• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grid heater bypass question.

@IBMobilethis question is for you. The solenoid you recommended (ss598) is a different style than the one you used. Does this matter? Seemed to work fine when I first installed then me wife took truck out of town and commented on how hard it was to start. Solenoid doesn’t work now. Any ideas? Did I just get the wrong part or...??

• Staff
4 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

@IBMobilethis question is for you. The solenoid you recommended (ss598) is a different style than the one you used. Does this matter? Seemed to work fine when I first installed then me wife took truck out of town and commented on how hard it was to start. Solenoid doesn’t work now. Any ideas? Did I just get the wrong part or...??

Both relays are rated for 300 amps.  The difference beside how they look is the SS-598 is used in newer Fords and has the protective diode in it.  I used the SS-581 relay in JAG1's truck in May of 2019 with no problems.

When the switch is turned on is there 12+ volts to the "S" terminal of the solenoid? 

If no, then check for power from the fuse to switch and from switch to solenoid; repair as needed.   

If yes, then is there battery voltage to both large terminals of the solenoid? 

If yes, then solenoid is functioning correctly and the grid heater relays may need to be tested. 

If no, then check ground wire from solenoid body to grounding point; this can be done with an ohm meter. 

If open circuit, then repair ground. 

If ground circuit tests good, then replace solenoid.   

• Like 1

• Owner

Just a to point out something that happened to me... 

I've got a permanent magnet train generator on my pelton wheel generator. Now I using a full wave rectifier on both outputs. I've got just mere 15 Amp fuse in the line. Now I wanted to control the generator with my house inverter has got a tiny little 5A relay. Using the 12V battery system and Ford Starter Solenoid. Now the little inverter relay controlled the Ford Solenoid (constant duty). This was just fine. First operation of it it clapped closed and the voltage started to rise like it should hit it charged state. Inverter dropped the relay and the Ford Solenoid opened. The generator had enough energy and not enough air gap it continued to arc and burn. It burned up the Ford solenoid in mere seconds smoking. Then back fed the inverter and burned up the control relay as well. For what ever reason that solenoid doesn't have enough air gap and the arc continues internally. Might be what happened here hence why the burnt smell.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my Grid Heater By-Pass using a SS581. (It's a great modification that will reduce unnecessary demands on the electrical system and I don't have to

disconnect my Grid Heaters in the Spring).

Mine works great, but I want to change my SS581 to a "protected" relay.

Call me gun shy but anything that threatens the electrical system is a no-go with me.

Is there another "Protected"  relay besides the SS598 that can be used?  The reviews on the

SS598 are horrible.  

Thanks.

Leaky

3 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

reviews on the

SS598 are horrible.  

I don't know which reviews you're viewing, but most of the bad reviews on one Amazon listing were from people who bought the wrong one, as if that has anything to do with the product itself.

That 598 has a 3 year warranty, rated for 300A.

• Owner
17 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is the NAPA version

Likely a Standard Motor Products product, so if one thinks they can't build a relay, probably shouldn't buy one in a different box.

https://www.smpcorp.com/en/news/corporate-news/smp-named-2013-vendor-of-the-year-by-napa-under-hood-group

Personally, it's exactly what I'd buy because I think they make good stuff if you buy the right product line.