• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Dies sometimes

• Owner

Best having the straw in the tank not the sender. Returning hot fuel to the VP44 isn't good. The the measurement for inside the sender is very limited. This why I kept my draw straw where it at for over 20 years now always been able to draw the tank empty (actually empty on the gauge). All about how tight you can get the tip to the bottom of the tank as when it gets empty. When you fill the tank the bottom will deflect downward another 1/8" of so. Never measure with a tank that has fuel in it. Never had 1/4 slosh problems and always had cooler fuel temps than most. 

420k miles and ticking...

• Staff
8 hours ago, Rustic AK said:

Ok. I have the raptor draw straw in the bottom of the gutted factory  fuel bowl module. And the return fuel goes into that bowl. Maybe should go with a set up like yours. Straight draw straw and the return fuel just dump in from the the top of the tank. 

Thanks 

Both my second gens have the return fuel plumbed into the filler neck. I like being able to see the amount of return flow when the cap is removed and it also helps mix the 2 stroke when pouring in.

• Owner

So fuel systems don't return at all. Like Dodge DDRP pumps. These pumps are known for cavitation problems.

Pumps that return like AirDog, FASS with twin filters typically will return to the filler neck for air removal and return from the regulator of the pump. These typically return to the filler neck like @JAG1said. 

Still the engine fuel return is still in the stock sender of the tank. I don't want to draw up fuel that is heated to near coolant level being it drains out of the back of the head from the injectors. The the heated fuel from the injection pump. All dump back in a sump of the sender heated to near coolant temps. So my old drawstraw that everyone hates is the best option for cooled fuel and reducing the VP44 fuel temps. Even in the winter time with my stock filter I can still keep the fuel warm enough to prevent gelling at -40*F which I did several times no problem. 

I have never had a lick a trouble out of mine either. No temp sensor in mine but I always wondered how warm the return fuel from the pump is. The return fuel from the engine has been falling back to the basket since it was new Not knocking anyone set up because they all seem to work fine. 

• Owner

Like I was figuring out guys in the south with high fuel temp passing 150°F to 160°F where I don't see that problem the only thing I can wrap it up with is the fact the source of new fuel in the sender is captive where the hot fuel is stored. Then suck up the heat fuel again and again heating up. Pumps will only recirculate the hot fuel back in forth in that small cup of the fuel tank sender and wonder why the fuel temp is high. Since I installed my AirDog 150 back in 2006... I've not seen any Asphaltene in my filters since then. Fuel temps remain much lower than most that use the fuel sender cup for capture point. 

I guess to compare apples to apples we would have compare the fuel baskets. Mine is not oe but the in tank pump basket. Mine is about 2.5" deep and maybe 3.5" in diameter. The pics I have seen of the oe basket shows it to be many more inches deep but similar diameter. I am figuring that there is a fair amount of fuel mixing going on from the tank and the pickup is getting alot more than just returned fuel until the tank gets low.