• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vp44 dead?

So I've been trying to get my truck going, and it's been hell. 

I bought a set of 150hp injector tips, and used the pop tester at school to set the pop off pressures (all were at or just under 4500psi,stock recommended pressure), put them in along with new o-rings, and copper washers. 

I got the truck started, and it idles great. But as soon as I roll on the throttle, it pops, sputters, tons of smoke. Its been doing this, and I've pulled it apart about three times checking to make sure I didn't rip or tear any o-rings during assembly.  So far everything looks good, everything is torqued to spec. Fuel pressure is a steady 20 psi. 

Do I suspect the injection pump now? Or where else would you all recommend looking? 

I will say when the truck was running, every now and then it would sputter badly, and tons of white smoke would come out of the exhaust. If I turned the truck off then on again, it would clear up. I suspect the timing piston is seizing up in the pump, but I'm not 100% sure either. 

Thanks for the help! 

Quadzilla is unhooked, and the only codes it's throwing is the map and boost sensor codes because quadzilla isn't hooked up.

I talked to a local mechanic, and he suggested try a crankshaft position sensor? I did replace the camshaft position sensor whilst trying to diagnose this problem.

BTW, which sensor feeds the tach signal? Mine is working, but I'm just curious.

• Owner
On 9/22/2020 at 9:00 PM, Ravewolf said:

P0216 means it's dead, right? 

No longer capable of setting timing correctly in the given time. It will run still but the economy and power will be poor. Timing piston is more or less jammed and not moving properly any longer hence the code. More or less on a gas engine like taking the vacuum advance off a distributor and taking out the fly weights. Then set the distributor to a retarded timing and drive that. Power is low and economy is poor.