Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

     

Prices... We need to discuss a price change....


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

The 3 tier system will be gone soon. (silver, gold and platinum). I'm going to be rebuilding the permission mask and continue to ask question about about features for the plan. Just the simple fact of more we grow the more it will cost in the long haul. Some people don't even know the database that holds all the post and messages is now nearly 1 GB in total. With over 1.1 million entries to the MySQL database. This is all the text of the forum.

 

image.png

 

Then there is a total of 120GB here for storage, after LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) I'm left with 48GB used with the forum included. We have 65 GB left.

image.png

 

This is another question to you ALL. How much storage space would be fair per the 10 (mo) /100 (yr). If I've got 7,8xx members. How much storage do you all figure you use in your attachments of photos, garage area, etc. This is a total amount. 

 

The biggest problem is the current hosting company does not migrate for you at all. They do not provide any means for upgrading software. Just to give a clue the first time the update went bad. It left me with a error message saying I needed to make a writable folder. So for me to download a backup copy of the server it took nearly 4 hours to get it downloaded at 27 MBit/Second speed. No bad. But the upload speed here is super slow at 2.2 MBit which now to re-upload all the server data was a bit over 26 hours. This is partially what a migrate is like being the same action is done. The only difference with a bit of Linux skill you can call out scp (Secure CoPy) and it will transfer all the data over a backbone. But this requires two domain names typically. (old mopar1973man.com to mopar1973man.NET) which is how I did it last time. Typically it takes me 3 to 5 days to get this done. (Reconfig the server, etc.)Hence why I'm going to let the new hosting company do it. New company said it would be 15 to 30 minutes of down time. To me that is worth paying extra $200 to have it moved. This why most of the server software is creating issues against the forum software. Just the foundation (LAMP) is out of date. I've never had to migrate cPanel and WHM so this should be interesting... :whistle:

 

This is why I'm doing all this being the server is out of date, and all my software is up to date so when I move things should improve ofr performance. Better performance is a better Google Ranking. Yes page load times do impact how we are ranked against other websites. Hence why I do more work in the background trying to shave off another 1 second of load times. 

 

As you can see Google doesn't like us much...

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-32-29.png

 

I can't do much with an out of date server. Now if I can reduce the load times on pages and get both of these near the green at least or reduce the page loading times I could place better in the Google Search Engine.  Now to show this... Let's to a search for "vp44 pump removal" we are the top entry even beat BlueChip. 

 

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-37-02.png

 

To keep these kind of ranking up I need a server that is up to date and start working at shaving the load times back. More I do the most my average rank will rise. Right now we are roughly 13.1 for average placement. Means most of our stuff is on the second page of Google where most do not look beyond the first page. 

 

Some people think it just copy and pasting to make articles. Well not really. That part is super easy but the formatting typically is destroy on the pasting to the editor box. So I got to flip to source mode and sort out the raw HTML and get the layout correct again. Then while I'm doing all that add the SEO code to the each article so Google understands what the document is about. This is the important part. Which I need to go back and re-write most of the articles now to freshen the publish date and then add in the missing code. 

 

This is what you see...

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-43-15.png

 

This is what I work with. Take a look the formatting is clean and proper usage of HTML code. 

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-43-19.png

 

There is a ton of work for me to do. I've got all the books for 4th gens but need to get them in when there is free time. The copy and paste is easy but proper HTML5 and CSS3 coding it not easy. This points back to the requirements that Google needs to be a good ranking. Takes about hour per article to do right. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Subscriptions on the site have been happening. There are things about it that just aren't making the grade. Now after Paypal takes there cut of 2.9% and 30 cents per transaction.   SUBSCRIPT

I used to get a monthly notice for a PayPal payment for the site. Haven’t been getting it. I’d be more than happy to pay $100 for a year. This site has saved me way more than that on my truck. Plus I

FWIW I planned to upgrade to the platinum package when the time came simply based off the amount of mature and helpful people which roam this website. I have received more help here than any forum in

Posted Images

Well that lost me once I got out of the first paragraph. I am not techy enough for the rest. As far as a 3 tiered system goes I think you ought to keep it or something similar. If all any one had to choose from was $100 memebership then I believe some will be scared off. While I know the 100 bucks is worth it, alot of folks are just going for what info they can get for free. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

The only thing is if I do keep the tier system it will go up in price from there... Not down. 

 

Monthly $10, $20 and $30 but that means when you times it by 12 months. turns to yearly at $120, $240, $360 a year. That's the problem I cannot go below $10 a month or $100 a year. Because we were at 1.99, 2.99 and 5.99 which turns to 23.88, 34.88, 71.88 a year, which the yearly ($20, $25, and $45) barely could pay the server bill and nothing more. So $10 a month has to be the bottom. Only goes up from there. Just look backwards $100 a year changes back to mere $8.33 a month when divided by 12. So the yearly plan is actually a better deal saving about $1.67 per month for $20.04 savings per year vs. monthly.

 

So... The $100 a year (possibly $200 and $300 a year) but no going down from there. Even $100 a year is $8.33 a month and 27 cents a day. That's it. If I go down in price all anyone will do is like we learned is jump on the $1.99 plan get what they need and bail out. So now the raid the entire site as much as they can and run with downloads of books and any information they can get. Hence why the short fall of paying the bills.

 

Being transparent look at the numbers for yourself. Do the math...Figure the site needs at least $5000.00 a year to function with all bills paid. That doesn't even pay me for my time. Remember the inactive of the yearly is LAST YEARS income. Doesn't count towards this years bills. 

image.png

 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, dripley said:

I never really considered the daily and monthly plans.

The only reason I left the monthly so people had a cheaper option than getting $100 a year. Some folks are just on a super limited budget. The only reason I'm breaking down that low is to show how very little amount per day works out. I'm fine with yearly plan too. Just like the server bill... If I pay it monthly its... ($1,668 per year or $4.56 per day)

 

 

image.png

Then if I pay it yearly... $1,188 per year (or $3.25 per day). That's a $480 dollar savings per year.

image.png

I'm doing the same with $10 a month and $100 a year. Since $10 a month times 12 is $120. You end up with a savings on the yearly plan just like what my hosting company is doing. 

 

The other thing I've got to look at is limiting the FREE side as much as possible. I just can't do this for free any longer. This is the server I will be moving to here in the next few weeks. 

 

Again look at the amount of space I get just a mere 150 GB of hard drive. How do you divide that up per user and give a fair amount of storage for everyone without running out of space? See I've got to figure that out too. I can't compete with Google Drive at $1.99 a 100 GB. It going to cost $1,188 a year for 150 GB. Lots of stuff to figure out. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Board Of Directors
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only reason I left the monthly so people had a cheaper option than getting $100 a year. Some folks are just on a super limited budget. The only reason I'm breaking down that low is to show how very little amount per day works out. I'm fine with yearly plan too. Just like the server bill... If I pay it monthly its... ($1,668 per year or $4.56 per day)

 

 

image.png

Then if I pay it yearly... $1,188 per year (or $3.25 per day). That's a $480 dollar savings per year.

image.png

I'm doing the same with $10 a month and $100 a year. Since $10 a month times 12 is $120. You end up with a savings on the yearly plan just like what my hosting company is doing. 

 

The other thing I've got to look at is limiting the FREE side as much as possible. I just can't do this for free any longer. This is the server I will be moving to here in the next few weeks. 

 

Again look at the amount of space I get just a mere 150 GB of hard drive. How do you divide that up per user and give a fair amount of storage for everyone without running out of space? See I've got to figure that out too. I can't compete with Google Drive at $1.99 a 100 GB. It going to cost $1,188 a year for 150 GB. Lots of stuff to figure out. 

I've been using this hosting company forever.  https://123ehost.com/business-hosting/ Solid place seems a bit less expensive than that one you are looking at.  I would readily pay $100/year and then donate more for each time I get help from the forum.  Every time you guys have saved me I have wanted to give $ for the help but had no way to do that.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The 3 tier system will be gone soon. (silver, gold and platinum). I'm going to be rebuilding the permission mask and continue to ask question about about features for the plan. Just the simple fact of more we grow the more it will cost in the long haul. Some people don't even know the database that holds all the post and messages is now nearly 1 GB in total. With over 1.1 million entries to the MySQL database. This is all the text of the forum.

 

image.png

 

Then there is a total of 120GB here for storage, after LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) I'm left with 48GB used with the forum included. We have 65 GB left.

image.png

 

This is another question to you ALL. How much storage space would be fair per the 10 (mo) /100 (yr). If I've got 7,8xx members. How much storage do you all figure you use in your attachments of photos, garage area, etc. This is a total amount. 

 

The biggest problem is the current hosting company does not migrate for you at all. They do not provide any means for upgrading software. Just to give a clue the first time the update went bad. It left me with a error message saying I needed to make a writable folder. So for me to download a backup copy of the server it took nearly 4 hours to get it downloaded at 27 MBit/Second speed. No bad. But the upload speed here is super slow at 2.2 MBit which now to re-upload all the server data was a bit over 26 hours. This is partially what a migrate is like being the same action is done. The only difference with a bit of Linux skill you can call out scp (Secure CoPy) and it will transfer all the data over a backbone. But this requires two domain names typically. (old mopar1973man.com to mopar1973man.NET) which is how I did it last time. Typically it takes me 3 to 5 days to get this done. (Reconfig the server, etc.)Hence why I'm going to let the new hosting company do it. New company said it would be 15 to 30 minutes of down time. To me that is worth paying extra $200 to have it moved. This why most of the server software is creating issues against the forum software. Just the foundation (LAMP) is out of date. I've never had to migrate cPanel and WHM so this should be interesting... :whistle:

 

This is why I'm doing all this being the server is out of date, and all my software is up to date so when I move things should improve ofr performance. Better performance is a better Google Ranking. Yes page load times do impact how we are ranked against other websites. Hence why I do more work in the background trying to shave off another 1 second of load times. 

 

As you can see Google doesn't like us much...

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-32-29.png

 

I can't do much with an out of date server. Now if I can reduce the load times on pages and get both of these near the green at least or reduce the page loading times I could place better in the Google Search Engine.  Now to show this... Let's to a search for "vp44 pump removal" we are the top entry even beat BlueChip. 

 

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-37-02.png

 

To keep these kind of ranking up I need a server that is up to date and start working at shaving the load times back. More I do the most my average rank will rise. Right now we are roughly 13.1 for average placement. Means most of our stuff is on the second page of Google where most do not look beyond the first page. 

 

Some people think it just copy and pasting to make articles. Well not really. That part is super easy but the formatting typically is destroy on the pasting to the editor box. So I got to flip to source mode and sort out the raw HTML and get the layout correct again. Then while I'm doing all that add the SEO code to the each article so Google understands what the document is about. This is the important part. Which I need to go back and re-write most of the articles now to freshen the publish date and then add in the missing code. 

 

This is what you see...

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-43-15.png

 

This is what I work with. Take a look the formatting is clean and proper usage of HTML code. 

Screenshot from 2020-09-25 05-43-19.png

 

There is a ton of work for me to do. I've got all the books for 4th gens but need to get them in when there is free time. The copy and paste is easy but proper HTML5 and CSS3 coding it not easy. This points back to the requirements that Google needs to be a good ranking. Takes about hour per article to do right. 

Okay yea I was writing HTML script back in 1995 and I still can.  Back then there were no tools for this.  The first tools were as terrible as they were frustrating.  Just because we can write HTML script doesn't mean it's the fastest way to do it.  I'm building all my sites with Wordpress now.  I realize there's a lot more going on the forum but it seems like that copy could be formatted much more quickly with a different tool kit.

 

And thank you so much for all your hard work!!!  I'm happy to hear about the underpinnings of this site.  And if it's gone I will probably have to sell my truck, becuase without this forum, I'm going to be screwed.  I'm in LA and there's literally no one who will work on this without putting their kids through college on my dime.  Not having it!!

Edited by leety
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently found this website and it has much great content.  I have downloaded some factory service manuals and as I was looking to donate I stumbled upon this topic.  I currently am a freeloader (sorry), but I am about to become an annual platinum member.  $100/year seems very reasonable to me for the forum support and bulk of information available.  I hope all goes well with the server change and update. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

I've been side tracked with wrench jobs for the last few days. I'm still trying to work on a few found bugs and get things sorted out. Like I just found out a new setting was messing with people during login. With age verification. I need to find that setting and turn it back off. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

What? I'm gonna be carded when I log in? I hope I'm old enough. Lmao

 

No... There was new options in the software so when it setup I didn't actally read every option and just let it go with recommended settings. This is now turned off. 

I'm going to spur of a new thread...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a new member and already have found when I ask for information it's comes fast and saves me money and time . This is a great site , one of a kind. Mopar Man Thank you , I'm gonna be around as long as I've a Cummins , raise it to what you need to keep it going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Henrey said:

I am a new member and already have found when I ask for information it's comes fast and saves me money and time . This is a great site , one of a kind. Mopar Man Thank you , I'm gonna be around as long as I've a Cummins , raise it to what you need to keep it going.

 

Thank you! (Really does mean something to me!) Thank you!

 

Still I trying to wrap my brain around a away to provide a free part of the site but it just doesn't work out if I do. Basically if there is a open door where someone can post for free why would they pay in the first place? I'm trying to figure a angle even to provide something special beyond what a free member would. Haven't figure out a way yet. 

 

Donation system didn't work very well either. Only <1% was paying the bills of the site and the +99% ran through the site sucking up anything free. That was bad at one time where they were downloading as fast as they could and wiping out the bandwidth allowance. Hence why the service manuals were for subscribers or donors. That way people that chipped in had full access to the books, info, articles, etc. It was suppose to be the members posting up articles about there 3rd gen, 4th, gen and 5th gen trucks. Hmmm... Didn't happen too much did it? Nope.

 

I've got to Thank @Me78569for chasing all the 4th gen stuff for the site. Now I've got to code it all in the site. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the day has come for it to be a total pay website. I would like to think that it could survive but who knows. But l do know many folks want free answers period. I am guilty as charged on that. But what i have received and willingly share here is some of the best  info out there. Wish I had the answer to the problem.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, dripley said:

Maybe the day has come for it to be a total pay website. I would like to think that it could survive but who knows. But l do know many folks want free answers period. I am guilty as charged on that. But what i have received and willingly share here is some of the best  info out there. Wish I had the answer to the problem.

 

Thank you old friend even though I've never met you we've been talking for YEARS about our truck problems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

Thank you old friend even though I've never met you we've been talking for YEARS about our truck problems. 

My trip out your has been delayed time and again. It still is going to be made. The wife wants to come all I have to do is convince that the trip will be made in the Cummins and not the Equinox. Thats going to be alot a fun. But the trip will be made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would be ok with a total pay website. I was ok with the $100/year if that's what is needed. I have learned alot on this site and will continue to learn as long as the site is still around.

 By being a total pay site that would keep the riff raff out I suppose but would it cover the expenses?

  Mike, if I knew anything at all about what your doing with coding and the like I would gladly volunteer some time to help out. With my knowledge of that stuff I would basically be a concrete life preserver.......useless.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
On 9/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, leety said:

've been using this hosting company forever.  https://123ehost.com/business-hosting/ Solid place seems a bit less expensive than that one you are looking at. 

 

None of the plans are big enough. 

 

Minimum Required... (What I'm currently using)

  • 4 CPU cores of processors
  • 150 GB of hard drive SSD
  • 8 GB of Memory.

image.png

 

None of the plan come close. I'm on my way of being on a dedicated server soon (within like 4 years). I'm on the biggest VPS server now with iPage. When I switch to Liquid Web it will be nearly largest plan there too. Look at the morning status... I'm using nearly a single core now just with the quiet of the morning. I've only got 404 MB of RAM left. I've got 65 GB of hard drive left. By the busy part of the day I'm consuming closer to 3 cores. With server loads reaching 2.50 and 3.00.

 

9 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

 I would be ok with a total pay website. I was ok with the $100/year if that's what is needed. I have learned alot on this site and will continue to learn as long as the site is still around.

 By being a total pay site that would keep the riff raff out I suppose but would it cover the expenses?

  Mike, if I knew anything at all about what your doing with coding and the like I would gladly volunteer some time to help out. With my knowledge of that stuff I would basically be a concrete life preserver.......useless.

 

 

Just depends if the price hike turns everyone away and the traffic goes away, then it dead anyways. Like back with donations there was random few that made the donation for the information. But it was always less than <1% holding the bills. No fair for the 99% walk through. Went to subscriptions now we are only getting 1.5% paying (117 currently out of 7,569 total members) the bills while the other 98.5% walk through on limiting posting. This is why I can't find a another way but make it pay to post. I know there is over 2,000 people on per day. I've been studying the traffic... The long dip was the server errors I created with the software. 

 

Screenshot from 2020-10-02 05-29-12.png

 

Then when you look at it we are taking in at least 20 to 40 new members a week. 

image.png

 

But when you look at income...  Timbos apps is 170 dollars, high idle kit is 150 dollars, etc. I don't see any sales much few donations. That last tall peek is a Timbo's APPS that was sold.

image.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator

If you take a look at the 4th gen articles you can see them starting to gain steam, most of them in the error section are over 1000 views.

 

Screenshot 2020-10-02 071542.png

 

Now look at the 2nd gen stuff and the number of views really isn't that much more even though they have been active for ~4 years longer.

 

Screenshot 2020-10-02 071802.png

 

 

 

Here is the 4th gen headlight articles.  they are a little slower to gain, but we didn't push the 4th gen stuff as hard.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 071719.png

 

Vs 2nd gen created late 2015

Screenshot 2020-10-02 071943.png

 

 

So the newer stuff is still bringing traffic, but all of this takes time.  Time is something we are all short on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...