI in my 05 until CK came out. 

• Like 1

• Owner

I ran all of it...  CI-4 when in was common, then CJ-4 when it was common, and CK-4 now. Nothing bad will happen 415k miles later still runs strong and works just fine. I look at it this way all the millions of vehicles loaded with CJ-4 didn't blow up or melt down. Semi trucks, new vehicles (Dodge, Ford and Chevy). I didn't go hunting for only CI-4 because the scare of CJ-4 was so bad. Nope it all worked just fine. Now if I was seeing lots of engine failures and meltdowns from oil related failures. Never did. I check with other local shops and how many thousands of GALLONS of CJ-4 diesel engine oil was sold. No issues reported. Even check the local logging company if they had any issues with CJ-4 oils.If there was a problem with CJ-4 oils do you think a logging company would buy thousands of gallons of CJ-4 that is going to damaged the entire fleet of trucks and skidder equipment? Nope. If there was something bad about CJ-4 I wouldn't be at 415k miles now. 

I look at the CJ-4 as a hype thing... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I ran all of it...  CI-4 when in was common, then CJ-4 when it was common, and CK-4 now. Nothing bad will happen 415k miles later still runs strong and works just fine. I look at it this way all the millions of vehicles loaded with CJ-4 didn't blow up or melt down. Semi trucks, new vehicles (Dodge, Ford and Chevy). I didn't go hunting for only CI-4 because the scare of CJ-4 was so bad. Nope it all worked just fine. Now if I was seeing lots of engine failures and meltdowns from oil related failures. Never did. I check with other local shops and how many thousands of GALLONS of CJ-4 diesel engine oil was sold. No issues reported. Even check the local logging company if they had any issues with CJ-4 oils.If there was a problem with CJ-4 oils do you think a logging company would buy thousands of gallons of CJ-4 that is going to damaged the entire fleet of trucks and skidder equipment? Nope. If there was something bad about CJ-4 I wouldn't be at 415k miles now. 

I look at the CJ-4 as a hype thing... 

So now the only way to state a spec is good or bad is by oil related failures?

An oil spec doesn't have to cause catastrophic failure to not be the best spec, nor is it hype. 

It's great that CJ is not longer the spec . It certainly worked but it wasn't great. There is a reason that CI is still made by a few manufacturers and CJ isn't. 

Plenty of info on how CK is an improved oil, simple as that. 

27 minutes ago, Threadzy said:

Yes. Plan on changing it tomorrow. Are those Donaldson filters sold at Napa or at a local parts house? 

I have not seen them local around here. Bought mjne at filterspro.com. Amazon has them also. Google the filter #. You dhoulf find them for $10 to $12 including shipping. 

• Thanks 1