• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5 psi oil pressure drop?

Alright so I might have done something really stupid. I put 2 bottles of the amsoil engine flush in my engine and ran it for an hour on high idle. I did this when I was checking/charging my AC system. I know that you are only supposed to do it for 15 minutes but the only thing in the amsoil engine flush is just detergents, no solvents so I thought it wouldn't hurt anything. After the flush I changed the oil with fresh 15w-40 and a new oil filter. So afterwards I noticed that when I was driving on the freeway @ 65mph, my oil pressure sat at 49-50psi. It would normally sit around 54-56psi but it seems that something changed. I'm around ~1840 rpms when the speed is 65mph. I changed the oil and filter around 3000 miles to see if the pressure would change but it did not. I also changed out the oil pressure regulator(not the oil drain back) and its still exactly the same. When the truck idles it sits around 18-20 when it used to be 20-22. Should I change out the drain back and/or the oil pump? Could it be my bearings that wore down a little? 

Dont read much ito the oil pressure gauge on an 02. Unless you have an odd ball 02 the pressure sensor on it is nothing but a switch. When you start the engine and reach about 6 psi it closes and the ECM takes over based on coolant temp and rpm and sets the pressure gauge reading, not actual oil pressure. The way to be totally sure is to check your sensor, if one wire runs to it is as described above. If it has 3 wires to the sensor then it is an actual pressure sensor and that would be odd.

4 hours ago, dripley said:

Dont read much ito the oil pressure gauge on an 02. Unless you have an odd ball 02 the pressure sensor on it is nothing but a switch. When you start the engine and reach about 6 psi it closes and the ECM takes over based on coolant temp and rpm and sets the pressure gauge reading, not actual oil pressure. The way to be totally sure is to check your sensor, if one wire runs to it is as described above. If it has 3 wires to the sensor then it is an actual pressure sensor and that would be odd.

The readings I'm getting are from my aftermarket oil pressure gauge, not from the factory one.

2 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

mine sat around 65 running, after rebuild its at 55-60 running.  you are still in the clear

Yea it looks like I'm still good but I'm wondering what might have changed. I sent in an oil analysis so I will see what they say in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Directions on the bottle are there for a reason. I'd say the cleaner did it's job and removed something. Hopefully nothing important. As long as you have good pressure, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep a close eye on it for awhile to be sure it doesn't keep falling. You should be ok.

11 hours ago, Max Tune said:

Directions on the bottle are there for a reason. I'd say the cleaner did it's job and removed something. Hopefully nothing important. As long as you have good pressure, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep a close eye on it for awhile to be sure it doesn't keep falling. You should be ok.

Yea I'm not too worried about it, just wondering what exactly changed.

• Owner

Possible maybe but never heard of it. I will say that you most likely going to have to pick up the gasket for the oil cooler from a Cummins dealer. I've had zero luck finding that gasket in normal part stores. Then you could remove the oil filter base and check the valve port. Bit safer working off the truck than dropping possible debris into the oil galley. 

• Like 1

if you remove the oil cooler, expect to do a coolant flush too..  basically gonna drain the block

gasket set $50 its a split set as the cooler is two parts.

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-products/98-02-5.9l-cummins-diesel-encore-block-oil-cooler-gaskets.html

but if you look at parts 3,10,8,4, this is the pressure bypass valve which is accessible without removing the oil cooler.

98-02_5.9L_Cummins_Diesel_Encore_Block_O

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I got an update, I replaced the oil pressure bypass spring, oil pressure regulator, and my oil pressure has gone up a couple psi. I changed out the regulator first (inside the housing) with no change to pressure. When I changed the bypass (externally on top of housing), it looks like it made a pressure change. It sits around 52 psi @ 65mph with 295/70R17 tires and a 3.54 rear end ~1800rpms. I also had an oil analysis done and everything is looking good in the engine @ 406k!

Edited by Southpole560
  • Like 1

• Owner

Also might want to check your oil temperature. I used the trans sensor of the Quadzilla in the oil plug on top of the oil filter housing. Hotter the oil thinner it gets. I typically see 168°F to 175°F in engine oil temp. Being your running larger tires and lower gear ratio could add more heat to the oil causing a drop in pressure too. As seen below 105°F daytime temperature.

Screenshot_20200730-160121_iQuad.jpg

245/75 R16 tires making final ratio to the ground 3.69:1 putting my 66 MPH at a perfect 2,000 RPM and 82 MPH at a perfect 2,500 RPM but this drops my engine load considerable, EGT's drop, oil temperature drops, etc. MPG rises. More heat created anywhere is a lost of power into heat. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

22 hours ago, Southpole560 said:

I got an update, I replaced the oil pressure bypass spring, oil pressure regulator, and my oil pressure has gone up a couple psi. I changed out the regulator first (inside the housing) with no change to pressure. When I changed the bypass (externally on top of housing), it looks like it made a pressure change. It sits around 52 psi @ 65mph with 295/70R17 tires and a 3.54 rear end ~1800rpms. I also had an oil analysis done and everything is looking good in the engine @ 406k!

52, you are fine. keep driving knowing you have a clean engine :D

• Like 1