• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic vs standard automatic transmission fluid

Does synthetic fluid last longer/result in less wear extending life of a 47re auto Trans with oversize cooler and valve body/tc upgrades. What brand is good

Edited by Dave f
Omission

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Synthetic alone is not slick enough. So friction modifer is added to allow clutches ans band some ability to slip without chatter. Again ask @Dynamic about this, this is how it was explain to me.

Exactly what Tony Garcin (Dunrite) told me years ago.  That was Ma Mopars answer to the lockup chatter at one point.  Would have been nicer if they had fixed it right.

I have the @Dynamic stage 3 build 47re. He put fluid in it with the same specs as OE fluid, it already comes with the friction modifiers added to it. He told me to change it (can't remember how many miles after it was built) and I did, adjusted the bands and changed the filter and added the exact same fluid he used. 

I asked him about synthetic and he told me the stuff he put in there is just fine. I've put nearly 50,000 miles on it since it was built and I change the fluid religiously every 10K miles. Basically every other oil change. Might seem like overkill but I've never had an issue and for the money I spent on the build, I feel like a couple hundred bucks on fluid and a filter and some wrench time is good insurance. Plus, in 20 years from now, it'll be pretty cool to have a truck that's in just as good repair as what it is now. 

IMHO.....a deeper pan with added fluid capacity is more than enough to make up for whatever added benefits someone might obtain from running synthetic. More fluid= more heat dispersion= less heat= longer tranny life. 

That was long winded... LoL! 

Edited by crf450ish

2 hours ago, crf450ish said:

I have the @Dynamic stage 3 build 47re. He put fluid in it with the same specs as OE fluid, it already comes with the friction modifiers added to it. He told me to change it (can't remember how many miles after it was built) and I did, adjusted the bands and changed the filter and added the exact same fluid he used. 

I used Dex 3 with a bottle of Lubegard "Black". It's the fluid I've always preferred in the older transmissions.

ATF+4 has a TON of friction modifier in it to deal with converter clutch chatter. This affects shift feel quite a bit. If you build it right, and use the right converter, there won't be any slippage to cause chatter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^
That is what my transmission builder said he puts in his rebuilds too, he said it wasn’t *snake oil*. Lol!    

2EB43D1E-123F-4AC5-8F91-05D07CD822E6.jpeg

I changed the oil after about 10 months to instal a plus 4 ATS deep pan and a derale cooler. drained 6 quarts out of factory pan, it took 12 to fill it back up