• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

LED headlight bulb suggestions? The industry has come a long way.

Rogan

Any of you 3G truck owners run LED headlight bulbs?  If so, what's your recommendation, as to brands,, etc? 
I put new headlight housings in my 07, but the new halogen 55/60s just seem dull, still.  I put Win Power H7s in my wife's GLK350 and they are insanely good in those housings..  Perfect OEM beam, and bright enough to make flowers bloom at midnight :wink:
But hers are single beams, whereas the 9008/H13 are dual beam.  Interwebs says Morimotos, but I'm not dropping $140 on a pair of bulbs, no way - no how.

• Staff

I’m about to pull the trigger for my 4th gen. I’m finding most bulbs above 2500lm have fans. 

Both my housings take 9005’s, but the high beam area is small and can only take a small bulb. The 9005 CSP mini by GTR is what I’ll likely go with for high beams and the Headlight Revolution V4 for the low beam. 

I'm just trying to determine what 3gen guys have experienced with light output and beam cleanliness.  I've read a lot of reviews that the JDM A-Stars seem to be really good for a dual-beam LED.  I know clocking the bulb is very important, as well.   I just bought new headlight housings for the truck as well (OEM style, nothing fancy or weird).

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The LEDs in my 1996 Dodge Ram are fanless 4,000 lumens. 

Integrated heat sinks - no fans or bulky braided heat sinks
Internal drivers for simple installation
4,000 Lumens of cool white (7200K) light/set
Can Bus compatible
Lifetime warranty

That reads as 4,000  lumens per set, so 2000 per bulb. Which is well within what I have found for fanless bulbs. 

My 9005's are 1700-1870 lumens (2 different styles), so 2000 lumens/bulb isn't much of an upgrade for me. 

The bulbs I am looking at are 2500 lumen/bulb and fanless for the high beams/fogs and 3600 lumen/bulb with a fan for the low beams. They are all 6000K, which is more inline with the color I'm looking for. 

I've never seen a 3rd gen LED bulb that didn't scatter light horriably.  Honestly some of the most unpleasant blindings I have had have been from a 3rd gen OEM housing with LED bulbs.   

Not sure what it was related to but I've not seen a good setup with PNP setups.  

I know with my beater 2008 Malibu and my wife's GLK350, it was all about bulb-clocking.  If it's not at 3-9 with the LEDs, it'll scatter horribly. 
However, both of those are single-element bulb-design (H7, H11).  With the 2/3G Ram, it's dual-element, which I've had no experience with.

Edited by Rogan

• Owner
21 hours ago, Rogan said:

With the 2/3G Ram, it's dual-element, which I've had no experience with.

I've got experience and it work great as long as its 3 and 9 position. Good pattern but no where good as a Quality HID (Morimoto D2S). Pattern is hot spotted in the highway has OK shoulder coverage. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man