• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Mopar1973Man

Slowly rebuilding my PC

So some of you might not know this but I managed to smoke 2 hard drives in 2 machines quickly in one day. Basically started out with my machine just being lazy after 7 years of service. I was doing clean up and re-tuning to lighten the loads. After a few reboots the /home directory of Linux was unreadable. So during boot you would see a job started to mount / home folder but errors out. I took out that hard drive and move over to Eileen's PC to attempt to read my main hard drive. Eileen's computer crashed. Second hard drive failed. Now Eileen's hard drive I was able to rebuild in about any hour being there wasn't much there. That was my life raft to keep the website going. 

I order a SSD drive (PNY) that is 250 GB in size. This is my new / (root) folder drive. I partitioned it out in half. So there is now two 125 GB partitions for one Linux Root files and then Windows in a VirtualBox. There is a reason for Windows in a virtualbox. This way if Windows picks up a virus it not going to load on my physical drive but to a virtual drive that is in a box and cannot infect the rest of the machine. Then second I want only read only files more so on the SSD to extend life of the harddrive.

Now my new /home folder drive will be here in August 11 roughly. This is a Seagate Hybrid drive that is a 7,200 RPM and combo'ed with a small SSD drive as well. This give me the stability of a mechanical drive and then a  speed of 7,200 RPM drive on top with even more speed of SSD drive.

It took me a couple of hours from installing the new SSD drive to installing a fresh copy of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the drives. I was check the benchmark of the PNY which Ubuntu clocks the drive at 532 MB per second. Where my old 2TB Hard Drive barely 134 MB per second. Installing Ubuntu was super fast on that SSD maybe 15 minutes including downloading updates while installing. 

Total Cost for this upgrade... $111.46

• PNY SSD hard drive - $30.99
  • 2.5 Inch carrier to 3.5 inch bay - $7.99
  • Seagate Hybrid 1TB drive $72.48

Now I'm waiting on the other hard drive to get here. 

Screenshot from 2020-07-09 06-48-30.png

Screenshot from 2020-07-09 06-47-21.png

Disaster... I tried to recondition a used hard drive for Eileen's computer and made a fresh partition table and formatted the hard drive fully. Then this morning 24 hours later the drive failed again. So I've got to buy a another set for her computer and get it fixed as well. She has a laptop with windows 10 but its not fully compatible with my network and printer setup. 

Sign in to follow this