• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm looking for opinions!When I head to the last section of road to my house there is about a mile of slightly down hill road.So I have been down shifting my truck into lower gears and letting it slow down graduallyMy thinking -- even though I have no jake brakes or the such. My thinking is that the down shifting will allow time for the turbo to cool down and prevent bearing damage from the left over heat that has been built up.Any opinions on that?

• Owner

Yeap I do the same thing... If I 'm hauling heavy I shut the exhaust brake off and start gearing down about a mile out and let it coast to my driveway. This drops it from 900*F to 400* in a quick hurry. Then I don't have to wait a long time to shut down.But if I use the exhaust brake pull in the yard and then I might have to wait 4-5 minutes for the turbo to cool below 350*F...

I just leave it in 5th and let off, by the time I am at the driveway it is almost at idle RPM and the EGT is down to 400, then I don't have to keep letting the engine rev way up when you downshift. It takes a longer distance but it sounds a lot nicer lol. I never wait for it unless I pull a trailer or have been running it hard. I look down and as long as it's under 400 I turn it off. Mine takes forever to get under 400 so I don't even bother. I run amsoil so I guess there isn't as much of an issue since the oil supposedly doesn't "coke". Nevertheless, I've never had an issue.

• Staff

I do about what Mike does. I quit using the exhaust brake about 1-1.5 miles from the house and use 1 gear lower than I would to improve airflow. If I have been towing I run the idle at 1100 for a minute or so then shutdown below 350*. 350* is the max I'll shutdown at, but if I downshift in the neighborhood and wasn't towing its not uncommon for EGT's to be 200* when I pull in the drive and stop. I will be doing a post-turbo turbo timer in the future, and will set it to 400* with my VNT setup.

• Staff

I try to coast in neutral as much as possible up to our drive way. Then let the engine set idling until the EGT is below 300 degrees before I shut her down. Usually takes a minute or two tops.

I know on my manual trans if I coast in N the EGT's take a lot longer to drop since the airflow is greatly reduced and fuel is being injected. Above idle and at 0 TPS there is no fuel injected.

I think these opinions are really great, and thats what I love about this site.sharing information never cost anything from anyone. Learning from shared information benefits everyone, except those in bussiness that only care about their bank account.I would like to see someones home made timer project and maybee I could design a circuit board that could be shared on the net. Anyone have a schematic they want to share?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good thread & I have modified my towing cool down because of it. I have several miles of secondary roads on the way home. I down shift the last couple of miles to keep the air flow up. I feel a minute of cool down is all that is necessary running light. Towing or highway rest stops, are a whole different critter. I down shift the last mile & drop speed to cool down. The time moving around the parking lot counts too! Then, one of us will stay with the rig idling... we're often gone before I consider it safe to shut down. We did this on our recent holiday trip, quite successfully.Thanks All,Russ