• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator question (and may a stupid one)

• Staff

I get some pics up this weekend as I have a lot involved with other people and things happening now. I think the alternator shorted because there may be something wrong with the trucks wiring. That last alternator was almost new, an original Bosch with only 40,000 miles on it. Should have gone 240,000. The batteries are new last April.

I will also do the voltage drop test. That B+ cable was newly made only a couple years ago during W-T's educating all of us on reducing the amount of AC ripple throughout the system.

Thank you all for the great input....... is good reading. 

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Your case the battery shorted out and overheated the alternator. Hence why the alternator was hot, and the fuse connection was hot. Still in all the alternator is only 136 Amps so it will never charge any more than that period even with a dead short. That fuse will never blow. 

Now if the diodes shorted to ground, like you mention in the PM with @W-T yes it does cover the shorted stator and shorted to ground diode. But it does not protect the armature which burns up the PCM voltage regulator circuit. 

That was the first time I shorted the Alternator,(last April) this time, 5 months later it shorted after using starter, gid heaters, and the seat heaters on high. I wait a few minutes to not use them all at once, giving the batteries a chance to regain some charge. That's when this second Alternator went.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the input.  Turns out I needed to put the alternator on the back burner.  The Tuesday before turkey day my lift pump took a dump.  It was a FASS DDRP and the shaft seal went on it.  Got home form work and fuel was leaking pretty good out the weep hole.  Thank goodness for Amazon.  I ordered an Airdog DRP the day before turkey day and got it the day after.  I find the Airdog to be quieter than the FASS and I like the adjusability of it.  I'm glad I move it to in front of the tank.  Makes the change a lot easier.

I plan to get to the alternator this weekend.  Got to go to Texas for a funeral next week and need to to some routine work on the truck.

Thanks again

L8tr

d