• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trying to figure my steering out

So, back in about 2014, my 12v was in a wreck. It wrecked the steering box beyond repair. So, I replaced it with a Borgeson upgraded steering box. At the time, I had not considered anything like the 99 HD steering upgrade or a steering box stabilizer. 6 years passed, I forgot, and now I have parts I cant really use. 

I purchased a steering box stabilizer and the 99 upgraded parts. I did not purchase a new pittman arm because I thought it wasn't required. The taper is wrong for the pittman are to drag link. I think I can make the stabilizer work.

So, does anybody have a part number for a pittman arm and maybe a steering box stabilizer that would work with this? Any help is appreciated, finally getting the truck going after 4 years parked.

• Owner

Personally... Don't do a bunch of these upgrades. Like myself I'm at 416k miles and still completely stock. Steering is tight and no issues. 

My tie rod ends last 350k miles, ball joints are over 200k miles now, steering box was replaced because of seal leakage (Blue Top), power steering pump is OEM yet. No wobble or looseness. The biggest problem is people doing lift kits and oversized tires now the geometry is totally screwed up. 

Never upgraded tie rods, Never used steering braces, Never installed any leveling kits, Never used oversized wheels and tires. Never had any steering issues. 

I do agree with the stock pretty much eliminates problems. However, I'm not sure if is was lack of maintenance, the poor roads around here, pasture driving, 285/76 16s or a combination of all four but when I got the truck at 186k, it was hot dog down a hallway. I do think the ball joints are in reasonable shape. It has 223k currently. Seeing the original owners trailers, I'm not sure he could find a grease gun if he tried short of his loader tractors.

I probably would have kept the stock box if the output shaft hadn't been twisted about 45 degrees from center. 

None the less, I tend not to replace things that aren't broken. I might get hell for saying this but, my 2012 Prius is at 297k with nothing but oil changes and tires. I have all the parts sitting in my driveway otherwise I would have not fooled with it.

Edit: If memory serves me, I did not replace the pitman arm. Just the box. Should be stock?

Edited by That Guy

23 minutes ago, dripley said:

A Cimmins and a Prius in the same garage, thats an oxymoron there for sure.

Believe me, I know. But damn if it doesn't get 45 mpg with a load of 2x4s or oats from the feed store..... or engines and such. My Prius works harder than most trucks with phantom loads (California rake).

Though, I think I may have found my problem. It appears as though I somehow ordered a center link for a 2001. All the other parts are correct. 

IMAG0752.jpg

IMG_20190508_180920.jpg

Insight in Prius.JPG

Edited by That Guy

• Staff
On 7/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, dripley said:

A Cimmins and a Prius in the same garage, thats an oxymoron there for sure.

So why are you raising cougars with your family of chickens? :tongue:

I love the cummins in the back of the Prius that's a cool shot :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1