• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24v injector install

Mine cross over tubes are original with 510k miles on them, 4 injector changes, a couple of removals for other purposes and I would not hesitate to use then again. The steel they are made from is the hardest steel you will find in the engine. My first injector change I chucked them in a drill and spun them and used a scotch brite pad to clean and polish the mating surfaces. The chuck did not leave a mark on them. I have no idea why every one seems to think they need changed regularly. If you want to fine and cant fault the idea. But I dont see the need. My personal opinion guys but 0 issues out my oe tubes.

The orings are a different story. I would use an old one in a pinch knowing It most likely will need to changed later. New one are much better.

I should add that I have heard the earlier year 24v tubes were not as resilient as the later year but I have no experience with them. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

I changed mine out trying to hunt down a miss. The end of one that mated up to the injector had a burr on it. Did a couple injector changes on them. After replacing them all truck ran better. I never pulled mine to do the injector changes. Until I replaced them. I would at least pull them and inspect them. And replace the o-rings. 

6 hours ago, Threadzy said:

I changed mine out trying to hunt down a miss. The end of one that mated up to the injector had a burr on it. Did a couple injector changes on them. After replacing them all truck ran better. I never pulled mine to do the injector changes. Until I replaced them. I would at least pull them and inspect them. And replace the o-rings. 

I agree, they are important. This video is of a common rail with higher pressures than the VP, but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xnV27QI1s

7 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Anything can wear out, I get that. Just seems i here folks swapping the tubes on injector changes a fair amount. Mine look like the did the firs time I took. Bought a couple back then thinking they needed changed. Still have them in boxes they came in. 

I am curious of how you changed injectors without pulling the tubes.

47 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

I agree, they are important. This video is of a common rail with higher pressures than the VP, but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xnV27QI1s

I agree they are important. As hard as the steel is in them they ought to out last any steel they touch. I know mine have. I remeber someone describing the filtration requirements of the CR engines made the VP truck filters look like colanders. They are definutely a different animal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I am curious of how you changed injectors without pulling the tubes.

Loosened up the fuel lines to the last thread or two. Threaded a valve cover bolts into the top of the injector. Then I used a pickle fork to pop them out. The crossover tubes shift back towards the fuel line when you pull the injector out. Then I would always put a little bit of grease on the side of the injector where the crossover tube would connect to it. Then tighten down the injector and fuel line. Did it about three times that way. And one time on my brother-in-law’s truck. That cross over tube might’ve been bad from the factory. Who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Loosened up the fuel lines to the last thread or two. Threaded a valve cover bolts into the top of the injector. Then I used a pickle fork to pop them out. The crossover tubes shift back towards the fuel line when you pull the injector out. Then I would always put a little bit of grease on the side of the injector where the crossover tube would connect to it. Then tighten down the injector and fuel line. Did it about three times that way. And one time on my brother-in-law’s truck. That cross over tube might’ve been bad from the factory. Who knows.

I never thought there would be enough room for the tube to move out of the way with the nuts on. Apparently there is. Live and learn. I have alwyas popped them out so I could put a new orings on and look at it. The one time I reused the orings sure enough I had a couple leaks that required removal. One of them was #6. Swore to never let that happen again. 

Just got done with a head gasket replacement on the wife's truck with about 185,000 miles on it.  I decided to have new Bosch 275 RV injectors, all new cross over tubes to ensure there were no problems to clean up after the engine was reassembled.  I think that was the prudent course of action being the head was off the engine and sent out to a shop for rebuild.  

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

430,000 rounds on original cross overs. Now I see that DAP is recommending new tubes because it's a 98 truck. I'll get new ones if I have to, but if I can reuse my old tubes that's $150 still in the pocket.

Thoughts?

Mark

I have 510k on mine and will keep using until one causes a problem. I have heard that the early 24v had not as robust a tube as the late models but l have no experience with them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Although the common rail runs higher pressures, I don't think that is as much of a factor as is the contamination the edge filters must deal with.  I think the key is the  phrase "common rail",  which means any metal from the high pressure pump and / or other components in the path of getting to the common rail will be fed directly into every injector.  This means that the edge filters could clog or be damaged easily.

From what I have read, the VP44 injection pumps hardly ever fail in the manner of sending metal debris downstream.  This could account for the edge filters staying very clean.  I checked the 2002 repair manual for installing injectors and there is no mention of replacing crossover tubes.  When I replaced my OEM injectors at 303,000 miles, I just inspected the tubes and re-used them.

- John

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dripley said:

I remeber someone describing the filtration requirements of the CR engines made the VP truck filters look like colanders. They are definutely a different animal.

The '03-'07 5.9 Fleetguard filter is 7 micron, the '00-'02 is 10. However, the Napa/Wix is 7 micron for the '00-'02, that's what I use. 

I did order the tubes with my new RV's, just because...still waiting on the backordered injectors.

This thread/issue was fixed with the new tubes.

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/9721-odd-injector-misfire/

• Like 1

I have no doubt they can fail. Just seems I see folks swapping them just because. It does not hurt anything. Me I use anything as long as it will last and these tubes still seal fine and I have had no issues with them. The 2 I bought many years ago are still in the boxes they came in. Though they might be in the truck and 2 oe ones might be in the boxes. I know I tried them and really dont remember which ones ended up in the box. Pretty sure I put them in on my injector install and had a couple leaks I could not stop. When put them in I tightened the hold downs then the lines. I had to go back and loosen the hold downs and lines then tighten the lines before the hold downs and leaks stopped. That was a valuable lesson day.

Being that the wife's truck had over 185,000 miles on it, I decided to replace the crossover tubes out of an abundance of caution.  When a friend and I installed the F1 Mach 1.6 injectors, we decided to reuse the crossover tubes being that my engine had under 50,000 miles and they have worked fine as best I can tell.  If you are doing the work yourself, going back inside the engine to replace the crossover tubes is just the cost of the tubes.  When you are paying a shop to do it, I want it all to go back together RIGHT the first time and minimize any chances of problems.  

• Like 2