• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New cam for 500 hp rebuild

It's getting time for a rebuild, previous owner was a kid who didn't know how to take care of things lol. I'm planning on 7x12 sticks for my s363 turbo. But I'm not sure which cam I need. The truck is going to be my daily driver so I need something pretty streetable, if anybody can point me in the right direction or give me some input on the cams that you have tried I would greatly appreciate it??????

8 hours ago, BrokeAssPainter said:

Ok good stuff, thank yall! How about valve springs?

I got conicals (not beehive ) from Manton pushrods and some 1/2"  pushrods :wow: and new toolsteel  trunnions. I got a good deal on it as he was just starting to experiment with it on our trucks, they were used in race world for a long time. Kinda a guinea pig, gave him some feed back on how it all went. I had minor issue with 1/2" pushrods, at certain angle they were hitting rokerarm, I had to shave a little off so nothing binded. I also got longer arp bolts to hold rokers, factory ones are kind of short and with more pressure from heavier spring didn't want a chance to yank them out. 

• Like 1

• Staff

Springs and pushrods will be fine stock, but at the upper edge. If you plan in additional rpms then get springs and pushrods. 

I used Hamilton 103# Springs and their mid level pushrods. 

I also used their 178/208 cam. It was a major improvement over stock, but the 3rd gen cam isn’t the same as a 2nd gen. Then again it was a noticeable improvement over a colt cams stage 1, which is a better cam than a stock 2nd gen. 

So it comes down to the money you want to spend. You won’t be disappointed if you get a mild cam. Don’t go too big for a DD thou. 

If you do a cam also do springs and pushrods, IMO