• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coronavirus; Is it hype, blown out of proportion?

JAG1

52 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Now it's Sunday Dave in case you didn't know :)..... I meant around dripley to stop those itchy feathers up yer nose

I got the hay fever so bad right now it feels like I have feathers  shoved up my nose.

Just a bit of anecdotal stuff......

Neighbors son (and friend of mine) is an EMS in south Louisiana. Smallish town. He has come into contact with 78 people with confirmed cases, hasn't gotten it and at least 15 were before the masks started going on. Several of his coworkers have had it, said it was the worst flu of their life for about 2 weeks. He has seen deaths and other related issues from it. 

Step uncle had it. Was on a ventilator for 19 days. Said he thought he was gonna die. Has made a more or less full recovery. In his 60's mind.

Sister just got promoted within the government.... cant say a lot, but her personal opinion is that our country is largely run by largely incompetent people. She has been working for state level for about 10 years and 2 years in the peace core, her promotion is to a federal position. She thinks most conspiracy theory's give far too much credit to the ability of the government.

My thoughts.....

The Ole Rona seems to be quite real and quite dangerous. Seems there is huge misinformation on both sides of the coin. If people had taken is seriously, it would effectively be a non issue.... deadly or no. When Nixon opened relations with China, I'm almost certain this is not what he envisioned. 

Masks seem to be more about keeping you from emitting (if that's the right word) the various things you would, so in a sense, the mask is for everyone but you...... the effectiveness is questionable.

I think american media is more the problem than anything else. Yes, the politicians have a tendency to be self serving, but it seems that capitalism at all costs is the reason that CNN and Fox are polar opposites. I check the news every couple days, usually something that is only reporting and not analyzing and opinion, and still with a grain of salt. At my university in the business department, they have several TV's dedicated to news at all times in one room..... usually CNN, Fox, and MSNBC or CBS. It's a pass time of mine to see just how far each one will stretch the topic at hand in what direction and what they say/don't say. Always a good laugh especially when they are all reporting on the same exact thing simultaneously. There are some things that shouldn't be for profit.

I don't understand hardcore immovable partisan politics. Do these people really want a single party state? We spent most of the 20th century fighting against various single party states in all forms. 

I'm not sure why, but in years past Republicans were far more progressive than Democrats. Now it seems to be completely opposite. Its hard to place when it happened.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 4

Well said Mr Guy. This thing is very real and expanding again. As far masks go, l would agree they help everyone but wearer. I don mine when entering places that require them, but not outside. Still quite a few folks that dont. I have yet to see a grocery store with a bouncer to enforce the rules. A vaccine is what we need and there seems to be good progress with that at the moment but time will tell.

• Owner

McCall ID is a tourist trap town. The local mayor made a mask required city inside or outside. Most of use refuse to wear a mask outside. (Me included). Now as for Riggins, ID there suppose to be 1 case down here but never found out who. No one wears a mask down here. They do the right things with social distancing. 

Like myself I slept with the window open and its 53*F this morning so my nose is running and dripping this morning. Eileen thinks I've a got a few mild allergies (yeah I'm allergic  to getting up and working - Right?) Seriously I do have a bit of issues but neither of us have the COVID-19 virus. She been tested not to long ago and still clean. Now up here is rather relaxed about the the whole Corona problem. Now @Wet Vette is in Mohave Valley, Arizona again. Her daughter want to break free for her own vacation. Arizona is one of the hot bed places between the air temperature being over 128*F in the last photo I seen and the most cases of COVID-19 coming out of Kingman, AZ. Little concerned about her being down there alone. She is a MA (Medical Assistant) so she understands masking up and all that. 

Now I've got to mention this WILL NOT NAME member called me 2 nights ago. He's was visibly upset, depressed and ready to quit. I talked to this member on the phone for at least 30 minutes. He's feeling the effects of the COVID-19 on his business. He's bills piling up to eyes and it getting worse. I told him you need to disconnect for you job for a short time and head home to your family. Now spend some time just letting it go for a day and then another day talking over the his issues with his family. Get some feedback on how to handle this issue he's in. Now in this realm I'm just as freak out as him because no one can see the end time of the COVID-19 lock down and restrictions. Between the rock slide blocking US95, detour time (2 hours for a 15 mile round trip) and thinning economy out here. It's rather spooky. I'm even very cautious about even spending the $1,328 to buy a VP44 for a local to repair their truck. The local economy is based on rafting right now and it nearly impossible to social distance on a raft or in a small drift boat. What we missed for income periods... Jet boat races, Riggins Rodeo, Salmon fishing (closed low count), now rafting is hurting... Even I'm managing to grab few job here and there but not like last year. When I met Eileen I did a picture of my weekly pay there was a ton a of cash laid out on the desk. Now I struggle to make just a quarter of that pile. The only thing different is I don't have the overhead of Mom and long distance travel and truck repairs. But I'm still paying bills on Mom's medical which I think I came to the end of... Yeah it depleted a bunch of my saving trying to hold it together and keep my cancer bill paid. 

It no day at the park for anyone... So all I can say is be smart about what you do and be careful out there.

• Like 1

That is rather unfortunate for that member. I know he's far from alone in that boat. It would help many people out if the government extended the same courtesy to small and seasonal businesses that they do to corporations and the unemployed (not really unemployment currently, more like stimulus) alike. I worked for a tourist railroad and the virus effectively shuttered it for about 3 months. It has now open at like 5% capacity. The tourism industry seems to be the one that has suffered the brunt of this thing.

Being in finance, I pay close attention to the market. Q2 earnings are starting to be announced, they aren't looking good across the board. I would predict another stimulus soon. I'm not sure it will go to those who need it though. It sucks to be told that you are non essential since we all contribute to the economy.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Little different when a doctor is preforming surgery and just standing in one place for the most part.

Also of note is how differently the HVAC systems are designed in doctor offices, and ESPECIALLY in surgery rooms!  I'm a member of ASHRAE, the engineering association that is referenced over and over and over in building codes of all kinds (International, Uniform, etc.).  The monthly magazine has no shortage of articles on the topic.  It bores me to tears because I'm in the meat-packing refrigeration industry and have no real interest in the topic, other than the fact I and others I know and love are sometimes in surgery rooms!  Those rooms are relatively cool and dry with good air speed; they are nothing like a Costco or Wal-Mart!

Twice sitting by my wife while I was masked and frocked, I wasn't uncomfortable in the surgery room, despite the (relatively) high stress environment of a child birth!

I want to have these "I know everything" doctors who talk about wearing them every day come with me onto a slaughterhouse rooftop in Dodge City, KS where it's 110F and humid, then see if they understand why I complain about masks.  Bright sunshine and 40 MPH wind, 200 feet from the nearest human being, and they say I am REQUIRED to wear a mask?!  Who is the one "ignoring science"?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Owner

Just wanted to show people that if you exhale with a mask on this is where the COVID is going. Being COVID is very small like smoke this is where it blowing out at. Medical masks do not seal since they do not this how its spreads. Same spots where the smoke blows around is the same spot where you are going to suck in the COVID virus.

• Like 1

I am not a mask guy, but I think the arguement is even if the mask catches %20 or %50  of the rona then you have effectively reduced the number of people that come in contact to  the virus by that % and thus as those people go out and infect if they have masks they also cut the spread by %20 -%50 then you ultimately have far less people who come in contact.  

1 * 3 = 3 > 3 * 3 = 9 > 9 *3= 27 > 27*3 = 81 > 81*3 = 243

1*2 = 2   > 2*2 = 4   >    4* 2 =8 > 8 * 2 = 16 > 16* 2 = 24

so by cutting transmission by %33 you get 220 few people that have been exposed to it over 5 interactions from the original carrier. 

This is all VERY fluffy math, but I see their hope in it helping.  However I think it is a much better example of how laws / regulations need to be put in place for the areas that they work rather than state wide or nation wide.   The county  I live in still has not had a case and you don't see many masks here.....  

However you can only really manage blanket laws in our society now that power has been moved from local government to state and state to fed levels.  

It's a broken system.   The country is too big and there are too many subsets of culture to do that.

Here is a study on what masks block even with particals much smaller than the mask is rated for.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-masks-capture-coronavirus/

One important detail: the particle counter they used measured particles as small as 0.007 microns. That’s over 10 times smaller than the coronavirus particle diameter. We’re talking about truly tiny particles here!

They tested a whole range of masks, and here’s what they found:

4-EN-768x576.jpg

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

I do the right thing just stay home as much as I can. If I go grocery shopping like yesterday yes I wear a mask but I've got one that seals to my face much better than medical grade. I do have exhalation valves. McCall is a mask REQUIRED city. Riggins is more of OPTIONAL mask city which most people social distance. Still the local hospital is EMPTY. Again being Eileen is doing medical test up there she has to be tested for COVID off and on. Every time I head to hospital the parking lots are empty. Minimal staff, staff being laid off. 

As for local economy in McCall prices of everything has jumped out of sight. Cube steaks are up as high as 7.99 to 9.99 a pound. Come back down to Riggins and fight the rock slide to get there. Now price are a bit better but with the Rock Slide it difficult getting supplies into town being most of it has to come through the slide from Boise. Today the by-pass road is closed, and so is the main highway. I'm cut off from Riggins due to road issues. Something about a water line has to be dug for home owner across Pollock Road today. 

I've been gearing more so to having all customers come to the house and work from my little shop. Leave the vehicles parked outside for a day in the heat cook the virus. Next day work the vehicle for its issue. We have been reaching 100*F here. Cab temp sore over 140*F easy on a hot day kill any virus left. I've left my other shop being there is just too many people in and out of that building. Wood working shop on one side for Salmon River Builders and then I rent the other side for 3 bays for automotive work. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

My personal favorite is the people that will wear the mask with their nose uncovered. What ever the mask was doing, it isn't anymore.

I have a friend that is very anti mask. He also likes a chain of store called Food City. A few weeks back, Hamilton County where Chattanooga is instituted a local mask mandate. He despised it, so he would go shopping across the state border in GA. I get a call from him at the store in GA, he is furious that the franchise had made a company wide mask mandate. I couldn't stop laughing at him about it. 

My favorite mask.... Screenshot_20200723-101337.png.2fe0c9a1996b422f31cbe01770b17ddd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anti mask people being mad at a company with a mandate is dumb, it's the companies right as a private company to mandate masks in the same way that the bakers in colorado can say they don't want to make a cake for *** couple.  

It is your choice to support that business with your $$ or not.  That's how capitalism works.  

Yea... that was my thought as well. He was fine when he was trying to find a way around a disability law involving historical items, but not when it affects him (The legality of having a "service" chihuahua on a train). Can't have it both ways. The right to refuse service is pretty clear.... You have to be consistent in your application of the law. I can say no blue hair in my store, but I cannot pick and choose which blue haired people I exclude, I would have to do them all. 

As an aside, historical things, such as trains and buildings that are operated as a historical site, are not required to cater to the ADA.

• Owner

I'm not a anti mask type I believe in trying to protect yourself. I don't mind the mask for inside crowded stores. Im not going to wear a mask while driving alone. Im not going to wear a mask outside away from people.

Yes I know @Wet Vette is considered high risk being diabetic and also with her pancreas problems. I know for a fact she is negative. Im 99% sure im negative to being im living with her.