• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift size question

55 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

To do it right you need to change the control arms to get the geometry correct this will allow you to correct the caster angle. and the track bar should be replaced with adjustable bar. This will allow to set the thrust angle to ZERO again which 2 inch leveling kit will pull the axle to the driver side too much. 

Ran into this exact issue on my jeep. Angles all messed up. Wicked death wobble at 55. I have all adjustable control arms and track bar. Was planning on doing similar to the truck but I think I may have underestimated a stock rams offroad capability. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm off road all the time here locally. Going out in the forest for firewood. Etc. Never had any issues with my current set up. 

Again...I think I’ve underestimated her abilities. I haven’t poked around too much with the axles. Did rams come from the factory with LSDs? 

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I'd leave it as close to stock as possible.  May be air bags in the rear and new/stiffer springs in the front.

You might want to check with this shop on what your need and options are.  They are in Escondido.

https://www.northcountyspring.com/

After I get the camper built I’ll check in with north county spring. Hard to know what I’ll need without the final weight in the back. Airbags are definitely a great option. I hoping to keep the weight down as much as possible. Gonna try aluminum framing and sheeting. Need to test these welding skills. 

• Owner
24 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

Did rams come from the factory with LSDs? 

I'm a standard open diff, no limited slip. Prefer the standard diff over limited slip.

25 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

Ran into this exact issue on my jeep. Angles all messed up. Wicked death wobble at 55.

Never had death wobble or and steering slop. Always had straight steering and just a bit of free play in the wheel but that is how I adjusted the steering box. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

LOL... Working with the wrong ladies. @Wet Vette loves my truck it looks stock and for her hips and back much easier to get into. (We are both in our 50's).

Haha...maybe so.  But I think I'm interested in something a little different you are and hence in a different kind of girl.  I like the shallow ones cuz they are usually not quite as intelligent and thus much less work.  And the kind of qualities I look for in their hips and back have nothing to do with their ability to get into the truck.

• Haha 1

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I like the shallow ones cuz they are usually not quite as intelligent and thus much less work.

:lmao::lmao2::cheers:  Good answer... :thumbup2:

3 minutes ago, Bullet said:

And the kind of qualities I look for in their hips and back have nothing to do with their ability to get into the truck.

:stuned: :evilgrin: I got it... I just gotta pick on people now and then... You just happen to be the target this time! :wink:

• Like 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, BennyGGG said:

Hard to know what I’ll need without the final weight in the back.

You can go to Grangetto's in Escondido to weigh the truck before and after the build.  I think I paid $10 for an unofficial weight of my truck's front axle w/ 5th wheel,  both axles w/ 5th wheel attached, and 5th wheel alone.  Real friendly people there.

http://grangettos.com/grangettos-escondido/    

1 hour ago, Bullet said:

We are both in our 50's

You'll want to keep the truck....it will be easier to get the walkers in and out of the back.  90706452_animated-smileys-smaulis-0731.gif.7e48d5e0d036d76fa735b8f52348099a.gif 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IBMobile said:

You'll want to keep the truck....it will be easier to get the walkers in and out of the back.  90706452_animated-smileys-smaulis-0731.gif.7e48d5e0d036d76fa735b8f52348099a.gif 

I think you misquoted me there big guy.  It was Mike that said "We are both in our 50's" not me.  And he was referring to him and his significant other, not me and him.  Besides getting it completely wrong you nailed it. :punish:

I'm in my 40's and don't have the wear and tear or battle scars of a married guy...so I still look in my 30's...which means I can still pull the 20's. :thumbup2:

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lmao::lmao2::cheers:  Good answer... :thumbup2:

:stuned: :evilgrin: I got it... I just gotta pick on people now and then... You just happen to be the target this time! :wink:

Oh yeah...no worries Mike...thought it was funny too. :thumbup2:

Edited by Bullet
Mike is not married? Congratulations Mike!

• Owner

Yeah, im the one that mention we are in our 50s. 

Next reason for not a lift as you get older it gets tougher to keep lifting heavy items into high bed or high cab. For me this one reason I bought the BigTex trailer its only 16 inches above the ground and goes off road too for firewood. Another reason giggle about lift kits, Im dragging my 16 inch clearance trailer off road. Truck got more clearance than the trailer, but I can roll large loacs without lifting.

Yeah I know your only young once, enjoy life, im over the hill and starting to fall apart. Hips and lower back issues.

Instead of Limited Slip Differential, you might consider an ARB air locker.  Best of both worlds -- open diff until you need it, then basically a spool when locked.

Edited by Joe_Pool
To add information
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 6:22 AM, Joe_Pool said:

Instead of Limited Slip Differential, you might consider an ARB air locker.  Best of both worlds -- open diff until you need it, then basically a spool when locked.

Been looking at a few lockers for both my jeep and Ram. Really want OX Manual lockers but they don’t make them for a Dana 70. Bummer. So now it’s between air or electronic. 

5 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

Been looking at a few lockers for both my jeep and Ram. Really want OX Manual lockers but they don’t make them for a Dana 70. Bummer. So now it’s between air or electronic. 

That's pretty much what I found when I was looking at them.  The Dana 70 is kinda like the wicked stepchild...not much of a selection out there for them.

Bullet,

Just find a complete 80 axle.  They came behind manual transmissions in the 2500 series (so you get the single rear wheel configuration).  You are going to pay a bit more to have rear discs, since the rear disc was only '01.5 and 02.   Those would bolt right in.  I am unsure what happened with the 3rd gen axles but I can't believe they are significantly different.

Hag

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Haggar said:

Bullet,

Just find a complete 80 axle.  They came behind manual transmissions in the 2500 series (so you get the single rear wheel configuration).  You are going to pay a bit more to have rear discs, since the rear disc was only '01.5 and 02.   Those would bolt right in.  I am unsure what happened with the 3rd gen axles but I can't believe they are significantly different.

Hag

I’m headed to the salvage yard This week. I’ll keep my eye out. Do you really think it’s worth the trouble swapping in an 80?

The only reason I mentioned it, was there may be a larger variety of different lockers for you.   I thought you were concerned that the locker you wanted was not available in the 70.  If the locker you want is available in the 80, it would help your overall picture just to upgrade to an 80 if you can find one. 

Otherwise, no I wouldn't change to an 80 just for giggles.   In the SRW version they are not really that different.  just a bit bigger ring and pinion and carrier bearings.  Wheel bearings (and we think floater axle diameter) are the same on the 70U and 80 SRW

Hag

• Like 1

If the locker you want isn't available for a 70 it probably isn't available for the 80 either. 

FYI - do some research on the e-lockers, they have a built in flaw that you may not like.  When going from forward to reverse or reverse to forward they will unlock for approximately 1/4-to 1/2 a wheel revolution due to the cam locking design (may not be a big deal for you).  ARBs are locked as long as air is supplied.

Check out this site: 

Edited by Joe_Pool
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Appreciate all the info. Unfortunately Ox doesn’t make a locker for the 70 or 80. Gonna shop around a bit. Still trying to figure out the best gear ratio and tire size. I’m working out my priorities for this build as well 

• Owner

Optimal final ratio should be 3.55 to 3.73. 

Example stock mine came with 265/75 R16 tires and 3.55 gears (31.6 inches). Now drop to a 245/75 R16 tire (30.5 inches) not changes the final ratio to 3.69:1 which I'm currently running. When figuring it out you need to start from the stock design typically 265/75 R16 tires.