Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

     

Recommended Posts

Hi guys I’ve been having this problem on my 02 and it’s driving me nuts. The drivers side rear brakes squeal loudly when accelerating/coasting. As soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal it stops. I had the same problem before I replaced the pads last year with ceramics. Thought maybe they were metallic, but it made no difference. I just took the caliper off today to take a look and grease things up. Still squealing. It doesn’t make any noise when cold until you drive maybe 5 miles. Any help appreciate as this is making my otherwise mint truck sound like a pos and it’s very annoying. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

Did you check wheel bearings? Sometimes when the unit bearing fails it makes noise rolling then apply the brakes that centers the rotor and it may go away for that time the brakes are applied.

 

Myself I use economy brake pads (NAPA) and getting 200k per set. Little brake dust. Minor wear on the rotors at 350k. Clock is at 415k.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors

Would you be able to duplicate the problem if the  rear wheels were off the ground, rear axle on jack stands with front tires blocked.  Better yet, do it with the rear end jacked up with the tires off and use a length of 3/8 fuel or vacuum hose, about 3' long, as a stethoscope.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Would you be able to duplicate the problem if the  rear wheels were off the ground, rear axle on jack stands with front tires blocked.  Better yet, do it with the rear end jacked up with the tires off and use a length of 3/8 fuel or vacuum hose, about 3' long, as a stethoscope.    

I’ll try this today and report back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
22 hours ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

Hi guys I’ve been having this problem on my 02 and it’s driving me nuts. The drivers side rear brakes squeal loudly when accelerating/coasting. As soon as any pressure is applied to the brake pedal it stops. I had the same problem before I replaced the pads last year with ceramics. Thought maybe they were metallic, but it made no difference. I just took the caliper off today to take a look and grease things up. Still squealing. It doesn’t make any noise when cold until you drive maybe 5 miles. Any help appreciate as this is making my otherwise mint truck sound like a pos and it’s very annoying. Thanks!

If you have and 02 then you have separate brake drums for the E brake at the rear. Those brake shoes might be adjusted a bit too close or the E brake isn't springing all the way to the off position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, i got the truck in the air today and was not able to duplicate the noise while spinning the wheels. I backed the star wheel off for the parking brake and still am getting the noise while driving. One thing to note, this truck has sat for months at a time with the parking brake engaged. Is it possible the mechanism just has some rust/debris between the drums? I would definitely take it apart and clean it up if serviceable.

Got a quick video of the noise (hope it works)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
3 hours ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

Is it possible the mechanism just has some rust/debris between the drums?

Yes, driving the salt covered roads of Connecticut and then letting it sit will cause those parts to rust up.  Can you tell what side it's coming from?

Take that side off and inspect.   Check that the backing plate isn't close enough to rub on the disk when they warm up.

With the disk off have someone set the park brake while you watch the action.  

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...