• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Size

4 hours ago, jag said:

Look at the bottom of the the fan housing on the Caravan, it's wide open. Same on the Benz.

This is crazy, my step dad's 2000 Chrysler Town & country blower motor started making squealing noise yesterday and randomly quit working, so since I came over for dinner I had him get new motor and resistor before I got there, took me about 20 minutes upside down changing it and what I so is the blower has holes in it like you drilled only molded in plastic housing, but then it has another cover that covers the vhac box. Anyway I kept the old blower fan, new one came with it, maybe I'll give it a try, must of been meant to be you brought this up and few days later I have a squirrel cage now, I still have my old motor for the truck that changed last year along with resistor because motor was getting stuff, few drops of oil and it spins like new so I put new one in since I got one and put original one on the shelf, now it can be a guinea pig for this test. Van on left ours on right.IMG_2020-12-25_09-51-22.JPG.c622246dd7413c6e00862efb873b416e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Would the 4 holes help drilled into the stock fan housing, not a Dodge Caravan blower, still be a significant improvement?

I got popcorn blowin' out my vents here :lol:

No? In theory, no air there is moving. In practice, it will likely just blow out into the cab from there resulting in less from the vents.

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

Likely because I've never dealt with the blower assembly on my truck, but I am failing miserably in picturing what was done.

Also, the few times I've run my truck around -20 the last thing I needed was more heat in the cab. That may be because of the homemade winter front and blocking 2/3 the radiator with cardboard. I may have been running the 200 thermostat back then.

New blower and new motor. Factory motor with different blower. Added holes so non factory blower would work. The Heater core was replaced previously.

He is correct^^^^^^ JAG1

If anything it would blow air backwards through them causing low air coming from heater vents only making things worse.

Think of the fans working separately. The top half of the fan works as it should & the bottom fan draws air from inside cab compounding the air from the top fan being pushed into the cab. Remember, the cab is always under positive pressure when the fan is on. I do not have more air pressure, just a lot more air to flow, hence making it much warmer.

Dieselfuture;

Some had the cover, some did not. I think we all know how Dodge works from year to year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping not to go to the wrecking yard for a caravan blower. I think what I will do is figure out a smart way, if there is one, to close that door behind the glove box and recirculate the air.

To close the door behind the glovebox & recirculate the air is the way I have it now.

The door behind glovebox is closed. It opens for recirculate & shuts off outside air from coming in. The Caravan fan is the easy way.

JAG1, are you going to modify the door, or add a flap & cable or something to control it to open & close. Good luck. All I see is more cold air coming in. You will be on the wrong side of the fan.  This is the first I have seen to try & help our heaters. It works exceptionally well for me the way I have it setup.

• Thanks 1

Just operate the door with vacuum line and vacuum switch of some sort. Should not be that difficult.

And just so I understand, the upper portion of fan is pulling air in from above and the lower portion is pulling from underneath thru the drilled holes, in essence recirculating the cab air. Still seems you would pulling in some outside air from above if the recirc door was open to the outside and not in recirc mode. Less maybe.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Just operate the door with vacuum line and vacuum switch of some sort. Should not be that difficult.

And just so I understand, the upper portion of fan is pulling air in from above and the lower portion is pulling from underneath thru the drilled holes, in essence recirculating the cab air. Still seems you would pulling in some outside air from above if the recirc door was open to the outside and not in recirc mode. Less maybe.

Or a zip tie, if this is something that is to be used for extended periods.