• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

From Edge EZ to Quadzilla is there anything I need to know?

When I purchased the truck in 2017 it was named The Dragon becuase I drove it home from Kingman AZ to Los Angeles blowing a massive amount of coal all the way home.

Little by little I found mostly all of the causes of the smoke.  There were many of them.

The truck had a Power Edge EZ which was manufactured in 07-29-2002

I suspected that it could be contributing to the smoke issue and it was.  I took it out and cut the smoke down about 30% At that tie I had exactly zero knowledge of tuners.  I'm now about to learn about them, particularly the recommended Quadzilla.

The description of the Power Edge EZ is as follows:

The Power Edge EZ Device consists of an electronic module which enhances fuel flow at medium and high load engine conditions, and a brass elbow which is designed to delay the wastage opening during boost conditions.  The electronic module is plugged into the can-bus data port and the MAP sensor's wiring harness, which are both located in the vehicles engine compartment.  The power Edge eZ comes with three user adjustments jumpers that vary the settings from slightly modified to very responsive.

Upon reading this I just realized that there is a brass elbow by the waste gate.  Should I change this part back to stock?  Would this be causing an issue?  If so what should be there?

Elbow 01.jpg

Elbow 02.jpg

I'm getting ready to install a Quadzilla and it occurred to me that the old Power Edge EX may have left some data in the ECM?

Edited by leety

You will want to keep the adjustable boost elbow on the turbo. Waste gates stock will open at around 20 psi. The adjustable elbow once adjusted properly, depending on what turbo you’re running will keep it closed longer creating more boost to the engine instead of it being blown out the exhaust. For Example the HY35 is out of its map around 30 psi. The HX35 is 35 psi. The Edge and the Quad do nothing to change the ECM’s “tune”. They just recalibrate the information going to the injection pump and boost fool the ECM. Once they are unplugged your back to stock. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Threadzy said:

You will want to keep the adjustable boost elbow on the turbo. Waste gates stock will open at around 20 psi. The adjustable elbow once adjusted properly, depending on what turbo you’re running will keep it closed longer creating more boost to the engine instead of it being blown out the exhaust. For Example the HY35 is out of its map around 30 psi. The HX35 is 35 psi. The Edge and the Quad do nothing to change the ECM’s “tune”. They just recalibrate the information going to the injection pump and boost fool the ECM. Once they are unplugged your back to stock. 

Thanks I'm not sure if that elbow to the waste-gate is stock or one that had been put in with the Edge (prior owner).  Can you tell if it's stock?

I didn't care for my adjustable boost elbow, there are other ways of dealing with wastegate. I chose to just put a plug in the turbo housing and rely 100% on my tuning. There is quite a bit to learn about V2 tuning, once you figure it all out you can call your truck the beast. 

Learning video is like learning a different language, it takes time to get used to it.

V2 not video, spell check at its best

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I didn't care for my adjustable boost elbow, there are other ways of dealing with wastegate. I chose to just put a plug in the turbo housing and rely 100% on my tuning. There is quite a bit to learn about V2 tuning, once you figure it all out you can call your truck the beast. 

Learning video is like learning a different language, it takes time to get used to it.

V2 not video, spell check at its best

Mike said those adjustable elbows are fussy.  I think @IBMobile my have found a cool one one made in China that perhaps he'll tell us about.  @Mopar1973Man said he eithe was or has used that one.

I agree learning the Quad will be a bit easier than learning Unix ;-) I've got to start somewhere.

• Like 1

• Staff

That boost elbow you have in the pic is stock so the waste gate is opening at about 18 PSI.  The one I installed is set for a max of 30PSI on the HX35.  It is from China, Tomtop.com, for about $6.  Some other members ordered the part and never got them. 

5ac922a49e511_Screenshot_20180320-171911.png.8a1f0e3619603bfc3f478aa3844a640f1.png.2f98364cb98ee68c558ecc55792b7c9a.pngIMG_2789.JPG.4b06fafd0741907a29169a015491bc73.JPG   

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, leety said:

When I purchased the truck in 2017 it was named The Dragon becuase I drove it home from Kingman AZ to Los Angeles blowing a massive amount of coal all the way home.

Little by little I found mostly all of the causes of the smoke.  There were many of them.

The truck had a Power Edge EZ which was manufactured in 07-29-2002

I suspected that it could be contributing to the smoke issue and it was.  I took it out and cut the smoke down about 30% At that tie I had exactly zero knowledge of tuners.  I'm now about to learn about them, particularly the recommended Quadzilla.

The description of the Power Edge EZ is as follows:

The Power Edge EZ Device consists of an electronic module which enhances fuel flow at medium and high load engine conditions, and a brass elbow which is designed to delay the wastage opening during boost conditions.  The electronic module is plugged into the can-bus data port and the MAP sensor's wiring harness, which are both located in the vehicles engine compartment.  The power Edge eZ comes with three user adjustments jumpers that vary the settings from slightly modified to very responsive.

Upon reading this I just realized that there is a brass elbow by the waste gate.  Should I change this part back to stock?  Would this be causing an issue?  If so what should be there?

Elbow 01.jpg

Elbow 02.jpg

I'm getting ready to install a Quadzilla and it occurred to me that the old Power Edge EX may have left some data in the ECM?

That looks like the supplied EZ boost elbow, it is not adjustable but is pre sized/restricted. The factory oem is more like a 60 degree angle and wide open. It looks like you have your turbo on the bench, it would be easy to remove and look. Then just install a pipe plug like I did:)

• Like 2

• Owner
6 hours ago, IBMobile said:

That boost elbow you have in the pic is stock so the waste gate is opening at about 18 PSI.  The one I installed is set for a max of 30PSI on the HX35.  It is from China, Tomtop.com, for about $6.  Some other members ordered the part and never got them. 

5ac922a49e511_Screenshot_20180320-171911.png.8a1f0e3619603bfc3f478aa3844a640f1.png.2f98364cb98ee68c558ecc55792b7c9a.pngIMG_2789.JPG.4b06fafd0741907a29169a015491bc73.JPG   

Exactly what I got. Your old Edge EZ boost fooler you can keep its good for 35 to 38 PSI of boost with the Quadzilla. More than enough for what you doing. 

• Like 1

I believe what is installed is the old EZ Boost Fooler this is one being sold on etrailer for the kit which looks like the one I have:

download.png

According to the specs "The included brass elbow permits turbo boost pressures of greater than 20 psi without the wastegate opening."

So @Mopar1973Man makes sense when he said "Your old Edge EZ boost fooler you can keep its good for 35 to 38 PSI of boost with the Quadzilla. More than enough for what you doing."

Since my turbo is still on the bench I'll pull that elbow and clean it just to make sure it's not clogged up.

----------------

I believe that @NIsaacs is correct that the stock bend is more like 60 degrees which makes sense because the hose is barely able to fit in my location with a 90 degree bend.  This picture shows the factory crimp clamps.  There was one of these on the actuator end of the hose the clamp on the elbow end was an adjustable clamp.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.13.35 AM.png

Edited by leety
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just buy a piece of silicone boost hose and extend it as much as needed. Length has no impact on the wastegate hose. 

Thanks yea it's good as it is but a bit fun to get on.  No serious kinks so I think this should work just fine.  This is going to be my backup turbo, once I get the Borg Warner, so no need to get too crazy with it.

8 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Cool part.  Didn't see it on Tomtop.com.  Perhaps it's unobtainium.

Just to clear the air bit. The way I am reading some of this is calling the elbow a boost fooler. The boost fooling is done in the EZ and not the elbow. The elbow is just keeping the the wastegate from opening at 20 psi. If am misreading this I will go to my :sofa:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, Threadzy said:

Aftermarket will have an Allen screw

Based on Leety's photo, it appears to be a non-adjustable boost elbow.  On my big monitor here at work there seems to be a hole drilled in the brass elbow.

• Owner

The old Edge Products elbow is a fixed boost elbow which typically stops about 35 to 37 PSI. Ran it for years and good for that tuner only truck with stock injectors. Now I'm running a China boost control like @IBMobile and works OK. Better design but never really got it adjusted. Being I've still be able to go to 47 to 49 PSI on my HX35/40 (60/60/12). +150 HP injectors and +180 HP Quadzilla. Heck my last trip to Lewiston, ID I filled in Lewiston made it back home with a bit less than 7/8 of tank remaining. Power wise I turned it up to kill and the tires had problems holding the pavement in town. Even @Wet Vettecommented about the tires kept squeaking every time I launched from traffic lights.

I know I'm rambling... But @leetyanother way to look at Quadzilla level and better way of explaining. 

LEVEL

0 - Stock Quadzilla is turned OFF and stock ECM program is running. 

1 - Valet Mode

2- Stock with Timing - No mater what your fuel map is it will use the defuel section up to 100% stock power and stop!

3 - CANBus fuel Only. You full fuel map is used but NO wiretap.

4 to 15 this is all wiretap modes. Divided up so you casn have slices of 10% of wiretap. I typically set for 7 and that gives 25% slices for wire tap. 

Typically now I use level 2 as my daily driver. Very smooth fuel, EGT max out at 1,100*F. Good traction even under heavy throttle in wet conditions. Snow can still spin fairly easy at even 2 or ZERO.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1