Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

BennyGGG

Rear brake brackets torque spec

Recommended Posts

Can’t find the torque spec for the rear caliper bracket. 2001 Cummins ram 2500 with ABS and rear disc. Appreciate any help 🤙🏽 

image.jpg

FSM 5-3 is where I was looking. It’s just not clear to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the manual only talks about the fronts. 

 

If I picked the part correctly that is an M14 bolt. (06504691)    It looks like it says 10.9 on the head in your picture.

image.png.da6ede0641a14699ed34b94ddb7367ca.png

 

The most you should put on it is 120 ft*lb.  I would set it at 100/110 and roll.

 

HTH
Hag

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful. I did the front caliper frame bolts in the front with loctite. Needlessly to say the loctite and being torqued in it was so hard to remove I broke 4 sockets just using a breaker bar to remove them again. I don't suggest loctite on those bolts. Torque is more than enough to hold the bolts in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful. I did the front caliper frame bolts in the front with loctite. Needlessly to say the loctite and being torqued in it was so hard to remove I broke 4 sockets just using a breaker bar to remove them again. I don't suggest loctite on those bolts. Torque is more than enough to hold the bolts in.

Thanks. I used the blue stuff. Hopefully they will come off. I’m doing ball joints and hubs next week so they won’t be on there too long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

Thanks. I used the blue stuff. Hopefully they will come off.

 

Like I said be careful you might not get them back out. If it does pose a problem you need a torch and heat that loctite up to release the bolts.

22 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

I’m doing ball joints and hubs next week so they won’t be on there too long.

 

Get yourself a hone brush for your drill. When the ball joints are out you can use the hone brush for the holes and hone out the rust and pitting. Then you can anti-seize the holes so installing the new joints should be fairly simple then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Get yourself a hone brush for your drill. When the ball joints are out you can use the hone brush for the holes and hone out the rust and pitting. Then you can anti-seize the holes so installing the new joints should be fairly simple then. 

I appreciate the tip. After looking at countless different ball joints at nearly $300 dollars price difference a piece, I decided on the Moog 7394 and 7397. Hope they work out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BennyGGG said:

After looking at countless different ball joints at nearly $300 dollars price difference a piece, I decided on the Moog 7394 and 7397.

Don't use Moog... No longer a quality product. I bought some CHEAP AC Delco ball joints and still running on them after 200k miles. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh just for a tidbit of info. I just pulled the rear calipers off to check my parking brake shoes and found out the passenger side pad had rotted off the backing plate. The pad material was trapped between the frame and the rotor. Off to buy a new set of rear pads for my truck today. This was caused from all the salt used on the highways and my travels for Mom's dialysis.

 

 

DSCF4956.JPG

DSCF4957.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...