• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Prices... We need to discuss a price change....

@leety

we had viglink running for years to automatically put links into articles based on keywords.  We have had 0 support requests from people that bought something through the links.  

Affliate programs don't create user level  support for us.  even if someone did buy something and asks us for help with it, then it is not our place to support them.  They should go to the manufacturer, that should be our policy.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

@leety

we had viglink running for years to automatically put links into articles based on keywords.  We have had 0 support requests from people that bought something through the links.  

Affliate programs don't create user level  support for us.  even if someone did buy something and asks us for help with it, then it is not our place to support them.  They should go to the manufacturer, that should be our policy.

Thank you for that info.  I was working off of theory and some things Mike seems to be concerned with, but you know that history.  

I personally think this is a great idea.

Viglink just paid us nearly nothing so we need a better program.  I was pitching DAP if we could get it setup or amazon would be good too, but that takes time to setup. Without a direction to advance in it got left to the side.   Took much going on.    

I think if we could setup a DAP program it would fit nice as we have a lot of articles that point right to diesel products.  however I dont think DAP has a program yet.  so what we are left with is Amazon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Viglink just paid us nearly nothing so we need a better program.  I was pitching DAP if we could get it setup or amazon would be good too, but that takes time to setup. Without a direction to advance in it got left to the side.   Took much going on.    

I think if we could setup a DAP program it would fit nice as we have a lot of articles that point right to diesel products.  however I dont think DAP has a program yet.  so what we are left with is Amazon.

The Amazon set up is time consuming to set up.  And Amazon product links are always changing so it would present an ongoing maintenance overhead to keep the links up to date.  That’s a process which could not be automated.

32 minutes ago, leety said:

That’s a process which could not be automated.

Is this something that a non-computer person, such as myself, could volunteer to update?  If one of the links one of my posts gets outdated, I could 'edit' the post later and update the link, but can a admin permission be made that allows for just updating links in another member's post?  Or if we find the links that are outdated and send the thread AND updated link to 'site maintenance' for an existing admin to fix, that would at least eliminate the time consuming portion of FINDING the old links!  Either way, if it takes a person to Amazon and they then search for the part number and buy it, the money comes in, though obviously updated links make it more likely a sale is made.

The task of keeping articles up to date with links to amazon would be huge.    we have somewhere around 500 articles and having to search and update links as you find them would be a fulltime job.

Edited by Me78569

Just now, Me78569 said:

The task of keeping articles up to date with links to amazon would be huge.    

No doubt!

48 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Is this something that a non-computer person, such as myself, could volunteer to update?  If one of the links one of my posts gets outdated, I could 'edit' the post later and update the link, but can a admin permission be made that allows for just updating links in another member's post?  Or if we find the links that are outdated and send the thread AND updated link to 'site maintenance' for an existing admin to fix, that would at least eliminate the time consuming portion of FINDING the old links!  Either way, if it takes a person to Amazon and they then search for the part number and buy it, the money comes in, though obviously updated links make it more likely a sale is made.

A broken link will lead to either a frustraed user who now perceives the site as out-of-date and obsolete. That could lead to bad article reviews.  It can also lead to a support ticket.

None of those are favorable outcomes.

I don't really know how often the amazon links change, the few I've tested recently have worked.  Ebay is a COMPLETELY different story.

I don't know if this is allowed by the Affiliate Rules, but maybe providing a link to the "search results" of a particular part number would be less likely to get outdated.  And, let's be honest that once a thread is dated, no one really expects the links to work 100%.  This is why I try to post part numbers and manufacturer when I also post a link to an item, so people can copy and paste the part number if/when the link is broken or reassigned.  If we're worried about broken links degrading the impression of this site, then all links need to be removed - we already have dead links, but NONE of them are sending commissions to this site!

By becoming an affiliate, I see two changes:

1. It does cause some labor for an Admin to setup the Affiliate Account and update any changes to bank account number, addresses, 'general paperwork' for maintaining affiliation.
  2. Money starts coming in.

We already have links recommending products, for instance Mike's headlight article.  @Me78569's article about projector headlights ALSO recommends a certain headlight housing; if you get questions about those housings you'll continue to get questions but at least some money might roll in when we buy those housings - and also when we add completely unrelated items to the cart for Christmas!

If it becomes a huge hassle, then cancel it.  What is there to lose in trying?  Also, it doesn't have to be Amazon, but surely that's the most likely to net the most money due to the size of the pie (the number of Amazon shoppers).

https://pypi.org/project/LinkChecker/

there’s a Python thing that does pretty much just that, I haven’t looked into it really but looks promising. 

EDIT: So I'm testing the link checker right now, and it's just crawling the entire website for dead links related to this website.

I'll have to do some more digging to see if I can make it only crawl for posted links or what have you.

Edited by Mason The Dev
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to pay for the membership yearly.

I'll also endorse the Amazon link idea - that has been known to be a strong revenue driver. A couple of years ago when I looked at the program, those links paid out on anything the user bought within a set time of following the link, and people were happy with it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grib said:

I'm happy to pay for the membership yearly.

I'll also endorse the Amazon link idea - that has been known to be a strong revenue driver. A couple of years ago when I looked at the program, those links paid out on anything the user bought within a set time of following the link, and people were happy with it.

Thank you!

If you have any spare time it would be awesome if you could write some reviews on articles you found helpful in the past. 

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/

It helps bump our search engine rating and in turn our revenue from the google adds goes up bit by bit.

Edited by leety
  • Like 1