• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My new 2006 Dodge Ram 3500

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Well gang. I now added one more to my fleet of Dodge Trucks. I had my friend drop off his truck and needed a clutch I told him to help me out I would do it for him. After we found out hes going to need a full clutch and flywheel at the time. He didn't have the money. He just left the truck on my shop for over a month which I shoved it out into the yard. Just walked away. Fast forward 6 month. I get a nasty message from him telling me to more or less to F off and he doesn't need friends like me. Ok... He could been stopping by and dropping a hundred a paycheck and got him a clutch but nope. No phone calls, no dropping by, nothing... Even @Wet Vette was upset how he's just left his mess here for nearly a full year.

So, what about the truck. @Jthorcalled the bank and found out he's not paid on his loan at all. @Jthorexplained to the bank how much work is needed on the truck to make it run. The bank ask Price $x,xxx and he still explaining about this empty box and how it needs to be assembled. Bank replies again how about $xxx!!! Yup I wrote a check for that small sum and ran to town to purchase my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500.

We are in the process of getting the title before we move forward anymore once we have ownership. 

• New Clutch
  • New Injectors
  • New Wastegate Solenoid
  • Remove the front lift kit
  • Remove the oversized tires
  • Finish installing the rear shocks

I'll post photos very soon...

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 (SRW)

Flatbed with gooseneck ready.

Stock Engine 5.9L

6 Speed G56 transmission. 

4WD

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

• Owner

Yeah I know It not my style to make a move like that but dang come down yard the trans out om y floor and leave it there. Never came back. Never got parts nothing. It was @Jthorwho said, "Let's make a profit from this!" So we looked at both selling out right but Both @Jthorand myself are looking at doing hotshot work as well. That would give us a good work truck. Both agree on puting locking toolbox on the bed. Then it could used a service truck for local work. Possbly hitch up the RV at travel for work. Or just tow trailers for people.

We've got good plans on this truck. As soon as the sun comes up... Pictures...

DSCF5168.JPG

DSCF5169.JPG

DSCF5170.JPG

DSCF5171.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

You didn't immediately fix his truck for free and out of the blue he shows up... and you are the ahole somehow??? Some people are strange.

Looks like it could be a good solid truck. Would make a pretty decent hotshot rig as well, I like when things just seem to work out like that.

• Like 2

• Owner

Yup. I agree. He could of been bought me parts in a timely manner or money for the parts and allow me to order the parts. Nope didn't happen. My phone number has been the same for YEARS. Nothing stopped him from calling me. Nope didn't happen. His Dad's place is in Riggins, ID he has to drive past my place to get there. He didn't even help me push it out of the shop. 

I got the receipt for the Title from the bank.  Once that is in my hands I've already got a clutch waiting for it. Yeah... I'm going to say it. But I'm going to buy a clutch from NAPA to get it running. There is no power mods at this time so stock clutch will be fine. Injectors I can get as well but that is a bit bigger expense for even my budget. Just get it running and Title, Registration, and Insurance. 

Being I've got it I might just get the 1996 Dodge ready for sale in the Spring give it a good cleaning up and get it gone. I don't need 3 trucks. 

My napa clutch has stood up well to my abuse. 50k on it with more power (300hp?), has surprised me. It didn't start slipping until I like 30k in. Even now, it is perfectly driveable, just stay out of it or when you feel it slip, let off instantly. Not bad for a $100 clutch from 2008 that sat in the garage floor till 2011. I wouldn't hesitate to put the plate back in with if a few mm forward and run the clutch another 50-100k. I'd put another in if I was going to stay at this power level.

• Like 1

• Owner

Valid points. Right now I'm just looking at getting it ruunning and being profitable truck. Not planning on racing or serious performance at this time just make it run. I've got other things to gather up. Like all the electrical on the bed is shot. None of the tail lights work right now. All kinds of little things to fix. Already got gauges and exhaust brake on it. Need to get those huge tires off get the ratio setup for towing and climbing grades, don't need pavement princess, need a work truck. 

Yeah if anyone has 3rd gen wheels (17 inch) I'll take them, even do a trade. 

• Staff

What I hear it's too competitive so you end up working on too tight of a margin. Makes for very unhappy situation.

I would entertain the idea of hauling RV's for private customers. Not the dealers unless they are very exceptional and unusual people. There are those times in my life when good business people came along that actually care about your bottom line that care you do fine. Those are the ones to look for. :thumb1: It's better to price a job correctly and not get it, than it is to bid low and get it which never allows for incidentals/ problems, 

• Like 2

My neighbor who was own/op for about 10 years back in the 70's and 80's. Said it was the quickest way to go broke. 

By contrast, I almost started driving for a guy who had 6 trucks running RV's back and forth for the Camping World in Chattanooga. He made a decent living at it apparently, had a harder time finding clean drivers he said as his loads apparently required a medical sometimes (>26,001 lbs). Under that I believe you are exempt. I chose to work at Tank Town instead of being a driver, I think I made the right choice in my case. I also didn't want to use my only truck from my grandfather to do hotshot.

Can't be too bad if you find a good contract/job board. Since it seem like some side money for you, and you have a truck you aren't attached to, seems like a good deal. Easy to be picky on you loads when it isn't your sole income.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, Russ Roth said:

I would do some real research on hotshotting

Yep. If I were getting into that I'd hit up BlueOx. Jag1s advice to price the job correctly seems spot on, too.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

if anyone has 3rd gen wheels (17 inch)

Are you thinking 245/70/17? I purchased and mounted some 265/65/17s to get me down to 30.5", but haven't put them on the truck yet (bought some steel wheels for extras). They aren't a common tire size, so that could prove to be a poor choice.

There's even some Cooper truck tires in 265/60/18 that will get you to 30.5"!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-discoverer-at3-LT265-60R18-119S-bsw-all-season-tire/254505162

• Like 3

Unless you already know what the gear ratio's are in the new truck, I would hang on to the tires that are on it. With 4.10's, you will need them. Even with 3.73's and the low 1st and 6th gear of the G-56 AD, you still might need them.

Since hot shot hauling you can't always know what the weights are that you haul/tow, the bigger, higher tire capacity is a plus. What size are they? The 3rd gen trucks are heavy, empty...don't cut yourself short.

Edited by NIsaacs

• Staff

Unless it was one of the less than 100 built, and then recalled, G56 trucks it won't have 4.10's... which is a good thing!

Based on the gearing of the G-56AD I would recommend a tire taller than 265/70R17. The final drive ratio is like a NV4500/NV5600 with 4.10's. 255/80R17 is a great size and not large/heavy enough to do any additional front end wearing. 

I have a set of 3rd gen 17" wheels that I have been meaning to list to sale for dad. We can probably make a great deal. Still stuck with the crappy load rating of 17's thou at 3195/tire max. There are some grandfathered tires higher but they are not common anymore. 

I agree on pulling the front level if it's more than 1". 

Spare is a 3rd gen steel spare with a new 235/80R17 on it. 

FC05FBC3-5CB1-497B-9FC5-E5E0196265CA.jpeg