• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Please help stranded no electric power

I'm stuck probably going to need a tow.

Here's the deats 

03 3500 dually mostly stock besides air cleaner muffler delete.

Problem started as slow cranking condition so I replaced the batteries and got no where come to testing the starter I find that to be over drawing. 

Went to make it home so I tried to restart the truck.  Long short cranked super slow then I heard a pop and the truck is completely dead red light on the dash ( it's on the upper left side of the coolant temp gauge)no interior lights no nothing.

At this point I have verified voltage at 13.45 even on both batteries checked the fuses to find again no resolve at this point for the last 1.5 hours the batteries have been disconnected to attempt a security rese but at this point I am so stumped and stuck heck I can't even put the windows up.   Just reconnected the batteries still no luck. 

Please help 

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
More specific information

• Staff

I cannot say for certain, but symptoms like that call for a new/ rebuilt starter. I hope you checked the fuses with the little square windows as well. Those are very hard to see and tell if burnt. even with the window they are very hard to see the burned spot. I would not try starting it with that old starter in there as I think you are causing an overload condition and may damage the electrical system somewhere. I would also disconnect the grid heaters just in case they are causing the electrical overload. As I said I could be wrong, but best to be safe than sorry.

• Owner

Start simple double check all your battery terminals for being clean and tight. Then move on to fuses. Double check all the fuses to see if any fuses blown. All your fuses should be under the hood.

See if you can read any error codes too with a Scan tool. But you'll have to get power back first. The error codes might give a clue too.

Being that erd gen truck have no relays and the the only thing that control power through the truck is the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) or the fuse box under the hood.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

I burned fusable links at one time with a bad grid heater, but that was on my first gen Dodge.

Then had a bad starter draw so much juice it sucked the battery down in no time. Hooked up my battery cables to my second gen and that bad starter drew down both second gen batteries. At that point I knew it was time for a new starter which solved the problem. May not be the same in your case, but worth investigating. If it keeps blowing fuses you need to find out why..... don,t just keep running it.

Well bad starter caused the truck with brand new batteries to overheat the cables that feed the starter and burned them right off causing the main positive feed to short to ground new starter wiring and motor everything seems good. Thanks for the pointers always seems like K.I.S.S is always the answer for electrical issues 

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

• Staff
39 minutes ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

Well bad starter caused the truck with brand new batteries to overheat the cables that feed the starter and burned them right off causing the main positive feed to short to ground new starter wiring and motor everything seems good. Thanks for the pointers always seems like K.I.S.S is always the answer for electrical issues 

Why don't you help keep the site running so your not an expired member? You can donate just a small amount and it really helps. Next time you will get more response as a member too.

Just do not... and I repeat.... do not eat any chicken jerky sent to you from Dripley LOL.

• Thanks 1

As soon as I can figure out my head from a hole in the ground I will be able to donate and be around more but 10-12 hour days starts to wear on you (especially being on a barge) first weekend off in 3 months.  We were breaking ice this spring with the barges to get a head start and I'm glad we did this heat is brutal being out there with no shade....  lol

• Staff
2 hours ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

As soon as I can figure out my head from a hole in the ground I will be able to donate and be around more but 10-12 hour days starts to wear on you (especially being on a barge) first weekend off in 3 months.  We were breaking ice this spring with the barges to get a head start and I'm glad we did this heat is brutal being out there with no shade....  lol

Very interesting, need pics if you ever get around to it. :popcorn:

We are in south east Wisconsin it's used to install piers and boat lift but due to Memorial day deadline and account volume we are launching end of February early March we've had guys go down for a day due to hypothermia we try to rotate guys so you don't spend to long in sub 40 degree temperature water but you can only tag out so much if they wanna keep going let em.  Most of us are farm family so we don't worry about osha and don't stop for nothing.  Heck if osha saw Otis we'd be shut down in a heart beat....  but ahh um send it lol

Btw we do wear mustang rescue suits that early 5mm neoprene no one gets past stage one hypothermia Tony and myself are medic level trained so we know what is to far.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
  • Like 1

• Staff

Thank you, it's very interesting what you and a lot of other guys do. My age I'm turning into a handy man doing small repairs, but I do solve a lot of other peoples problems with their home. I'm a professional but, I just don't want to be tied down to big projects anymore. going to have some fun this summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Thank you, it's very interesting what you and a lot of other guys do. My age I'm turning into a handy man doing small repairs, but I do solve a lot of other peoples problems with their home. I'm a professional but, I just don't want to be tied down to big projects anymore. going to have some fun this summer.

Amen brother!!!

• Like 1