• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hi from New Zealand

Doug

Hi, my name is Doug and I am based in Tauranga, New Zealand.  I have a 1990, 12 valve 250 hp 6BTA in my boat in New Zealand and a 24 valve in my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 based in Kansas City that hauls a 34ft 5th wheel.  After finding out about the VP44 issues on this site, in 2019 I fitted a Raptor pump to the Dodge, my truck came from the factory with a tow package and as far as I can tell the original owner Charles from Illinois who I bought the truck from ticked just about every factory option that was offered at that time including a gauge cluster that is mounted on the pillar, the gauges are great but the fuel pressure gauge only goes up to 15 psi, what I would like instead is the gauge depicted in the mopar1973man forum titled "Fuel Pressure Specification For Bosch VP44 Injection Pump", this is 0 to 30 psi and the graduations and labels are in green, yellow and red making it in my view the perfect gauge for this application, I looked in the store on this site but couldn't find it, can anyone please help me with a source ? Thanks and regards Doug.

https://mopar1973man.com/storage/attachments/monthly_2015_12/colored-fp-gauge.jpg.88073f151e93ef93bdb3204aac5c61df.jpg

• Owner
39 minutes ago, Doug said:

Hi Moparman, thank you very much.  I see that there is a small red LED or lamp to the left of the fuel gauge, what is that for please ?

My old warning light I've home crafted for my DiPricol Fuel Pressure gauge which had no warning light. The red warning lamp will catch your eye just enough you don't have to look at the gauge but the level the light pops on at. Bottom I know is EGT's, middle is fuel pressure, the boost on top. 

Thank you.

OK GUYS, HERE IS AN UPDATE:-

Looked in more detail at two options, Speedhut and ISSPro.

I am leaning toward Speedhut because:-

High and low pressure warning light, fully adjustable on the gauge with no additional cost.

Customisable gauge face with lots of options to choose from.

But - ISSPro have snubber kit for 2000 Dodge with FRRP Raptor pump which In have (chosen because it has an external fuel pressure regulator) and Speedhut don't mention my truck or the need for a snubber.

Details and links below.

Any advice appreciated please.

Sorry about the messy formatting, can't figure out how to tidy that up sorry.

Regards Doug

SPEEDHUT  

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-FUEL-02/1/Fuel-Pressure-Gauge-0-30psi-(w--warning)

2-1/16" Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-30psi (w/ warning) / SKU: GR-FUEL-02

Speedhut, $169.95 and 6 week delivery

Warning LED can be set to turn on for both a low or high condition, or turned off in either or both cases, no programmer is needed the adjustments are done on the back of the gauge.

Lots of options for face colour, font colour, variety of colour combinations for night and day etc. 

ISSPRO   

Check out our EV² gauges on our website here:

http://www.isspro.com/category_products.php?cid=212

All of these gauges have built in warning lights which we can preset before shipping or you can purchase our attribute programming software to set yourself (http://www.isspro.com/products.php?productid=2568)

Looks like this is a good choice ....http://www.isspro.com/products.php?productid=1284

196.40 plus shipping.  No mention of delivery time on website.

With ISSPRO add if required:-

Cummins 1989-2002:

Use ISSPRO Snubber Kit R78826 (($55.29) if using factory fuel filter housing with banjo bolt connections.

If using an aftermarket fuel filter system such as a FASS or Airdog with self-contained fuel filters, use Snubber Kit R78827 ($38.71 ) (same as above kit R78826 but without the banjo bolt).

Have the factory set the alarm pressure or do it yourself with R82003 (EV2 ATTRIBUTE PROGRAMMER) 37.57

Edited by Doug
Additional info

FUEL PRESSURE ALARM SETTINGS

Any thoughts please on the minimum and maximum pressure alarm settings, I think from my research that with the engine running Cummins require a minimum of 10 psi and a maximum of 20 psi at the VP44.

I chose the FRRP Raptor pump mainly because it has an external fuel pressure regulator, I have set it to 18 psi on the factory gauge at idle and it doesn't go below 16 psi, I am thinking setting the LED alarm light to minimum 14 psi and maximum 20 psi.

Thank you.

Hi Dripley, yes I think it was fitted at the factory, the other gauge is combined boost and EGT.  The fuel pressure gauge range is 0 to 16 psi, as I noted above with the new FRRP Raptor pump I am delivering more than 16 psi and I think the maximum pressure allowed is 20 psi so hence I am looking for 0 to 30 psi.  Cheers Doug.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Hi Dripley, yes I think it was fitted at the factory, the other gauge is combined boost and EGT.  The fuel pressure gauge range is 0 to 16 psi, as I noted above with the new FRRP Raptor pump I am delivering more than 16 psi and I think the maximum pressure allowed is 20 psi so hence I am looking for 0 to 30 psi.  Cheers Doug.

I believe they would all be after market. Never heard of Dodge offering those gauges.

But you are right on the 30psi gauge. It will serve you better. Will the new gauge fit the old location?

• Staff
On 6/24/2020 at 2:57 AM, Doug said:

FUEL PRESSURE ALARM SETTINGS

I chose the FRRP Raptor pump mainly because it has an external fuel pressure regulator, I have set it to 18 psi on the factory gauge at idle and it doesn't go below 16 psi, I am thinking setting the LED alarm light to minimum 14 psi and maximum 20 psi.

Thank you.

That is the correct fuel pressure range to help keep the VP44 at maximum cooling. I like a minimum of 15 psi and max of 19 or 20 psi. 14 is right at the point the overflow valve opens on the VP and returns fuel back to the tank which draws off heat. This has been drilled into all of us by our school Master Michael Mopar Man. :smart:

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, the truck is stored in Kansas City and I am in New Zealand so won't be able to measure the gauge until I am back next, I think it is 52 mm.  I can't figure out how to post a photo of the gauges, any advice on that please ?  Thanks Doug

Mate thanks but I cant see "choose files", maybe because I am an "Expired Member" (which sounds like that could be painful or disappointing!) I don't have access to that option ?

A subscription here is very reasonable. From $20 to $45 for a year. The resources and help here is worth every penny. I came with about 215k on the truck and now 300k miles later the truck is still treating me very well as are the members. We are a bit of motley crew at times but the help here is priceless. 

I would love to see a picture of the gauge set up in your truck as is.

• Like 2