• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to me 2005 3500 2WD dually rear axle

Purestock

This truck vin breakdown shows 4.10 and limited slip. It is not a limited slip unless something is wrong internally. There is a paper tag on the back of the passenger axle tube.

Info on the tag is 2 bar codes and the following. Is this the original axle assm is what I want to know

(T) X2DH219421277 the T could be an I there is damage to the label right there

52481I

(P) 52104

I know that it is a 11.5 AAM 

I have had no luck on the interweb any help would be appreciated

Thanks

3D7MR48C95G710309

Could not find those numbers either. 

But did find the info between the Open Diff and Limited Slip.

Guess since it's new to you, would change the fluid and might be easier to figure it out. Plus who knows what's in there to start with. 

From most of the AAM documents the part number listed for an open Diff is:

449519896_Screenshot_20201003-185453_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.ff76143d60cc51e731c0f1018d6456e2.jpg

1081460015_Screenshot_20201003-185409_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.73030ad2fb113d5984e35529706a56d8.jpg

That open Diff part number was superceded in 2017.

11.5 " Rear Axle Open Differential Case with Internal Gears

• Effective immediately, the part number for the open differential case with internal gears for the 11.5" AAM rear axle will be superseded from 40101020 to 40146894.
  • The change in the part number reflects a change to a set screw for holding the cross pin versus using a snap ring. The external case has all the same dimensions and internal components as the 40101020.

http://www.demandaam.com/pressrelease/aam-announces-two-product-supersessions?page=1

Pic of that new part number for the open Diff.

Screenshot_20201003-185129_Chrome.jpg.dc5c2b5f80c55be8188a0c031e375677.jpg

Pic of the Limited Slip

Screenshot_20201003-190020_Google.jpg.78d223e9980bb60422ba48bb3cbd54ff.jpg

Some good info here as well.

http://www.demandaam.com/technical-support/product-catalogs-1

Good luck with your project. 

That's great info, thanks.

What prompted the investigation was just curiosity. This is my third Cummins, 98.5 24V and then a different 05 2500. I sold the 2500 to buy this 3500 because a newer 5th wheel had a huge pin weight and the 2500 was over in 3 specs as a result.

I like to know what's what so I chocked the front tires and jacked it up by the pumpkin. Oddly when spinning the left rear tire counter clockwise the right tire didn't move. Spinning the left tire clockwise caused the right tire to spin the opposite direction like an open rear would.

I did the finger test on the diff level and it was clear as in brand new clear. I also found out that the block heater cord wasn't ordered when new and that the spare tire hoist worked but the tire was the original. Oh boy another $150.

The truck was a one owner trade in at an honest dealer chain near me so they probably did the diff fluid change as they also changed the oil and replaced the air cleaner element among other things. Trans fluid is very clean as well.

Maybe the dealer will give up the original owners name and I can find out if the diff was ever replaced. I'll pull the cover anyway in the meantime.

Thanks a lot for your time, appreciate you.

You might be good to go then, these are a little different then like a conventional limited slip rear.

Here is some info on these.

http://www.demandaam.com/technical-support/aam-diferrentials/tracrite-gt-helical-gear-limited-slip-differential

Also found a few videos, the one is a little scary dont think I'm throwing mine on a jack but worked out just fine for them. 

Maybe hold off on opening the cover if you think it was just done.

Kinda same principal I think.

Second video linked to this one....

You are the man. That dude is lucky he didn't catch the wrath of sweet thing when that truck went thru the back of the garage.

I have some gravel next to my driveway wide enough for both tires. I'll goose it and see what happens.

I have an email into AAM about the label thing. If they respond I'll post it.

http://www.thehamtramckreview.com/american-axle-says-it-will-close-down-last-remaining-plant/#:~:text=Last week%2C American Axle officials,reason work is stopping here.

Thanks again

• Like 1