• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible Game Changer for lighting our trucks $211

• 1 month later...

Anyone running these yet

I helped put a set of led bulbs and housings on a suburban yesterday. Company called top gear or something. 

All parts very low quality cost was 274

Are the lenses low quality from rock auto

RA uses a lot different suppliers for head lights. I got the set I have on amazon along with some different brand bulbs and they worked pretty good. Cleat lenses with just a rear reflector. Light stays on the road and not in the trees.

• Like 1

• Owner

Lens is NOT the problem its the reflector. I've got a set of head light housing from Amazon clear lens but the reflector suxs for pattern. Now no matter what you do with housing and bulbs most of it is going to be crappy patterned hotspot on the highway and never be all that great. Like even on my 1996 Dodge I've got new housing and new LED bulbs they are bright but the pattern suxs. Great hotspot in the middle of the highway lane  but no light to the edge of the road at all. If a deer jump up out of the ditch I'd never see it. 

Second best option for headlights - 2nd Generation Dodge Non-Powertrain -  Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Forum

HID's whole new world. The light is evenly cast over the full width of the highway plus another 20 to 30 feet pass the fog lines on both sides. The lens is what makes this all possible. I'm not using any huge bulbs either just the standard 4,000 lumen 5k bulb. On high beam I can light the top of pine tree that is 50 foot tall.

Like I said you can play with housing and bulbs till the cows come home but you'll never come close to HID's quality of any sort. I've tried every from sport headlights with the relay mod, new headlight housing and LED bulbs. the HID's... Just no way to do cheap lighting....

Lo Beam HIDs, and PIAA LEDs on as well. Great cutoff and never in on coming eyes. Still a good reach without being to high in peoples eyes. 

Morimoto HIDs and PIAA 530 RF series LED's - 2nd Generation Dodge  Non-Powertrain - Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Forum

Hi beam on the HID's being it was a short distance to the back drop it doesn't look too tall but out on the open road and looking out in the distance you can clearly see the tops of trees at 50 feet tall. You can see all the way to the curve...

Morimoto HIDs and PIAA 530 RF series LED's - 2nd Generation Dodge  Non-Powertrain - Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Forum

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I used this.

20191226_134511.jpg.1a03be5f153451508cbfac631390cf51.jpg

It just has the rear reflector and projects the light mostly forward. They light the side of the road about as well as the oe housings with halogen bulb. The adjusting screws are held in place with a clip very much like the oe but pretty thin. They have held where I set them but seem cheap. So I dont they they are just trash can fodder but only couple steps ahead of that. I did this just experient and it came out pretty good. One other thing I kept reading about was the loaction of the light chip in the bulb and that you would have better performance if said chip was in the same location as the filament in a halogen bulb. But I have only tried the one led set in them. So how true that is I dont know.

1 hour ago, Evan said:

The chip is forward is that what you mean by same as halogen bulb?

By what I read if you were to hold a halogen bulb next to the led bulb with the bases even, where the bases fit into the housing, that the led chip should be at the same distance as the filament in the halogen from the base. Once I installed mine into the housing and liked what I saw I never took it out to compare. So needless to say the above info was found after I installed mine and I am to lazy to take them out and see if they are close. Now these lights are not a big game changer. Right now mine reach about the same as the halogens but light is brighter. I have had them aimed higher with good results but they seemed to me to be to high for on coming traffic. No one flipped their high beams at me but I dont think anyone knows how to do that anymore.  I based my adjustments on how the beams hit a vehicle in front of me, as in did I light there passenger compartment up at a stop light or not.

The LED's I used were LASFIT LC6 9004. Plug and play. At $35 for the pair. I was into the whole deal for less than $150.

• Like 1

• Owner
5 hours ago, Evan said:

Ok gotcha. 

Why do we keep messing with these damn old dinosaurs 

Because these old dinosaurs are easier to work on than the new trucks and parts are cheaper. CR engine for a set of injectors right about $2,100 for stock injectors. I can buy a VP44 for half that price. Then injectors for us are quarter that price. Why do we want to pay for new technology that cost more to fix? I know I'm hypocrite now being I also own a 2006 Dodge ram now too and plan on dropping that same $2,100 on injectors too. Being I bought it cheap I could fix it up and use it for a time and them trade for something else I find. 

So ive now blown my spare bulb.

Heres a photo of 2stroke 3.0 from a tundra forumn.

I am thinkkng ill order bulbs but not lenses ill clean my lenses again as I research what might be a quality replacement 

127792151_186388163141251_8931695173124974625_n_5d3b7abea988b022292e1260773550271c8f94a1.jpg

I've spent the money on the 2stroke 3.0 175bucks. Now that I've spent the money I've done alot of research.

Seems hid vs led is a confusing subject alot jumpers into one wagon or the other. Lots of good information but im not sure ive read what is actually better

Been running around with my high beams.

Looking forward to having better than stock light.

Edited by Evan

Ok there in. I like though my paxxenger housing is broken cant adjust up.

Beam pattern similar to the Silverstone appears to be noticably more light.  No stray light hitting tops if trees like my jeep led

20210209_072003.jpg

20210209_073725.jpg

20210208_235322.jpg

20210209_070708.jpg

20210208_215459.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1