• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Squealing brake help needed

Hi guys I’ve been having this problem on my 02 and it’s driving me nuts. The drivers side rear brakes squeal loudly when accelerating/coasting. As soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal it stops. I had the same problem before I replaced the pads last year with ceramics. Thought maybe they were metallic, but it made no difference. I just took the caliper off today to take a look and grease things up. Still squealing. It doesn’t make any noise when cold until you drive maybe 5 miles. Any help appreciate as this is making my otherwise mint truck sound like a pos and it’s very annoying. Thanks!

• Owner

Did you check wheel bearings? Sometimes when the unit bearing fails it makes noise rolling then apply the brakes that centers the rotor and it may go away for that time the brakes are applied.

Myself I use economy brake pads (NAPA) and getting 200k per set. Little brake dust. Minor wear on the rotors at 350k. Clock is at 415k.

• Staff

Would you be able to duplicate the problem if the  rear wheels were off the ground, rear axle on jack stands with front tires blocked.  Better yet, do it with the rear end jacked up with the tires off and use a length of 3/8 fuel or vacuum hose, about 3' long, as a stethoscope.    

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Would you be able to duplicate the problem if the  rear wheels were off the ground, rear axle on jack stands with front tires blocked.  Better yet, do it with the rear end jacked up with the tires off and use a length of 3/8 fuel or vacuum hose, about 3' long, as a stethoscope.    

I’ll try this today and report back. 

• Staff
22 hours ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

Hi guys I’ve been having this problem on my 02 and it’s driving me nuts. The drivers side rear brakes squeal loudly when accelerating/coasting. As soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal it stops. I had the same problem before I replaced the pads last year with ceramics. Thought maybe they were metallic, but it made no difference. I just took the caliper off today to take a look and grease things up. Still squealing. It doesn’t make any noise when cold until you drive maybe 5 miles. Any help appreciate as this is making my otherwise mint truck sound like a pos and it’s very annoying. Thanks!

If you have and 02 then you have separate brake drums for the E brake at the rear. Those brake shoes might be adjusted a bit too close or the E brake isn't springing all the way to the off position.

Hi guys, i got the truck in the air today and was not able to duplicate the noise while spinning the wheels. I backed the star wheel off for the parking brake and still am getting the noise while driving. One thing to note, this truck has sat for months at a time with the parking brake engaged. Is it possible the mechanism just has some rust/debris between the drums? I would definitely take it apart and clean it up if serviceable.

Got a quick video of the noise (hope it works)

• Staff
3 hours ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

Is it possible the mechanism just has some rust/debris between the drums?

Yes, driving the salt covered roads of Connecticut and then letting it sit will cause those parts to rust up.  Can you tell what side it's coming from?

Take that side off and inspect.   Check that the backing plate isn't close enough to rub on the disk when they warm up.

With the disk off have someone set the park brake while you watch the action.