• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thuren alignment specs?

So... I got around to fiddling with those cam bolts today, I turned them both ways but ended up turning approx. three "lines"/ notches towards the axle.

Thanks for the help Haggar! Not sure if I'll mess with toe or not, drives WAY BETTER! At least 75% better, it's no longer scary, I can drive down highway with two fingers on steering wheel if I want without wandering back and forth, back and forth...

Much more relaxed!

You know that old saying, if you want something done right.....

Thanks again, Dieseldon

Edited by dieseldon
more info
  • Like 1

FYI, it was not easy turning those bolts that direction, I used a 1/2 in breaker bar with a small floor jack under it, basically with bar at lowest point possible and then jacking up to horizontal and then tighten nut.

(Might help someone else out)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dieseldon said:

it was not easy turning those bolts

When I had to change my control arms the "liquid wrench" - aka the torch - was utilized. Much smoke. Tried cutoff wheel on 9" grinder to cut, but bucked a couple times thanks to rubber and I decided on another route that wouldn't involve broken bones, etc.

New bolts and new arms made it easy to adjust, as long as I took weight off axle for the big adjustment. Final tightening of bolt done with full weight on truck to prevent preload in the rubber bushing.

Thanks LorenS, maybe it was because I had the weight of the truck on the axles? But turning the cam lobe towards the rear of truck was doable, turning them past 12 o'clock towards the axle wasn't, they would just spring back with force, hence the reason I had to hold the breaker bar with Jack.

The bolts are probably rusted to the inner sleeve of the bushing in the control arm.  Use never-seize liberally!!!!  And Don, being in Idaho, depending on the salt, you may need to keep protecting those joints with something yearly,  I think I see Eric on south main auto using some kind of waxy spray?....

GL
Hag