• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

At a loss, won’t start

What’s up guys? I’m at a loss and like most people, I need to try and get this figured out ASAP. Trucks a 2000 auto. About a month ago went to fire the truck up and check engine light was on and would just crank. Wouldn’t start, just crank. Felt like it was cranking as it (batteries didn’t seem low). I posted something on a different websites and was told to check the batteries and charge them. I did that and truck fired up and check engine light went off. Flew home today for work and went to start my truck at the airport and the same thing happened. Well I purchased a cheap $30 scanner to keep in the truck. It said there was a code being thrown but it wouldn’t tell me what the code was. I think it’s just because it’s a cheap scanner. Anyways I cleared whatever code was thrown and the light went off. Turned ignition off then back on and light came back on. Cleared it again and was able to start the truck. Truck ran fine for 10 seconds and shut off. Finally got it run and let it sit for about 15 mins. I got on the road. I live about 55 miles from the airport. I got 5 miles from home and the damn thing shut off while I was doing 70. Check engine light can on.  Was running fine until that point. Pulled off the road, turned the truck off and took my key out of the ignition and the check engine light stayed on with the key out of the ignition and the Edge programmer I have (Older JWA w/ Legacy monitor) was still on. I disconnected the batteries. Reconnected them and fought the same issue. Crank but wouldn’t start. Gave it a few mins and finally got it started. Drive home with the check engine light on. I don’t even know where to start. Both batteries are fully charged since I drove 50 miles, I checked them when I got home with cables disconnected and they were both 13.1. Truck has the edge and a FASS 150. My initial thought was a fuel issue which is why it was cranking but wouldn’t start when I first had the issue but I charged the batteries separately and the issue went away until today. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. 

Chris Foster

7 hours ago, dripley said:

You need to pull whatever code it is setting. That might relieve the guess work. Next time you turn key on look and see if the WTS comes on. It warm in Ga so it will only come one briefly abd is easy to miss.

I’m pretty sure when I turn the ignition on every light comes on for a brief second then goes off. I’m going to try and take it to a local auto parts store and see if they can tell me exactly what code it’s throwing. 

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup we need to see the error codes on the ECM

Hopefully a local auto parts store will be able to help me figure out exactly what code it’s throwing. I appreciate the response. 

So I looked at the ground ring terminal for the FASS and it was chewed up pretty bad. I clipped it and replaced it, cleared the code with my cheap scanner and turned ignition on and off a handful of times and fired it up. Seems to be ok for now. This morning the CEL was on but it fired right up and allowed me to drive to a local auto parts store that had a really scanner. I shut the truck off, they scanned it, told me the code and it fired back up allowing me to drive home. Maybe a total of 5 miles with no issues. I’m going to let it sit for a little and see what it does later today. Hoping that was the issue

Edited by Epr2x10