• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

62 65 14 100hp sticks building boost with 18k from stop

I keep hearing how this turbo may be laggy .

Yanking equipment trailer at 18k it builds at the same rate I push the pedal. 

I have smarty on 9 tm3 timing 4 duration 3.

I am slightly worried about timing on 4 but it doesn't seem to be  problem. 

I actually used to change timing to stock when I towed but decided to run it.

Smoke isnt horrible much better than timing at stock.

Just thought I'd share incase otheres on the fence .

Turbo has been one my best mods.  It flat just works I could do without the smarty and be happy

Cool egts and getting decent fuel mileage 

Now I need moose mirrors like mike.

20200616_145153.jpg

Edited by Evan

• Owner

I get just a puff out of mine. The biggest thing for cleaning up the smoke is to have more timing in the right spot. This would be a limit on Smarty because you only can select 4 levels of timing. But no way to control where the retard is and where the advancement is. The only difference between us is the timing factor. I ran that trip solely on CANBus fuel only just like what Smarty can do,  but I can adjust timing to meet the needs of the injectors hence just a puff of smoke. The fuel injector difference is 7 x 0.009 vs 7 x 0.010. I'm also popped a bit higher which adds to being cleaner.

Like after a bit of tweaking and what not. I found optimally for me is about 23* (cruise) at 2,000 RPM, under load climbing about 17* at 2,000 RPM. With the 245/75 R16 tires I'm at prefect 2,000 RPM's at 66 MPH. This reduced my engine load greatly and spool is pretty darn quick. I've actually spun the tires a few times just launching from lights on my trip even on dry pavement, hitched up.. Yup, she spools fast. Now my economy tune is different and the cruise state is lower, the fuel map is different, even the retard amount is different. Still can touch 21 MPG.

TOWING TUNE TIMING

Screenshot_20200617-064414_iQuad.jpg

Again. I can set my cruise state timing and when does it actually hit cruise state timing. I can set the amount of retard when you get into the throttle. Then load base timing I can set how much retard base on engine load after cruise state is cancelled. 

TOWING TUNE TIMING

Screenshot_20200617-064752_iQuad.jpg

Being I made that haul to AZ with the RV 17,300 GCW (62 feet long total). Seen 14.7 MPG (Max) and 12.6 MPG for Average. This is the trip down. My trip back was lower and bucking wind and rain storms. (as seen in the background of what I just came through)

20200606_113631.jpg

The only thing I could suggest is go towards the Smarty Touch and get all the bit and pieces so you could write a custom tune beyond what S0-3 tune can do. Then you can get the timing correct for your application of parts and work loads. The problem with Smarty is going to be cap out in timing as Me78569 has proven in his data logs which with your change in turbo and injectors won't quite fit as good.

The other option is flip to the "dark side" and grab a Quadzilla which don't require the cost like Smarty Touch does and requires PC to do programming. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

7 hours ago, Evan said:

Cn I use the quad without a display?

Once you initially program and save your tune on a phone or tablet and upload it to the Quad No you do not have to have the display on all the time. I use an iPad. I only use it after I’ve tweaked a tune. Just to check my engine load and light load timing advance. Anytime you unplug  the Quad or disconnect you’re truck batteries you will have to upload whatever tune you want to use. Otherwise you’ll be driving on the factory tune. 

• Owner
7 hours ago, Evan said:

Cn I use the quad without a display?

Yes, you can. I go headless quite a bit. Makes for great conversation pieces when the truck takes off and pull you in the seat but tuner is seen.

As long as the tune has been updated. The tune will remain in the Quadzilla module on next reboot.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As long as the tune has been updated. The tune will remain in the Quadzilla module on next reboot.

Elaborate on "updated" please. I just hop in my truck and drive. Is that not what I need to do?

Edited by TheGreatWhite

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If the Quadzilla I Quad app has load on a previous key cycle it will remain with that tune till you load iQuad app and switch again.

So if I load my Economy tune then shut down. Then next startup (headless) it will automatically load the Economy on next start up.

Oh ok I gotcha now, thought I was doing something wrong!

The only time you would need a computer I believe is if Quadzilla had an update for the box itself. I believe it’s been a couple of years or so since they’ve done that. I’ve never had to do it since I’ve had mine. So to answer your question once you receive the quad to get it running yes all you will need is your phone. They come with the newest software. 

• Like 1

• Owner
On 6/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, Evan said:

Would I need a computer or can my phone do it all

Yup. You phone does it all for the normal operation. You can build tunes on your phone no PC required. The only thing I would suggest is building a spreadsheet for calculating your fuel map and timing maps. I've create a simple one that allows me to play with step rates on fuel and timing and see some of the maps without a need for the Windows Excel sheet here. Since I can't use Microsoft products, I can use my basic spreadsheet in Ubuntu Linux.

The only time is firmware updates. Even myself with a Ubuntu Linux PC can update the Quadzilla firmware by running virtualbox and Windows 7. Super rare, for me to fire up that bloated system. 

Even my PC has a-pillar gauges!!! :lmao::lmao2:

Screenshot from 2020-06-27 07-05-17.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man