• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My experience with A/C

For over 8 years, the 97 has had no air conditioning. I just rebuild it entirely with all new parts, including lines. Yesterday, I think I got the charge correct and managed to get ~25-30* vent temps on high with recirculate. It was 97 yesterday and and I measured 75* on the floor after 30 minutes. All of this is at idle, though I did rig up a fan on the condenser to bring the highs down from 250-275. Currently, my pressures are 30-35 and 200-225.

Used a parallel flow micro tube condenser and an evap that had most of the foam seal around it. I also replaced all the foam in the air box and replaced the blower motor.

The new (not reman) compressor is a Denso. The old system was never replaced after the wreck and remained open for a long time which is why I bought all new stuff when my old was still working when broke. The old system also had a clogged evap from dirt and crud so airflow was abysmal.

Yesterday, I charged up the system after being under full vacuum for a good week, and my variable orifice tube failed within about 5 minutes. So I bring the system back down, pull it apart at the Otube and the top falls off while the bottom remains in the condenser. A lag bolt of appropriate size got it out. with no fuss. New one is a blue fixed orifice. Pulled vacuum again, recharged, beautiful cold air. I don't have scales suited for a 30lb tank, so I added a little at a time until the performance was tip top. Didn't freeze up after 2 hours, so I think I'm either close or spot on.It is frigid in there now. I love it.

Now to install seats out of a 24v CCLB.....speaking of those, any of you 24v guys happen to know the height of that spacer under the front mount of your seats? I think its ~1". I saw it in a pull-a-part the other day and didn't measure it then.

Edited by That Guy

11 minutes ago, That Guy said:

For over 8 years, the 97 has had no air conditioning. I just rebuild it entirely with all new parts, including lines. Yesterday, I think I got the charge correct and managed to get ~25-30* vent temps on high with recirculate. It was 97 yesterday and and I measured 75* on the floor after 30 minutes. All of this is at idle, though I did rig up a fan on the condenser to bring the highs down from 250-275. Currently, my pressures are 30-35 and 200-225.

Used a parallel flow micro tube condenser and an evap that had most of the foam seal around it. I also replaced all the foam in the air box and replaced the blower motor.

The new (not reman) compressor is a Denso. The old system was never replaced after the wreck and remained open for a long time which is why I bought all new stuff when my old was still working when broke. The old system also had a clogged evap from dirt and crud so airflow was abysmal.

Yesterday, I charged up the system after being under full vacuum for a good week, and my variable orifice tube failed within about 5 minutes. So I bring the system back down, pull it apart at the Otube and the top falls off while the bottom remains in the condenser. A lag bolt of appropriate size got it out. with no fuss. New one is a blue fixed orifice. Pulled vacuum again, recharged, beautiful cold air. I don't have scales suited for a 30lb tank, so I added a little at a time until the performance was tip top. Didn't freeze up after 2 hours, so I think I'm either close or spot on.It is frigid in there now. I love it.

Now to install seats out of a 24v CCLB.....speaking of those, any of you 24v guys happen to know the height of that spacer under the front mount of your seats? I think its ~1". I saw on in a pull-a-part the other day and didn't measure it then.

I put some seats out of a late model 2nd into my 02 but dont remember any spacers. Just unbolted the old and thru the new to e ones in.

In the 24v quad cabs, the cab is basically the same except the floor pan has a spacer/riser/structural piece under the front supports of the drivers seats. The standard cabs do not have it, their mounts are exactly like 94-97. It is under the carpet, runs from the one mount to the other. I'm assuming it is a structural piece for rigidity or just strength because of the lack of a B pillar, assuming that it would be called a B pillar.

• Staff

I recently charged my a/c. It was working but not well, I believe there may have been a slight leak somewhere. I added some freon and for it working better but my high side pressure it to high and the low side is low. I am pretty sure the orfice tube is partially plugged. I'll be changing it when I open the system to do the heater core and HVAC box R&R.

5 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I recently charged my a/c. It was working but not well, I believe there may have been a slight leak somewhere. I added some freon and for it working better but my high side pressure it to high and the low side is low. I am pretty sure the orfice tube is partially plugged. I'll be changing it when I open the system to do the heater core and HVAC box R&R.

I agree, sounds like Otube. For transparency sake.... Mine failed open, so I didn't see enough of a pressure differential. Low was like 60-70 and high was 100-120.