• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need truck to be running better, less smoke

With a proper tune on the quad a boost leak you will not see big issues since the quad is pulling fueling based on boost levels.    This is because the quadzilla is waiting for boost to add fuel.  each psi level is a  "step limit " on the amount of fuel.

However with an edge or a bad tune on the quad the tune is effectively trying to add fuel to get boost up, which is the opposite of what a proper quad tune is doing.    

OP might be seeing a big difference due to the boost leaks depending on how the tune is setup for his truck.  If it is a heavy fuel tune then I could see egt's and smoke as a result of a large number of boost leaks.

• Like 1

Well **** then I wonder if it's just the tuner that's giving me most of my issues. We sprayed soapy water down on all boots and what not and the only leaks we found were on the intake horn (custom, weld had 2 holes in it :duh:) and proper bolts weren't used to bolt it to the grid delete block. Then, there was another leak near cylinder 4 or 5 on the intake plate. I'm guessing the gasket may have blown or it's not torqued down. Maybe its warped or over-torqued. The guy with the 64mm turbo was building boost around 1700rpm and mine don't build til like 21-2200. He was also able to rev it and build some boost. I don't get anything. Should I try to tune the 4k down super low on fueling side and see if that makes me build boost earlier and help the engine not bog down in the lower rpm's? Also, I found out it's not a stock turbo so not an hx35. Previous owner I texted the other day and he told me the 2nd turbo is a 364.5/475. The other turbo is an s366. My apologies for not mentioning this new information earlier.

s364 s475 is a 64 75 twin setup.  Not sure where th s366 is coming from as you have now listed 3 turbos.  s364, s475, and s366/  

You need to figure out what you have before you do anything.    

the 4k is a race only box and shoul dnot be on a street driven truck.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Yeah when I texted the previous owner the other day that was the setup he told me. Not sure why in the ad it listed an s366 on there. Maybe that was a standalone turbo before he did the twins? I'll check to see if I can pull the S/N's off both turbos and find out what exactly they are because I need to get this truck sorted out asap..

you bought a truck geared towards high rpm fun rather than day to day duties.   

I would be selling the twin setup and replace it with a single turbo setup and some 7 x .010's rather than the 225's and ditching the 4k box.

I would do a 62 sxe or a 57 sxe depending on how much hp you want.  if you want 500 hp then a 62sx if you want 400 hp then 57sxe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

you bought a truck geared towards high rpm fun rather than day to day duties.   

I would be selling the twin setup and replace it with a single turbo setup and some 7 x .010's rather than the 225's and ditching the 4k box.

I would do a 62 sxe or a 57 sxe depending on how much hp you want.  if you want 500 hp then a 62sx if you want 400 hp then 57sxe

What about that 64mm I mentioned earlier that a guy where I'm located was down to trade setups for? I'd do the 7x0.10 injectors and a standard quad box

Yes but his is brand new. I'm not sure of the actual condition of my current turbos. Plus, I bought the truck with them so I'm not concerned about trying to get money out of it. I just want it running better tbh. He's also gonna be sending both of my turbos out to get rebuilt if we do make the trade.

• 3 weeks later...