• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

At idle is the ECM is in full control. Have you messed with apps, make sure it's not sending signal at idle. Go through wiring, check connections. How old are the injectors, what is the engine load at idle, could be that injectors are pissing and ECM is trying to compensate.

I have not messed with apps since I replaced it with timbo. Injectors are stock. Ordered a set awhile back but never got to installing them. Idle load % is 0-1...I’ll put the injectors in tomorrow and see if that fixes it. One thing I forgot to add is it seems like in the morning When I let the truck warm up, the first 15 min while it’s cold, it does not idle rough.

1 hour ago, ColoradoColt said:

One thing I forgot to add is it seems like in the morning When I let the truck warm up, the first 15 min while it’s cold, it does not idle rough

Requires more fuel in the morning to warm up so... I'd say change injectors and see what happens. Then next step

• Like 1

• Owner
14 hours ago, ColoradoColt said:

Injectors are stock. Ordered a set awhile back but never got to installing them. Idle load % is 0-1...I’ll put the injectors in tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Injectors are wiped out and no longer usable. Stock Injectors or Bosch injectors only have about 75k to 100k life span. Beyond that you on borrowed time. Like myself this is why when I had my new +150HP DAP injectors (7 x 0.010) built I opted to have them popped at 320 bar to add longevity and better fine mist that ignites easier.  

When your injectors pass about 100k miles the pop pressure is nearing about 260 or 280 bar. The bottom limit is 293 bar according to the Dodge FSM.

When I did mine, I did the key bump a few times till I heard the tone of the motor in the FASS change (this indicates that the filters and lines now have fuel) then I cracked injector 1,2,4 and cranked the engine till my son saw fuel spraying out then I tightened the lines all up and cranked the engine some more till it caught.  FYI, it will sound horrible when it first starts till all the air is out of the lines, so just let it run. 

If you don't prime it with the key bump, I don't know if it will ever start because the VP44 wont be able to pull the fuel by its self.

Yes I had already primed it and it really pours fuel from the injection pump.( I did notice my airdog motor tone change)  I tightened that And crackEd the 1,2, and 4 and not even a little comes out. I had this problem once when I went too low on fuel, gauge said 1/4 tank and I guess it was empty.
Could never get fuel to injectors but once I sprayed a little starting fluid in it, it started up and ran good after a couple minutes.

I’m not sure what this means, but before I put the injectors in, and it was idling rough, if I turned off the A/C, it would idle much worse. Does this also confirm injectors? Since the A/C put a slight load on the engine? 

Edited by ColoradoColt

6 minutes ago, ColoradoColt said:

So I got it started. Hasn’t idled rough yet. But it is blowing a good amount of grey smoke if I stomp on it. On a low level on the quad it doesn’t smoke at all, but 7+ tons of grey smoke. Half the time it’s black it seems like.

:think: What injectors did you install?  What tune on the Quad are you running?

• Owner
12 minutes ago, ColoradoColt said:

So I got it started. Hasn’t idled rough yet. But it is blowing a good amount of grey smoke if I stomp on it. On a low level on the quad it doesn’t smoke at all, but 7+ tons of grey smoke. Half the time it’s black it seems like.

Gotta ask if you tighten the injector hold down cap first or the cross over tube? Correct answer is crossover tube first then the injector hold down. This is so you can get the injector to center up with the crossover tube first BEFORE you lock it into place with the hold down cap. 

I think its the tune.  You are running a tune for OEM injectors so its going to be fueling more than you will need since you have the 7x10s.  That's why you aren't seeing smoke in the low settings.  I would download one of the mid injectors tunes from here and use that.  You still may need a little tweaking but it will be a good starting point. :thumbup2:

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure on that. I did just send them out to get pressure tested. Wish I wouldn’t have because i hooked up my scanner again and this is what showed up while in park. Btw it was 58° out. 

https://youtu.be/3ax1iX9tfpU

Sorry not sure why it’s not letting you click on the link

https://youtu.be/3ax1iX9tfpU

• Owner

So should I try an APPS reset?

Might consider getting it replaced. But yes you can try a reset... Most likely do nothing being the APPS reset only reset the min and max values of throttling but does nothing to set the IVS for idle.. It has ZERO to do with the IVS (Idle Validation Switches) inside the unit. Now the IVS is controlled by voltage in a stock APPS where a Timbo's APPS is based on position of the sensor. 

New APPS, reset now P0222 error? - 2nd Generation Dodge 24 Valve Powertrain  - Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Forum

APPS reset will not change that fact. 

Does that means it’s APPS causing it not the ECM?

Most likely...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Okay I do have both a new ecm and timbo apps. Does that mean maybe it’s positioned wrong?

I also noticed when I let off the throttle in any gear, the rpm hangs at about 1100-1200, before dropping down to where it normally does(around 800 I think)... I thought maybe that had something to do with APPS as well but it shows 0% throttle when it’s holding at 1200rpm