• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Water leak after 24 valve rebuild

I rebuilt by '01 24 valve truck and ran fine for a day. After driving about 5 miles to the store it started leaking on the passenger side at the oil cooler. Is there a particular trick to putting those on? Also another possibility is the AC bracket. When I put that on I didn't realize a gasket went in the block. I got that gasket and ordered the oil cooler gaskets to put in tomorrow. I'd appreciate any advice or insight on that.

Or at least I did until this morning. I shut it off after a short drive and it started trickling out again from behind the cooler. We used copper coat spray for both sets of gaskets, could that have had something to do with it?

Man that aint good.... What type of gaskets were they? Metallic? or kinda like cardboard material? Lot of Okies on here! I'm down by Shawnee, ok.

The first one was fiber that came with the engine kit. The second was a metal one from Cummins. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or if there is a certain trick to doing it. I'm thinking about just taking to Dodge an let them do it.

I'm just outside of Tulsa

I can't see how it would leak.... Now are you talking about the gasket on the ac bracket/water pump outlet?

Posted Image

Or the one behind the oil cooler?

Posted Image

--- Update to the previous post...

Nah don't take it dodge, you'd spend more trailering over there than fixing it. You'll get it done, if not I could probably get it for you one weekend I aint far from ya. It's probably behind the a/c bracket, you make sure you took some real fine sandpaper to both surfaces? Get em both cleaned up real good? Little rough is best with a bit of crosshatch from sandpaper. Then torque the bolts to spec, go over them 4 or 5 times, it oughta be good to go. PM me for my cell number if you need to

It's the bottom picture where the leak is coming from. The gascket there goes between the plate for the oil filter and the cooler. Mine is leaking from between the cooler and the block at the metal gasket. We cleaned the plate in solvent and used brake cleaner on a rag for the block but didn't sand anything. The first leak would leak with it just sitting out in the driveway even several hours after driving it. This one has just a trickle only when driving it and stops when the engine does. I work weekends except for Sun, Ill get your number and have a picture on my phone of the leak.

Did you use any RTV(very thin coat) on the gaskets? Are the any gouges in any of the surfaces? Just can't think of why this is giving you such a problem. wish i had a simple answer. You did replace your water outlet gasket with the right one while you was at it.