• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

NP271 Tcase - Splitting the halves - pointers?

Anyone have any pointers or tool suggestions for splitting the NVG 271D/F tcase housing?  I am about to tackle one this weekend.  I've done about 4 or 5, but I always struggle with getting the halves to split.  Is there a tool or something I can make that will go between the lugs on the halves, to spread the pieces apart?  I've always used a hammer, punch, wood, whatever I can get my hands on to beat them apart..  I'd like maybe a simpler solution.

Thanks.

We'll see how hard it is to get back apart.  Wasn't but a couple of years ago, I tore in to this thing, last time, when I converted it from electric to manual select...
I think the chain has stretched..  It pops a lot under 4WD load..  sounds like maybe the gears are hopping in the chain..  Yes, I put new gears and chain in it last time..  FML.  Must be all that HP/TQ  lol

Yeah, I generally use my 28oz deadblow hammer.  Sometimes (often) it won't separate the halves, though. 
My buddy made a tool that would spread tongs apart (kinda like a scissor-jack or snap-ring pliers) to fit between the lugs on the tcase, but he can't find it now..  it worked like a boss!