• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 2500 Rapid Torque Converter Cycling

• Owner

I would have to refer you to @Dynamiche's our site transmission guru. He should be able to tell us why the torque convert is cycling all the time on you. Jon Elford is a good guy. He's built my 46RE to be pretty bulletproof for 5.9L V8 gasser. Even when last winter my 1996 Dodge was dropping to first gear randomly he had the answer. 

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/173-dynamic-transmissions/

• Like 1

I’m to the point to where I’m wondering if it might be PCM related. Like I said, the pickup quits downshifting and cutting throttle when the thermostat opens. I am honestly lost and frustrated at this point.

Check the control cable for sticking or frayed wire and make sure the return spring on the tranny is good. Also check for dirt, mud, snow packed in the cable area. While your under there unplug the tranny wiring and clean connectors. You might try swapping  the trans relay in the PDC with one of the other ones. Did you relocate the PCM ground with the WT mod? That part of the mod is very important.

36 minutes ago, Great work! said:

Check the control cable for sticking or frayed wire and make sure the return spring on the tranny is good. Also check for dirt, mud, snow packed in the cable area. While your under there unplug the tranny wiring and clean connectors. You might try swapping  the trans relay in the PDC with one of the other ones. Did you relocate the PCM ground with the WT mod? That part of the mod is very important.

Where is the pcm ground located? I might not have seen that part of the article.

Okay, I talked to Dynamic and changed the coolant temp sensor, and also jumped the transmission relay. Neither worked. I did manage to get a video of the problem tonight to try to describe what the pickup is doing, if it may hell with further diagnosis.

Looks like electrical problems. Your fuel pressure gauge is in perfect time with your tach jumping around with whatever else you got going on. Does it make it worse on a rough road? How does it work when you shove the skinny pedal to the carpet & hold it there? Can you replicate it in different conditions?.

Your playing with fire running a Smarty with that low of fuel pressure!

It does get worse on rough roads. When I board the accelerator it stumbles and defuels, then starts accelerating, then repeats in this condition. I have an air dog Raptor 100 and it was set at 20 psi at idle and it dropped to 14, now it’s at 16 at idle and 10 at wot, I’ll have to readjust. Only time I can replicate it is when the pickup has been sitting and is somewhat cool, and ambient temps are below 60°. As soon as the temp on the dash reads 190° everything is normal and it functions as intended. I have checked for AC interference, there is minimal (20mV iirc) and there are no codes. 

This is what happens during wot before the temp gauge reads 190. Tuning returned to stock, same as the last video. It appears as if the rougher the road the worse it is. It also seems to be getting worse the colder it gets.

Here’s a list of what I’ve done to try to cure this issue in order:

-  Cleaned battery connections

-  W-T ground mods

-  Relocated alternator charge wire to passenger side battery with 150 amp circuit breaker

-  Timbo apps sensor (cured p0121 dead pedal)

-  New alternator

-  Unhooked field wire to alternator

-  New coolant temp sensor

-  Jumped transmission relay

-  Returned tuning to stock map via smarty

Edited by Bfranz
Added info