• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil additive

so i tried searching for this specifically and no luck.

Seeing that the last engine oil change was 10k miles ago and 6 years, i dont drive truck that much. Is there a oil additive to put in after a couple years to refresh the additives in the oil that will degrade via time or is this even something to be concerned about?

seeing it took 6 years to get 10k on the truck no point in changing oil till 10k (which ive done since i owned it along with filter) seems better to save some money and put in an additive to refresh the oil.

rotella t 15-40 is what i use

thoughts?

Not sure if I'd let oil sit in engine 6 years regardless of miles. As soon as you ran it through the engine it starts to break down and become acidic. Oil in the jug can sit for ever but once used in engine it's your call. I've seen people get away with that even after 10 years, same oil is still in this one car I know of and it gets 100 miles a year maybe. I wouldn't go pass 2 years myself, if really had to 3. Amsoil makes some stuff that has additives to be able to go longer times and it's synthetic. If you're planning on doing long intervals I'd change to amsoil and a bypass filter from them. I got one in my sig, and using 90 filter, changing every 2 years. Regular oil filter and oil I change once a year roughly 10k on cen-pe-co parafine oli. 

Bmk21 is the bypass

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I change oil every 10k miles now. I'm at about 9k now on the current oil. 

Either NAPA 15w-40 year round or Valvoline Blue 15w-40 year round. I don't use any additives at all or synthetics. 419k miles...

miles im not worried about, its the time the oil goes before changing...  6 years...

the oil i just changed had 10k miles which im fine with however 2014 was when it was put in.

34 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Not sure if I'd let oil sit in engine 6 years regardless of miles. As soon as you ran it through the engine it starts to break down and become acidic. Oil in the jug can sit for ever but once used in engine it's your call. I've seen people get away with that even after 10 years, same oil is still in this one car I know of and it gets 100 miles a year maybe. I wouldn't go pass 2 years myself, if really had to 3. Amsoil makes some stuff that has additives to be able to go longer times and it's synthetic. If you're planning on doing long intervals I'd change to amsoil and a bypass filter from them. I got one in my sig, and using 90 filter, changing every 2 years. Regular oil filter and oil I change once a year roughly 10k on cen-pe-co parafine oli. 

Bmk21 is the bypass

i may just do it every 3 years then

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

If acid build up is a concern, look for an oil that has a high TBN (total base number). Can always send it off at the 3 year mark and see what they say. They make additives specifically for the TBN, I cannot say how well they work, never personally used them for that purpose.

• Like 1