• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Picking out a new turbo

So i have a 99 automatic 4x4. As far as the up grades on the truck i have Edge juice with Attiude, 150 Air Dog Fuel Pump, 100HP DDP, ATS Stage 3 Tranny, SB Intake, Bigger Intercooler, 4" MBRP cutback exhaust, ATS exhaust housing I just replace the Stock turbo with Phatshft 64 compressor wheel, and 14mm exhaust housing. Now with this new turbo I've seem to have lost power compared to the old stock turbo. Granted the EGTS don't run up as high. I could power brake with the stock turbo and the power was awesome, but would get up high (1300EGT) so i would let off. But when i power brake and spool up the phatshaft the EGT highest was about 1175 which i was happy with. But when I'm just cursing and try to go from 1600 RPM to about 2100 RPM i have to baby it along or the EGTS will get up to 1300. I know the reason for this is cause the turbo is not spooled up and so this is why this happens. I'm not stomping the pedal either. I was going up about a 3-5% incline not loaded down or anything but i the cruise set at about 68mph 1950rpm. The cruise control had the pedal floored smoke rolling loosing speed and EGTS going up. When i fist wanting the turbo i called industrial and this is the turbo they recommended because i told them i would pull with the truck. But then i called yesterday and told them the problems i was having and the man said i should have went with a 12mm housing instead of the 14mm housing because the truck is an automatic. Which brings me to why i am here. Im not gonna trust them a second time. I would like your guys opinion. i was thinking of going with a smaller turbo for the compressor wheel wither the 60 with 14mm housing our 62 and i don't know what housing. Let me know what you think

Ditch the ddp injectors first.  They are making life worse than they need to be since they use the wrong spray angle for a VP truck.

Ddp's are hot and smokey regardless of air.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

Gotta ask what sized tires are you running?

Really common for people installing oversized tires on 3.55 gear and driven the final ratio too low creating huge amounts of EGT's and drag. 3.55 gear and 35" tires is 3.27:1 final ratio. Optimally you want the final ratio to the ground in the 3.55 to 3.73 range and EGT's fall like a rock. Like myself I'm running 30 inch tires on 3.55 gear and the final is 3.69:1 to the ground. I can tow my 31 foot trailer at 65 MPH and never reach 1,200*F. Final ratio is a huge factor of EGT's. 

For anyone if you want oversized tires make sure to buy 4.10 gears or a truck already with 4.10 gears first. Not recommended to mount over sized tires on 3.55 geared trucks. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Gotta ask what sized tires are you running?

Really common for people installing oversized tires on 3.55 gear and driven the final ratio too low creating huge amounts of EGT's and drag. 3.55 gear and 35" tires is 3.27:1 final ratio. Optimally you want the final ratio to the ground in the 3.55 to 3.73 range and EGT's fall like a rock. Like myself I'm running 30 inch tires on 3.55 gear and the final is 3.69:1 to the ground. I can tow my 31 foot trailer at 65 MPH and never reach 1,200*F. Final ratio is a huge factor of EGT's. 

For anyone if you want oversized tires make sure to buy 4.10 gears or a truck already with 4.10 gears first. Not recommended to mount over sized tires on 3.55 geared trucks. 

Or the cheapskate alternative like me... lockout OD and run in 3rd which means by about 30mph depending on pedal its in lockup anyway, I just downloaded a daily stock injector tune and tried it today, 3rd lockup is great... truck moves like a scolded cat but will go down to 25mph and accelerate smoothly with no egt problems at all and i've got OD and OD locked still to go. My tyres are around 33" +. difference in egts is considerable just by using 3rd more often

Its typical to lose bottom end  when you go to a bigger turbo, the hopes are that it will lower EGT and get you more air at mid to higher RPM and load.

64mm is really big for 100HP injectors.

12cm is not going to speed up spool time by more than 50-100RPM

All the items below will speed up your response on the turbo:

smaller turbine housing

smaller compressor and turbine wheel

Higher gear ratio for axle 4.10 instead of 3.55

looser converter on the transmission

Smaller tires

Lower elevation

Airflow mods (headwork, cam, clean filter etc)

• Like 1

I've been running 33-34" tire for 10is years . I always lock it out of overdrive till getting on the highway. 

62 65 14 turbo works well for me with 3.55 gears 32.5" tire and 7x009 injectors temps cool power great, bottom response amazing though if I stand on it from  stop or low rpm 1500 itl smoke like all the kids want . Fuel mileage good to.

• 2 weeks later...

wanna reply to each of you individually but don't know how. But figured it out feel like an idiot. I replaced the injector pump loosened the air horn clamp and forgot to tighten it back up. For ME78569 I'm not gonna replace the injector for awhile, will do before the end of the year along with new head studs. Thank you. Mopar1973Man i took your suggestion on the tiers i run the edge on the truck and updated the tier size on it. I didn't see a difference. But i stacked it with a smart and adjusted the tire size on the smarty. Oh my god you were right, ill roll down the road at 15-20 mph and punch and you can feel the back end brake loos. Kind of scary lol. Will440 im with you, its kind of scary lol. DieselAutoPower After i fixed the boost lol. But i swapped from the 14cm to the 12cm and seen a huge difference. I called industrial before i pulled the trigger and they were able to just sell me the exhaust housing for 500. But while i was on the phone with him i asked him the biggest injectors for the turbo i have and he said 120s. What would be your thought? Evan Thanks.

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Miner 25 said:

Mopar1973Man i took your suggestion on the tiers i run the edge on the truck and updated the tier size on it. I didn't see a difference. But i stacked it with a smart and adjusted the tire size on the smarty. Oh my god you were right, ill roll down the road at 15-20 mph and punch and you can feel the back end brake loos.

Like I said final ratio is going to impact the power to the ground. Final ratio between 3.55 to 3.73 really does improve power output. As you seen in the tire adjustment of the Smarty will get you the right odometer reading and show correct speed and miles travelled. Just remember if you return to stock the speed adjust is lost.