• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Prices... We need to discuss a price change....

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

I will right something up my brain is thinkinng and send it to you. Bit it will be tomorrow.

I'll take a crack at it tonight after work and we can always change it.

So whatever you come up with today I can certainly include in the page.  It's easy to edit it.

7 hours ago, dripley said:

I will right something up my brain is thinkinng and send it to you. Bit it will be tomorrow.

I did some work on this this evening.  Take a look and let me know if it makes sense or needs any more info in it.

I know I've brought this up before and didn't get a response, so maybe the idea is just THAT bad, but what would it take to set up being an Amazon Associate?  https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/welcome/getstarted

We all post links to things we buy and/or recommend, and this monetizes those non-paying visitors to the site.

Also, for all the talk of PayPal, what about the Amazon checkout "thing"? I hardly ever use my PayPal account, but add things to my Amazon cart several times per week, so I actually remember the password! I imagine other visitors would fall in the same boat and be more apt to donate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LorenS said:

I know I've brought this up before and didn't get a response, so maybe the idea is just THAT bad, but what would it take to set up being an Amazon Associate?  https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/welcome/getstarted

We all post links to things we buy and/or recommend, and this monetizes those non-paying visitors to the site.

Also, for all the talk of PayPal, what about the Amazon checkout "thing"? I hardly ever use my PayPal account, but add things to my Amazon cart several times per week, so I actually remember the password! I imagine other visitors would fall in the same boat and be more apt to donate.

Not a bad idea.  The thing is from what I understand the adminsitrative overhead (time) for Mopar1973Man is rediculously high.  Adding another thing for him to administer at this point is probably not realistic.

That's a good idea once we get past the nutty upgrade stuff and trying to teach people how to pick up some of the slack, I'm trying to learn some of that stuff now to help out.

1 minute ago, LorenS said:

4.5% commission on Automotive stuff seems pretty good and may be worth the effort. $150 headlights would yield $6.75. Not enough to retire, but maybe buy fuel for the day!

I totally agree but there are only so many hours in the day and the back end issues have to come first.  MM has been working tirelessly on those issues in the wee hours of the morning.  I have set up those accounts before and it take a bit of time to organize it and then the tracking/bokeeping can be very time consuming as well.

• Owner
10 hours ago, LorenS said:

4.5% commission on Automotive stuff seems pretty good and may be worth the effort. $150 headlights would yield $6.75. Not enough to retire, but maybe buy fuel for the day!

Problem. If I go to selling parts that I'm already prepared out for doing I've got agreements with both DAP and Vulcan Performance in place. My problem is I'm the one stuck taking the phone calls of the upset of people that screwed up and need to return products or whatever. My problem is trying to build a system that all the staff can work from the back end of the software so if there is a problem them they can submit a support ticket and one of the staff can jump in and help this spreads the workload out. Not all focus on me directly which is right now. 

My thought on it is to anyone with a product problem can leave a support ticket and then one of the staff members can use the phone number on file and call the person back and discuss this issue with parts. Again this takes me out of the focus and allows all staff to handle. I can't be at the phone 100% of the time, I still got to work my other jobs too, and sometimes I would like to take a day or two off as well. Hence why it's important to have your profile filled in and correct. 

Hence why I didn't want to do the Paypal donation link again if some go wrong I'm the only one that can log into Paypal and fix the issue. If we keep everything to the website and staff, not a problem. It can become a security problem. Hence why the website has a huge permission mask that can limit all these functions for a particular task. 

Like @leety said we are building the system up to do these functions. My biggest problem I've got to face very soon is the server move. The current server is no longer updating already and software is going to be unprotected soon to hackers. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

a proper affliate program redirects to the user to site that has the product.  Nothing should be done on our side to support the transaction or the product.  

We ran Viglink for affliate for a long time and I am not aware of anyone that came back to us to support whatever they bought.   Same thing as Adsense in a sort of way that is an affliate program.  We have never had someone come to us about what they bought in an ad. 

We get paid for the traffic to the vendor, the vendor gets paid by selling and supporting.   Mopar1973man.com is not a online store it is information repository.  

• Like 2

• Owner

Already running a program with Quadzilla. 

https://quadzillapower.com/?ref=woderkreaee

There are links over in the Quadzilla forum already. 

As for this has been up for months now... Nothing. I made the link and kept them here for the chance if some one wanted to buy I would either copy the link for them or send them to the page either way. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

we need more than a few items.  

If you look at the model that the site runs on it is all about traffic to 1000's of articles only a few are vastly more popular than others.  On average the most popular pages are the 2nd gen subpage with ~%4 traffic, then following that the  main page at %2 then from that point it is random pages and articles with a faction of a %.   The most popular pages below #2 never get even close to %.05 of the the total traffic per month.

That's the power of the site, the traffic landing page is so diverse,  any 1 article could be taken down without a major inpact on traffic.   

Viglink worked well but the Return $$ was factions of a penny on the dollar never paid worth a darn.   If we could have something similar like viglink but direct to amazon it would be a different ballgame.   

It's all about the sheer number of articles the site has, need to leverage that.

• Owner

Missing on major factor. 

image.png

Majority of the traffic is on a mobile device with small screens. 

Then when you look at how Google rating the pages. I need to lighten them up. I've managed to shed some of the weight off the mobile devices. But I cannot really add more without tipping the Google ranking into the red. Just in stripping the sidebar off the mobile group light the page for them huge and at least brought us back to needs improvement mode. 

image.png

As for desktop was left with the sidebar... And you can see the difference. I've got to be careful of the page load and try to reduce times. 

image.png

I cant do much about this being that I could most likely gain a bunch on the new server when I get there unknown as of yet. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I guess I don't understand what Mobile versus Desktop has to do with being an "affiliate".  I'm not a lawyer but the way I read the very small amount of description they give, along with some other articles I found written by "influencers" and bloggers and their experiences, it seems like just having the links we members post in the forums are good enough.  If someone clicks that link I posted long ago about the different headlight housings I used to do the Projector retrofit, and they buy those lights (apparently within 24 hours for Amazon, so that sucks) then you would get 4.5% not just on the housings, but also the assigned percentage on anything else they buy during that trip - if they buy a hairdryer or dog food, you get a commission on that, too!  That's a SUPER easy way for us members to help out and feed money your way. 

Let's say I need a torque wrench. I follow ANY Amazon link on this site, then ignore that item and go buy my torque wrench - you get a percentage of the torque wrench sale.  You don't answer a phone, you don't do much of anything beyond what you do now, most important of which is make a website I want to visit and support!

With Christmas shopping starting soon, if there's ANY way someone can help get this set up in the next couple of weeks to get the bugs worked out by Thanksgiving - and the spreading of the word to site visitors - it SEEMS to me like it could really be a good payday.  I admit I don't know that for certain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LorenS said:

I guess I don't understand what Mobile versus Desktop has to do with being an "affiliate".  I'm not a lawyer but the way I read the very small amount of description they give, along with some other articles I found written by "influencers" and bloggers and their experiences, it seems like just having the links we members post in the forums are good enough.  If someone clicks that link I posted long ago about the different headlight housings I used to do the Projector retrofit, and they buy those lights (apparently within 24 hours for Amazon, so that sucks) then you would get 4.5% not just on the housings, but also the assigned percentage on anything else they buy during that trip - if they buy a hairdryer or dog food, you get a commission on that, too!  That's a SUPER easy way for us members to help out and feed money your way. 

Let's say I need a torque wrench. I follow ANY Amazon link on this site, then ignore that item and go buy my torque wrench - you get a percentage of the torque wrench sale.  You don't answer a phone, you don't do much of anything beyond what you do now, most important of which is make a website I want to visit and support!

With Christmas shopping starting soon, if there's ANY way someone can help get this set up in the next couple of weeks to get the bugs worked out by Thanksgiving - and the spreading of the word to site visitors - it SEEMS to me like it could really be a good payday.  I admit I don't know that for certain.

As I see it there are several issues that make this a possibly good idea for later, in which some serous thought bandwidth would have to be invested to set it up in a way that is not a detriment.

1) This is a support site so people are in the headspace of wanting support, so if we have a product page where they pruchase so even though they would have to seek Amazon to get refuds etc, the will still contact this site about it as well and those requests would still have to be responded to.

2) Tou still have to set up a product website page with the links to Amazon, that represents more work for the already overworked.  In this case you would need a seppearte store front for that, outside of the products soldy by Mopar1973Man

3) There is another thing to keep track of and people from here could easily have expectations that we know who purchased what through our Amazon afilliate store page.

It's not as simple as you might think.  I have another client that is having a pile of issues from doing this.  At a certain point this can just become a loss leader with the time it could spunge up.

11 minutes ago, leety said:

Tou still have to set up a product website page with the links to Amazon

Why?  Do bloggers and "influencers" have these?  The first I heard of this program years ago was on www.amazingribs.com  He sure didn't have product website pages, he had links in his recipes, reviews, science-based cooking articles, etc.  He was VERY up front about asking us to route through his webpage to get to Amazon, and also WHY - it was "free" money for him to help keep up the site!

Maybe they are needed, but unless this is known for a fact I wouldn't assume these special product pages are needed.  If your neighbor received a $50 referral fee for getting you to use the same house painter, would you call your neighbor about warranty work?  You may toss a side-eye the next time you meet, but not demand he or she fix any problems!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Why?  Do bloggers and "influencers" have these?  The first I heard of this program years ago was on www.amazingribs.com  He sure didn't have product website pages, he had links in his recipes, reviews, science-based cooking articles, etc.  He was VERY up front about asking us to route through his webpage to get to Amazon, and also WHY - it was "free" money for him to help keep up the site!

Maybe they are needed, but unless this is known for a fact I wouldn't assume these special product pages are needed.  If your neighbor received a $50 referral fee for getting you to use the same house painter, would you call your neighbor about warranty work?  You may toss a side-eye the next time you meet, but not demand he or she fix any problems!

That's a fair and good question.

Generally speaking bloggers don't offer technical support for a fee.

It's all about context.  So you dude on Youtube doing a review for his favorite generator is not provideing service for generators on a website like this. 

You're house painting commpairson is a false comparison. 

I was a service writer at several auto shops and car dealers.  I also wrote custom corporate software and did IT support for years.  Tech support space is a completely different head space from what you are talking about.  Unless you've worked in a support service industry you won't know about it.  People become verry different when they are trying to solve techincal problems that they don't really understand.  The people providing the tech suport have to be therapists and teachers at the same time.  Pluse they have to be the target of people's frustrations with their situations.  It's not always fun yo.

This is a tech support website.  And it's a subscription and for fee based service.  It's just not the same environment nor are there the same expectations from the end users here as bloggers "influencers" or youtubers.  That's a horse of a different color.

11 minutes ago, leety said:

And it's a subscription and for fee based service. 

Well it is now, but does it need to be, as long as the bills - including staff - is paid?  Does it matter where the money comes from?  I feel your service writer comparison is a false equivalency - when I directly pay someone to diagnose my kid's cough, my transmission, etc., you better believe I expect follow up support, to a degree, from them!  But if Mike or ANYONE recommends some seat covers and posts a link to said seat covers, what nincompoop is going to want follow up support from the member - or Admin - who recommended some seat covers?  Or a tablet mount, purple Loc-Tite for APPS screw, or military-style battery terminals?  This isn't the same as calling and talking to Mike's 1-900 number at $40/hr (or whatever it costs).  A simple "Thank you for visiting the site, but we didn't sell that to you.  We didn't even recommend something we do not use or would not try. So, take it up with Amazon or the seller" - [click] - should suffice!

There may be some reasons to not go the affiliate route, but I think that making decisions based on the reactions of the lowest common denominators that visit the site is the wrong approach.  Proverbial 2-cents.

• Like 2