• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked exhaust manifold

It's been so long since I've been on here or posted I couldn't remember my user name so I had to sign up again. This forum has always been the best place for anything cummins and I need some advice. 

On my trip to Lake Powell this weekend towing my boat I started hearing an exhaust leak while under load. Turns out my manifold is cracked almost in half through the runner for cylinder 4. Almost all the miles I put on my truck anymore are either towing my 10,000lb 5th wheel, 5000lb? boat or just driving up in the mountains getting firewood or hunting. 

I've been looking at the DAP 3 piece, adding an Isspro boost guage and changing my autometer Pyro to an Isspro to match my fuel pressure guage. I would really like to upgrade my turbo and injectors but don't have the cash at the moment. I just dumped about $3500 on "paint" and new tires and wheels. 

If I just do the DAP 150 injectors will I have issues with egt's with the stock hx35 for the rest of the summer until I can upgrade to a better turbo? I'm currently running around 11-1200 pulling hills with occasional jumps to 1300 for a few seconds. I have my smarty on software number 6 and the edge ez controlling the timing. 

Should i wait on injectors until I can replace the turbo at the same time? 

20200707_185533.jpg

20200616_153748.jpg

20200624_190429.jpg

• Owner

Nice looking truck, also nice looking 5th wheel.

10 hours ago, tony.canto said:

I have my smarty on software number 6 and the edge ez controlling the timing. 

Should i wait on injectors until I can replace the turbo at the same time? 

Best to ditch that Smarty - Edge EZ combo and switch to Quadzilla. Better control of timing, runs much cooler. Neither tuner is design for large injectors. No way of increaseing timing for larger injectors.

Then with the 285's tire that makes your final ratio lower number 3.42:1 and now adds more heat to the EGT's. Like myself I went down to 245/75 R16 and this now increases the final ratio to 3.69:1 and lowers the towing EGT's but 100 or 200 degrees. I'm also running 7 x 0.010 injectors (150 HP). Just tires alone will reduce EGT's temps. I'm only 17,300 pounds GCW in this picture, 62 foot long... Better towing power and less EGT's for sure. I run a total of 23* to 24* (Can't be done with your current tuners) at 2,000 RPM while towing and hit at least 14.7 MPG Max or 12.6 MPG Avg. Max EGT's climbing a 7% grade in between Mohave Valley and Kingman, Arizona on 110+ day was mere 1,100*F with cruise set at 65 MPH. My biggest problem down there was transmission temperatures. Engine coolant hovers at 195 to 197*F, engine oil temp floats about 175*F, etc. No heat issues. 

15915332979951430079351958718559.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Best to ditch that Smarty - Edge EZ combo and switch to Quadzilla. Better control of timing, runs much cooler. Neither tuner is design for large injectors. No way of increaseing timing for larger injectors.

After i posted and started going through all of the Quadzilla posts on here i figured that would be the recommendation. I have had the Smarty since 2015 and have loved it but maybe its time for a change. The only reason i have the Edge EZ is because a guy i know had it on his truck with his Smarty and said it was broke so he gave it to me. I'm pretty sure he was running timing with his Smarty also so they were fighting each other. I put it on my truck and switched my Smarty to a software without timing and it worked great.

So i guess my new plan is replace the manifold, add a boost guage and Quadzilla. Once i sell the Smarty I will get new injectors then save up for turbo upgrades later.

I know the tire size isn't ideal for towing but i really like this size on this truck and have ran this size for the last 100,000 miles. I average 16-18 mpg empty running 75-80 mph, towing my boat the last couple years I've been getting 12 mpg going 75-80 mph. I just picked up this new 5th wheel last month and got 13 mpg going 60-65 mph going up highway 6 in Spanish Fork canyon pulling some pretty good grades. 

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Those MPG are not corrected. Your odometer is not clocking miles correctly. You would have to use a GPS to track mileage. There is no way to do a percentage offset on the MPG calculation to get a corrected MPG number. 

That was one of the main reasons i got the Smarty instead of the Edge Comp when i bought it, to correct my speedometer and odometer for the tires I run. I have checked it multiple times with GPS and the mile markers on the highway and have it adjusted to be perfect. When i got my new set of tires and wheels a few weeks ago I checked it again and it was still good from the last time I adjusted it.