• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timken Hub Assembly torque specs

Just bought a set of Timken front bearing assembly for a 2002 Ram (2WD). It's looking like 280 ft lbs of torque for the axle nut but I'm reading other specs anywhere from 180 lbs to over 300. Even the Timken web page says 280 but always to use the manufacture's specs (whatever that is?). 

So what the hell is it? I know they're damn tight but does anyone know the actual spec. Also, I take it with this type of sealed unit the torque is set and no backing off a quarter turn or something? Again this is a 2WD not 4WD

Edited by MikeH

• Staff

280 ft-lb is the spec,  I replaced the right one when I was at @Mopar1973Man place this spring.  My torque wrench only goes to 150 ft-lb so after 150 I used my 2' breaker bar and tightened it about another 20°, peened the nut at 12 o'clock with a punch and marked it with a dab of paint.  So far after over 3,000 mi of towing the nut is still in place and no problems with the hub or bearings.

Timken hub assemblies are pretorqued at the factory, it's one of their selling points. Some of the Chinese hubs you have to get the torque dead on. As stated before, torque to 180 and let her buck Sorry just read it's a 2wd torque is 280 according to the federal mogul tech page

Mark

Edited by Scarecrow