• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3500 Lean to the Driver Side

So as I was walking down my driveway today, I happened to look at my truck to see it sagging towards the driver side. So I just double checked my sanity and grabbed a couple levels and put them on my bed and sure enough it was leaning over towards that way. Next step, I measured the driveway, and believe it or not the driveway "leans" towards the passenger side! So I measured the tires, front left to front right and so forth and sure enough on the rear driver side tires, they're over an inch off, whereas the fronts are 1/2". Also I might add, when I step up into the truck that leaf close to where it connects to the front shackle creeks pretty good, and its easy to rock the truck side to side. Not surprising, the truck does have 339,670 miles on it.

With that knowledge would it be safe to say that the rear driver side leafs need replaced, let alone just throwing a whole new set on both sides? If so where should I buy them, and if I do have to buy new ones, are there any that are a "soft ride" without any capacity compromise? This is my daily, and is slowly turning into a welding rig with my 72 SA200 on it, which is roughly 1300lbs and more to come as I slowly accumulate what I need for my rig.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by TheGreatWhite

7 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

perhaps your diesel needs a "V8?":lmao:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTII7zVFK5wxV6D-bFT1sr

get the double pun? lol

dont the leaf packs have rubber bushings on both ends? if so could they possibly be smashed or worn?

other than that i have no other input...  im useless.:doh:

Imma accept it though cause that's pretty good :lmao:

Do you have a truck/trailer spring shop near you?  These guys are awesome to talk to, and will rebuild your leaf stack for you.  They should be able to give you some great advice on where you want to go with the truck.   took about a week, if you can live without the truck that long.  If you can't,  take them a junkyard set.

GL

HTH

1 hour ago, Haggar said:

Do you have a truck/trailer spring shop near you?  These guys are awesome to talk to, and will rebuild your leaf stack for you.  They should be able to give you some great advice on where you want to go with the truck.   took about a week, if you can live without the truck that long.  If you can't,  take them a junkyard set.

GL

HTH

I believe my buddy just got a set of ubolts from a spring place, but I'm not sure! Would it be cheaper than buying one for <$200?

Now that is a good question.   I had the springs for the 64 Galaxy re-arched.  (he kept main spring, and maybe some of the others, and added a couple) I had no clue then what I wanted, I just hated the droopy drawers look....  He asked me a bunch of questions,  and then it was less than 200 for the pair (late 90s) and all the new u bolts etc..  I was totally impressed. 

I don't think you would want to do it to just one spring....  if he is good, he won't do one or at least advise you that trouble will surface...  you will be leaning the other way...  You need to talk to them.  He should have already done something like this before and give you a real close price.  If your main spring is good,  the price should be reasonable.  The spring with the eyes is expensive, all the others are just flat springs with a little arch in them.   

Hag

25 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Now that is a good question.   I had the springs for the 64 Galaxy re-arched.  (he kept main spring, and maybe some of the others, and added a couple) I had no clue then what I wanted, I just hated the droopy drawers look....  He asked me a bunch of questions,  and then it was less than 200 for the pair (late 90s) and all the new u bolts etc..  I was totally impressed. 

I don't think you would want to do it to just one spring....  if he is good, he won't do one or at least advise you that trouble will surface...  you will be leaning the other way...  You need to talk to them.  He should have already done something like this before and give you a real close price.  If your main spring is good,  the price should be reasonable.  The spring with the eyes is expensive, all the others are just flat springs with a little arch in them.   

Hag

Seeing how my luck has gone here recently it wouldn't surprise me if that spring with the loop is bad :doh:

So since I've never done anything like this, what's the best way to support the truck to take them off so the axle doesn't roll away or I get hurt?

Edit: Just got off the phone with Atlas Spring and Axle, $500 for a new pair of leafs, and he said with 340k on it and the time it did in Michigan, he recommended brand new springs..... So should I buy some from them or buy some from a reputable source you guys or others have used??

Edited by TheGreatWhite

As long as the main spring isn't damaged too bad (broken, cracked etc) they are adding the other leafs to support it. 

Put chocks on front wheels.  Put the rear frame on jack stands with the axle in full droop, the tires just off the ground.  set the parking brake or leave it set).  lightly lift each side of the axle, undo your U bolts and let her sit on the ground.  (watch your shocks, brake line, vent line or your rear sway bar may limit your travel.)  do each side, then get the springs out. 

If you are worried about the travel, you can set the axle not on the ground but on another set of jack stands. (after you take the ubolts out, the block will come out, and you can actually go up with the rear differential and still have room to take springs out.)

HTH

Hag

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haggar said:

As long as the main spring isn't damaged too bad (broken, cracked etc) they are adding the other leafs to support it. 

Put chocks on front wheels.  Put the rear frame on jack stands with the axle in full droop, the tires just off the ground.  set the parking brake or leave it set).  lightly lift each side of the axle, undo your U bolts and let her sit on the ground.  (watch your shocks, brake line, vent line or your rear sway bar may limit your travel.)  do each side, then get the springs out. 

If you are worried about the travel, you can set the axle not on the ground but on another set of jack stands. (after you take the ubolts out, the block will come out, and you can actually go up with the rear differential and still have room to take springs out.)

HTH

Hag

Doesn't seem too bad! Thank you very much sir!