• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Auto Upgrade Plans - Turbo, Injectors, Quadzilla, Gauges

2 hours ago, CatalystGilles said:

I'm mainly curious what changes to the 47RE you think are necessary for 300hp ,350hp, and 400hp? I'm guessing there are a more than a few people that would be interested to hear.

Assuming the rest of the transmission is in good shape (which is anyone's guess, honestly), a valve body, torque converter and deep aluminum pan are great upgrades (along with supporting items such as: billet accumulator piston, billet intermediate servo cover, reinforced band strut, etc.).

The million dollar question is what is the condition of the rest of the transmission? I had a 48RE across my bench just the other day that was just here for a valve body, servo cover and accumulator piston. He had the transmission out of the truck for some engine work and just dropped the whole thing off for me to do the work. It had been fairly recently "rebuilt" by some other shop, but after pulling the valve body, I noticed the junk band that they had used, as well as some weird stuff that they had tried to do with the valve body. So I got curious for my customer's sake. I pulled the pump and input assembly out to look at the clutches. The direct clutch was absolutely hammered. I still worked, but wouldn't have for long. I literally just finished buttoning up the complete build on that transmission. I ended up finding a bunch of other stuff that was wrong with it once I got it all torn down. The moral of the story is that you literally don't know the condition of the internals of the transmission without looking at it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoColt said:

Did you already buy your quadzilla? I just bought a 2006 yesterday and I’m giving my 01 to my gf. Taking the quad off though before hand. So I’ll be posting it up for sale if you’re interested in a used one.  

Colt, I haven't yet and I'm definitely interested.

Dynamic, thanks for the insight. Sounds like what the others have said with regards to parts. I will likely be giving you a call later this year or early next to setup something. I've already got the pan on the way so it's easier to drain and I have a place to put the temperature probe.

With regards to previous work, I have had good experiences with the shop that rebuilt it previously. My dad, brothers, and I have all had vehicles in there for work ranging from basic servicing to full blown rebuilds.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been made. Got the boost and pyrometer gauges setup before my Halloween camping trip. Towed the fifth wheel out to the coast and the truck did great as usual. Boost seems to max out at about 19psi which matches with the stock setup. The pyrometer maxed out at 1250* on a sustained pull and just wouldn't go over that.

On the weekend I was able to get my transmission flushed and put my Goerend pan on. It was pretty easy and the only thing that I had to run to the store to grab was a 5/16-18 tap clean out the thread for the longer fasteners that come with the pan. I did find that I had a reusable pan gasket on there that I will clean up and save for the next time. Now I've just got to get the trans temp gauge wires ran and it will be all good to go.

I did find a set of RV275s for $200 that I couldn't pass up, so now I'm on the lookout for an HX35 that doesn't look like it's been sitting on the beach since 2002. That should be a good combination for now and if I really need more after that I will look into bigger injectors and a different turbo + a valve body from Dynamic.

• Like 3

This thing popped up locally to me. Said they bought it for a project car, but they ended up going for a big block and don't need a turbo anymore. Do these HX35W with the wastegate bracket built into the compressor work in the 24 valves without issue? I've been trying to search for answer on it, but I haven't been able to find anything?

123648708_100198391909189_8619509095551639732_o.jpg

Thats what came on my 02 manual. It was stock equipment on the 01 and 02 manual, the autos of those years had the HY but the HX will work on the autos. If you have plans for alot more HP something else would be better. How much do they want for it?

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

I could probably get it for $300. It's the only one I've seen that wouldn't need surgery to make functional. Plus those are all priced about the same.

Right now I'm thinking the RV275s and an HX35 will be fine for a while. The fact that it just drops in and doesn't require a new down pipe is nice. The other option is wait a little longer and get that HE351CW that BlueOx got. It will require rotating it, building a wastegate bracket, and a new DP but would be more long term solution.

• Like 2

BlueOx got back to me in a private message about his HE351CW.

"Works great, I had to clock the compressor housing to match the HX35 and modify the waste gate actuator bracket a bit."

As for the HX35, it does look to be brand new. I will likely cave and buy it. Even if I end up wanting more in 6 months to a year I could probably sell it for as much as I get it for.