• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pipe bumper ideas

A friend of mine has a 76 Power Wagon. Think of the classic 70's idea of a off road truck.... massive roll bar, KC Daylighters, steel wheels with classic off road tread, home made bumpers that appear to be pipe filled with concrete...... the works

I really like the look and strength of the bumpers and I happen to have about 600 feet of drill pipe. I have a warn 12k winch that I would like to fit in as well. I'm also thinking of a platform for ease of access to the hood.

Any of you folks that have experienced these, pointers, issues you have had, pictures, or things to avoid? Ideas appreciated.

With 600' of drill pipe you can try a lot of ideas, and then try again :wink:. My '67 c20 had a tube bumper filled with sand. I liked that bumper. It was 2 4" tubes ran in parallel across the front with about 3" or so space between. Then bent back slightly around the corners and capped. The front had a u shaped loop that served as the grill guard. I'll have to see if I have a picture somewhere.

I didn't build it, but my understanding is if packed tight enough it would tend to bend and not kink if you'd hit something. Kind of like filling copper tubing with sand so you can make nice bends without kinking it. Would make it easier to straighten out, and of course add some weight. With drill pipe bending probably isn't a concern though :lmao:

i hand built mine, with a warn 16.5ti winch. 1/4"x2x4 framed decked with 1/2 plate for the winch plate,5/8" gussets, welded to the frame. then built a pipe bumper on it with 2" pipe.   all hand bent and welded. even tacked the bottom bolts on the winch for theft deterrent

6a98c5f82bc1f66af421b33421b5206c.jpg

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

2 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

i hand built mine, with a warn 16.5ti winch.  1/2 plate for the winch plate,5/8" gussets, welded to the frame. then built a pipe bumper on it with 2" pipe

6a98c5f82bc1f66af421b33421b5206c.jpg

Would you mind posting a picture of the welding job on the frame?

19 hours ago, That Guy said:

Would you mind posting a picture of the welding job on the frame?

ill get to it when im able but to simply put it, the 2x4 slips into the frame perfectly and is seated as deep as it can go. every seam available from the frame rail to the 2x4 is welded and every bolt hole is plug welded also.  (its permanent)  But you could bolt it onto the frame if you wanted to, i didnt as i dont want anything stolen nor have weak spots.