• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How much should a unpaid member get for access?

• Owner
16 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

For unpaid or guests is it feasible and practical to only allow access to the forums but read only?

As for forum permission. Each forum has a permission mask of... (On / Off Switches)

• SEE FORUM
  •  READ TOPICS
  • REPLY TO TOPICS
  • DOWNLOAD ATTACHMENTS

So yes I can provide read only. Just completely remove the right to post. 

I'm not completely on board with the inability to post with an unpaid membership. I feel that it would discourage new members from ever joining to begin with. I think post limits may be a better option, like a limit per day or can't upload pictures/links. No access the articles. No PM's. Paywall to get the articles, I'm unsure on a fair price for electronic copies. (include them with paid membership or yearly plan or something) Maybe a cheap plan that allows less restricted posting but still have the articles behind a paywall.

I think more people are likely to become paying members in future if they can see the type of advice they receive and the benefits. This is a very niche forum and the majority of owners have 20 year old trucks, that crowd is only getting smaller. I think the 3rd and 4th gen crowd could use a bit of a member drive somehow. 

Just a quick glance at CF powertrain topics by gen:

1st.......142k.... 8%

12v......275k    16%

24v......477k     28%

3rd.......678k    40%

4th.......102k    6%

5th.......19k      1%

MM

1st     588      1%

12v     5700    5%

24v    92,500   87%

3rd    6500      6%

4th     1200     1%

5th      11         0%

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

• Owner

Yeah I know the 4th and 5th gen info needs to grow but I'm only one man doing all the code work now. It takes roughly 45 mins to an hour to get all the HTML coding per page done. Then going back through the older pages and refreshing those too. I'm finding that older articles are dropping back and loosing score because lacking in a fresher dates. This is why I allow member create there own articles but as you can see no new 3rd gen, no new 4th gen, and no new 5th gen articles. Maybe a few Nick done. 

I've got pages and pages of code work to do. 

Then the truth be known that after talking to vendors most people are not upgrading 4th or 5th gens at all being the cost of the truck and the cost of the parts. Vendors like DAP don't sell a lot of tuners or injectors like 2nd gens and 3rd gens. Most buy the newer trucks and just drive them. 

I'm starting to just have my doubts and willing to just give in and quit. When you see the massive amount of work I've got to do it just overwhelming. Server move, server software updates, configuration, etc. Then consider all the hours of work to never really be paid. Not fun to know I can put in 40 hours and not see a dime... Yup all goes to bills. Then work my other job too turning wrenches. Which like my last check I put $100 in of my own money to keep the account growing. Might of been a mistake.  

Yeah I know there is all this free solutions out there CF, DB, TDR, etc. I could easily close the doors and shut off the server and be done. I know I'll never make it... Most of the staff is already gone. There is nothing for me but constant work load. I just open the doors to allow every free and let it die when the funds run out. I've only got about 3 more month and the server will die anyways.

I guess I'let it go till it runs out of money or when the server quits and let it die. Once it does I'll simply close the doors and shut it down. Quietly.

Many asked if I would sell. Answer is firmly "No!". When the doors close then I'll take all the info with me.  

• Staff

I will hate to see the site go away. It's been a very good, informative and friendly site to visit. Some of the best members on here always respectable and respected by others. Makes a great atmosphere.

I do understand your position to Mike. I never knew how much work goes into all this on your end until you began to share with us recently. It does take up alot of your time with no compensation. I will appreciate the time I had here and the knowledge I've gained. I will also miss it when it's gone if that's what you do.

Thanks you again for all your efforts and time spent with us.

I think this was mentioned before but what about running ads on the site?  I know not having them keeps the forum much cleaner looking but it might be enough to help pay for the server...

I started out over on CF and that was a good forum for the most part, but there were some a$$hats over there and don't even get me started about the Facebook groups :lmao: Its all about rolling coal and lift kits and when someone asks a question all they get are a bunch of smarta$$ answers and belittled.

I have to agree with double, this is the best place to be to talk trucks and other things.  I enjoy hanging out here and the amount of knowledge that I got from all of you is great.

Mike, if there is anything I can do to help out and keep this site alive let me know.

• Owner

Like my end like today I had to run to town to get a new pull rope for the wood splitter. There isn't aplace anywhere in town with just a standard hamburger for less than $10. Now I've seen it all the last restaurant I went in they now charge 50 cents for take out box. 

That's what I'm getting at everything around me is going up in price. Phone, internet, server price, everything. But when you realize that the income isn't enough to cover the bills. I do want to fight for the site... I'm getting tired of the solo battle. People say oh yeah I wanna help. It last for about a week to a couple of months. Back on me... There is a few left that try to help. 

Highly frustrated... I know what is up in my head everyone wants, but I can't keep giving it away for free. Heck, I just took on Alternator job on a CAT dozer, and then a alternator on a forklift. Then a engine swap in a Ford Gasser truck. This what I've been doing and then come back to the website. Every one wants free everything. I can't compete with all the corporate owned sites like CF or DB etc.  I don't have a team of tech behind me helping out with server maintenance. That cost extra. 

Then I thought about opening the store more but then was met with the info provided by other vendors and found out it will get worse for me. More people upset there new injectors didn't work. Or ordered the wrong turbo. Etc. With all that I'll never get a break from this and the phone.

No one is giving me a good way to fix this... Yeah I know I got more coding I can do all winter building articles for 4th gen trucks. Just so the ranking with google are good and bring in more.

I'll be honest the only thing site wise used for my personal is the Adsense that continues to pay off my $13,900 worth of cancer treatment which I did back in 2019. I require $400 a month just for that bill. Adsense this month will barely pay that one bill. Beyond that the site has to cover phones, internet, server, email server, software, software from 3rd parties, etc. Being dead honest that is the only personal bill I'm still struggling with. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I didn't mean to come off like an attack, if that's what it sounded like.

All of us chatting here would certainly throw some more money in the hat if it means keeping the doors open. Unfortunately, my html experience stopped at one semester in highschool, and that was a waste of time class.

• Owner

None taken. 

I just know that anyone comparing to like CF you can't that is apple and oranges. I'm one of the last private owned forums yet. CF is corporate owned. Just like a host of other forums out there. Take a look at Internet Brands and see how many they have for forums. This is one reason I'll never sell as soon as that happens M73M now will no longer exist. They will pump it up with ads and walk away and the the members tear it apart. I watch Chad's site (Diesel Bombers) go this way after he sold to internet brands. So there is no way to fairly compare M73M to any other site unless it is a privately owned site which about 90% are now corporate owned forum sites. Cummins Forum is owned by VericalScope out of Canada. These corporations have plenty of money to toss around for code monkeys or anything. Hence why they can keep open for free. Being they own lots of sites no problem the ad revenue holds them up and then bills paid no problem when you own HUNDREDS of website easy to make things happen...

I'm just a single man, with a single web site. No corporation backing me. No huge bank account. Just Me out in the middle of Idaho... The only thing that keeps M73M going is 1.5% of the membership pool right now. that's roughly 70 to 100 people that kicked in this year. Out of 7,5xx members. Again no big corporation backing M73M just the membership that does kick in. 

Hard to compare now isn't it. 

Cummins Forum Corporation holdings...

https://www.verticalscope.com/our-verticals/automotive/

Now when you look at it that way that means either I've got to get equally by all in other words close off the free access and keep prices low and hope that member will still kick in for access to interact. Most of your have mention how good the information is here. Sad part is no one will ever leave reviews on products, the website. Seriously I've had my Google Business listing for over 5 YEARS. The first review was my girlfriend. REALLY? 

Screenshot from 2020-10-04 06-23-16.png

Just wonder through the site and look around at how little things are commented on or any reviews listed. Wonder why I struggle to keep it going... There is nothing from the membership say this site rocks, people are friendly, nothing. Any time you search for M73M this business listing should be available for anyone. Has direction to my place, web links, business open times etc. Did you know if you rate any content on the site it will impact the ranking on Google? Yup that is very true! Again when no one reviews or comments on articles or forums then it is given it rating of zero then pushes me down the ranking again. I've owned the current software since 2015. In 5 years time only a tidbit of reviews this is a shame...

screencapture-google-search-2020-10-04-06_27_23.png

Here just randomly grabbed the fuel section of the article database 24V stuff... So few articles have even been rated, even less have any comments. Again reviews and rating impact search results and were we place against the the other sites. Even products review impact where like the high idle kits and stuff land in a search. More high ratings and comments the better the ranking. 

Screenshot from 2020-10-04 06-35-37.png

Now if everyone was writing reviews and rating content then authors of articles can read the reviews and try to improve the article. Again this where the members help out. If an article get review needing help then the author can go back and improve their article and member would rate it better. Hence like W-T ground wire mod. Several mention directly to me since @W-T no longer visits the site. So using what I had and created a simple version which people liked. Most people like lots of photos but also got to have a good amount of textual explanation of what you have to do for said article.

Again... Here is directly from Google. Explaining that if your rating is good they boost your search.

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/review-snippet

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

At the risk of sounding stupid, I didn't know you could rate articles. I understand the reviewing of purchased products but was unaware one could rate an article. 

Also, where would we go to rate the site? I was also ignorant to this as well. :duh:

Ok, after posting the first part of this comment I went back to look for this rating for the hvac case removal article. I found it at the bottom. Guess I never scrolled past the text to see it. My fault. I did write a review. Hope it not to little to late but I did it anyway. 

Now that I'm aware of this I will certainly continue to do so. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, I didn't know you could rate articles.

Everything can be rated here. Top of this page and ever forum thread...

image.png

Articles...

image.png

Store...

image.png

Google... Just do a search for "mopar1973man" on the right there should be a review. 

image.png

I've sold over 30 Timbo's APPS and not one review of the product. Not even a rating to the product. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Here to make it easier...

https://g.page/Mopar1973Man/review?rc

Now realize that now your 1 out of 7,5xx members that knows this. How many more will stop here and read this and figure out they should do it too? Did you know there is even rating and review for private support too? Everything can be rated and reviewed. 

Seriously there is every little actions without a rating or review system. As I just did a test support ticket and reply and on the return of it I can rate the reply... Then the staff knows if they did a good job.

Screenshot from 2020-10-04 08-05-08.png

• Like 1

• Staff

I was not aware of that either. Like I said before, I had no idea what all went into this on your end, even that rating of things. Now that I know this I will be rating things as I use the articles and read the different threads. Anything to get the Google ranking up and possibly save our site. I know that alone isn't enough but I do want to do my part.

Possibly with a higher google ranking we could generate more paid memberships once others see how highly we speak of the site and get a feel for the knowledge and camaraderie on here. 

Can we do a save this sight kickstarter campaign to try and get funds to support the necessary conversion/upgrade?

It sounds like if we could raise some hard cold cash it would make sense to do the work needed to be done.

I would try a read only free membership with a pay per post model $2/ post, if that’s possible for free members or join for $100/year.  And unbury that tip jar and explain to people how they can support the site.  As you just have.

I’m willing to help in any way I can.  I may have the necessary skills to help you with some of the page formatting work.  If so I’ll help you out with it.

I was completely unaware that Google listed websites as businesses as well. I think I'll make my way over there.

When I compared MM to CF, I was just trying to do it from a perspective of what the entire Cummins Diesel community looks like. As a snapshot. As you say, there is no direct comparison between the two.

• Like 1