• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Auto Upgrade Plans - Turbo, Injectors, Quadzilla, Gauges

I've got some questions about the upgrade path for my truck. Intro thread here with some more info and background.

Truck Info:

2001 Quad Cab

Automatic/HY35

~260K Miles

4.10s

285/75R16 - 33's

BHAF, 4" Turboback, Billet Singe Torque Converter, Shift Kit, Fass

Random small things like greaseable ball joints, etc

I'm happy with the truck when just driving around, but I feel like it could use some more power when towing my fifth wheel up some of the passes in WA/ID/OR/MT. It'll definitely do it, but i've had some steeper grades where keeps 40/45 is difficult and I'd like to make that easy while keeping my EGTs in check. The first thing I will be doing is a 3 gauge pod with a pyrometer, fuel pressure, and boost gauge. Plan for now is IssPro EV2s. One thing I have seen is fuel pressure gauges seem to bounce around a lot. If I already have a low pressure warning light and a quadzilla on the way, would it make more sense to have a trans temp gauge?

After reading many threads, it seems like the HY35 is a bottle neck in the system if you do more than very minor upgrades. I've seen Mopar's HX35 build and Me78569's HE351CW install guide. In similar threads it sounds like the HX35 is better for mileage, top end power, and EGTs when compared to my HY35. The HE351CW sounds like a step up from the HY35, making more power, slightly lower EGTs, and maintaining fast spooling. I'm not really concerned about mileage since I don't drive the truck that much and I'd much rather have a better experience when towing my fifth wheel or my dad's trailers.

Along with one of these turbos I plan to do injectors. Most likely something like 7x0.010s which seem to be recommended here often. They sound like they fit the bill for both of these turbos and some room for changes in the future. To control them I plan to add a quadzilla and tune it accordingly. I spent a couple years helping out with my school's FSAE hybrid car and got a little bit into the Motec tuning. That plus an IC engines class and I feel confident on the adjustments that quadzilla gives.

Mainly just looking for general insight into these plans or suggestions for better alternatives. I'd like to think I read enough to not miss something major, but it's definitely possible.

Edited by CatalystGilles
Adding info
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

While I’m not an expert, my advice would be, before adding power make sure your transmission is up to handling that power. If it was me and I was swapping turbos, I would likely use a hybrid like @Mopar1973Manor @Dieselfuture.

For me, a fuel pressure gauge just gives an added sense of security. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank Squire. From reading it sounded like a torque converter and shift kit would be good for a jump in power of it wasn't extreme. (75-100hp) After that it seems like you want a new input shaft and a valve boby upgrade. 

The HX35/40 could be another good option. I will do a bit more reading into them. 

Edited by CatalystGilles
  • Like 1

I'd recommend talking to @Dynamic about tranny upgrades. As for turbo you can get hx35 for a good price and maybe do a reseal kit for $50 just make sure it's genuine holset. It would work good with quadzilla v2 tuning and with 7x10 vco (I'd recommend setting pop pressure at 320 bar) all you'll need should be level 3, canbus only, shouldn't need wire tap. I hardly ever use wire tap unless I'm playing around. You can get a hybrid built yourself if you get some random parts, I just had one built by these guys

http://www.northamericanturbo.com/

S362 would be a good one too with 7x10 and quad. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CatalystGilles said:

Thank Squire. From reading it sounded like a torque converter and shift kit would be good for a jump in power of it wasn't extreme. (75-100hp) After that it seems like you want a new input shaft and a valve boby upgrade. 

Welcome, and it really sounds like you have done your homework and are of to a good start on your truck, As my experience with the 47re, a single disk billit TQ at minimum for the Hp increase your after and towing at the same time, but anything more I would suggest just going with a triple disk if getting into heavy duty towing and leave room for more power in the future, Im not to Keen on shift kits but a well built valve body with the ability to lock up 2nd is vital when towing along with a good trans cooler system.  Like said above @Dynamic would be a good resource and it looks like he is in your neck of the woods  

Im on my 3rd 47re in the last 18 years, should have just built it right the first time, and it still ain’t  :( 

• Like 2

Depending on your desired path I would go 1 of two ways

1. new turbo path,

7 x .010's s300 57/65/12 from dap trans upgrades.  This would be a killer vp setup for a happy 400 hp.

2. used turbo path.

7 x .010's he351cw trans upgrades.  This would be a nother great 400 hp setup, but it isn't as plug and play.  

a hx35 is fine turbo but they are old and the performance isn't a huge jump from a hy35.   If money was very tight then sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

I'm Close to @Me78569 specs above...

• Quadzilla Adrenaline (Mopar1973Man Towing Tune)
  • DAP 150 HP injectors ( 7 x 0.010 @ 320 bar)
  • HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12) the HE351 above is a (60/60/9)
  • 4 Inch Exhaust unmuffled
  • BHAF
  • AirDog 150 (w/ AirDog 165 4G pump)
  • 245/75 R16 tires (final ratio to the ground 3.69:1)

Ran all the way to Arizona this summer with the RV weighed out at 17,300 pounds GCW. Made 14.7 MPG even with a climb to 7,000 feet in Nevada. Never had any EGT's issues at all hovered at 1,1000 to 1,200*F and coolant stayed in check. The only difference is I'm more closer to 500 HP. Last summer I had enough power to blew the teeth off 5th gear in a NV4500. Never mind the 5th gear nut problem I just take the teeth off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the good insight everybody. It will probably come down to what is available when the time comes. I have seen used turbos come up locally, but they either are a good price and go fast or they sit forever.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Depending on your desired path I would go 1 of two ways

1. new turbo path,

7 x .010's s300 57/65/12 from dap trans upgrades.  This would be a killer vp setup for a happy 400 hp.

2. used turbo path.

7 x .010's he351cw trans upgrades.  This would be a nother great 400 hp setup, but it isn't as plug and play.  

a hx35 is fine turbo but they are old and the performance isn't a huge jump from a hy35.   If money was very tight then sure.

When you say trans upgrades, what do you think would be required beyond the single disc torque converter and shift kit?

• Owner

Absolutely... 

As for what @Dynamic did for my lil' 1996 Dodge 1500. He upgraded it to a 47RE. Basically single disc torque converter. Then shaved a 0.1 of inch off the clutch baskets and added an extra disc to both direct and overdrive clutches. Then upgraded governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Custom shift kit where he modified my valve body by drilling out certain holes to different sizes. Then added two holes in the body of the transmission inside on the return line and spraying cooled oil on both clutches so they stay cool. These are mods you never find in a kit but @Dynamicproves this service. 

As for gauges I would recommend the ISSPro EV2 electric sender gauges. They are USB programmable and you can adjust the warning light on setting, you can program a relay to turn on or off different things devices if wanted (Trans temp turn on a aux fan). Very solid design of gauge and matches the Dodge 2nd gen cluster. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Easy enough to do...

Fuel pressure

https://www.dieselautopower.com/ev-fuel-pressure-0-30-r17033

Pyrometer

https://www.dieselautopower.com/pyro-2-w-color-band-0-1600

Boost

https://www.dieselautopower.com/ev-electronic-turbo-boost-0-40-r17333

Boost I was looking for a 0 to 60 PSI which I didn't find right now...

I ended up ordering them the XDP. They had all the right faces and the gauge pod I wanted. I did end up going with a transmission temperature gauge over the fuel pressure for now. I have a 5 psi warning light right now and plan to add a fuel pressure sensor to the quadzilla when the time comes.

There is also the HE351W with a 12cm housing. I believe this is the one that @Blueox01 installed this spring, and IIRC in that thread it was given a thumbs up by DAP and @Me78569 for value. I don't remember horsepower goals for that build, but was compatible with exhaust brake.

Just food for thought!

https://www.benzforce.com/collections/holset-hx35-he351-accessories/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

• Like 1