• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

W-T ground mod/150amp breaker question

• Staff

I kind of touched on this in another thread but can't remember which one or find it so here we go. Sorry for rehashing this.

I did the basic W-T ground mod and installed a 150amp breaker between the alt. and passenger side battery. The breaker seemed to trip early (it was a cheapo from Amazon $12 made in china) but prior to the mod not once did it ever fry the 140amp OEM fuse which leads me to believe that the breaker is sub-par.

So my question is:

Which 150amp breakers are you all using with no problems? I have no tuner or major mods for that matter, basically stock truck, original alternator with about 148k on it.

Need to get this done since it is getting chilly and I'll need the grids before long and the extra draw there will surely trip that cheap breaker. I've had them disconnected over the summer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner
On 10/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, Doubletrouble said:

Which 150amp breakers are you all using with no problems?

I'm using the cheap China/Amazon breaker. No issues to report. 

I've done another ground wire mod and even let him use my breaker on the customers truck and would pop the breaker all the time. We swapped to an actual 150 Amp fuse on his truck and the problem left. There is something about system loads or other accessories that keep the alternator constantly charging or weak batteries with internal shorted cells. The break is held to the high charge rate too long and the bi-metal strip heats and pops.

My truck I've updated most all the lighting to LED's and HID headlights so my electrical load is very low on the alternator. 

• Staff

When I first start the truck I tend to wait until the batteries recover (looking at the volt meter) before I turn on any extra electrical load.

I hoping maybe the breaker I had was faulty to a point. I'll see if this new one is up to the task. It's 49° here now and a low of 33° tonight so the grids will come on and I'll monitor it closely.

Prior to the ground mod I never had the oem 140 breaker blow at all. 

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

Prior to the ground mod I never had the oem 140 breaker blow at all. 

OEM is a very thin 140 AMP fuse. Same here never popped the factory fuse either. 

3 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

I hoping maybe the breaker I had was faulty to a point. I'll see if this new one is up to the task. It's 49° here now and a low of 33° tonight so the grids will come on and I'll monitor it closely.

It might be... I'm saying its not possible but at the same time I'm still using a 140 Amp breaker with no problem. Mine is tucked on the BHAF side near the fender and guarded by the heat shield too. If its too close to hot surfaces it could trip early for no good reason. 

• Owner

Yeah when I burned up the PCM and I stuck the new alternator in of course it wouldn't charge without the +12V to the field. So I drove from Ontario OR to Parma ID to get to friends place for help. About half way there the volt gauge fell to 8 Volts and chime went off and I looked down at the Digital display on my USB charge port and it just fell from 12.00 to 11.99 volts. It will not come back up till the voltage is back above 12.00 again.

It a dead clue something is wrong with that fuse/breaker if the CHECK GAGE light comes on and volt gauge is sitting on 8.