• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Hello everyone,,

Is the reliability on these as bad as everyone says? I am considering buying one in the next 6 months as a winter beater for next winter, and really want to know what I could potentially be getting into. I know Dodge gets a bad rap. Yet I still see a decent number of them on the road.

I am aware that the trannys on these frequently go. Is it a fatal design flaw that causes this, or is it something that can be fixed with some steady maintenance and an extra tranny cooler?

Not trying to start a brand fight, just don't have as much experience with Dodges and was looking for some input.

The bad tranny comes from the Diesel trucks. The tranny was only good enough hold stock power and then if towing with it it would strain them. I use to see folks in a RV park complain about that while pulling 15k to 20k pound trailer.The stock tranny just could not do it. As far as the 1500's I think they are as good as any and any of them can be made better. As Dodge vs Ford vs chevy and the like, they all have there quirks but if taken of there no reason not to get longevity out of any of them.

The band anchor on the auto in the earlier second gen (and maybe later) is attached to an adjustment screw on the outside of the case. It has a tendency to fall out with wear of the band if it has never been adjusted. It is an easy fix, but a known issue. They are not any more unreliable that other truck transmissions of that time. Still just a mechanical automatic with a few solenoids. Otherwise they tend to be fairly reliable if taken care of.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, Moosewala said:

Hello everyone,,

Is the reliability on these as bad as everyone says? I am considering buying one in the next 6 months as a winter beater for next winter, and really want to know what I could potentially be getting into. I know Dodge gets a bad rap. Yet I still see a decent number of them on the road https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/ .

I am aware that the trannys on these frequently go. Is it a fatal design flaw that causes this, or is it something that can be fixed with some steady maintenance and an extra tranny cooler?

Not trying to start a brand fight, just don't have as much experience with Dodges and was looking for some input.

I recommend a second gen ram. It's my first ever vehicle and it rocks. A few mechanical issues over the last few years but that's because it's 17 years old.

• Administrator

I've got 2 of these trucks.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab (without Quad Doors), 5.9L V8 Gasser with a Dynamic built 46RE auto trans. 187k miles.

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L I6 Diesel NV4500 transmission. 419k miles.