• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Possible Game Changer for lighting our trucks $211

This is mine with the clear lenses.

20191226_180808.jpg.dcfabd646b2eea2d548ad22359d233ab.jpg20191226_182148.jpg.c47808ddba13ddd29f160bc45d6de14a.jpg

This is the low beam before I aimed better. I had to aim them pretty far left to center the beams. Cheap bulbs or housings, dont know for sure. I did read in the Morimoto description a reference to the distance of the chip from the base. and clocking them to 3 and 9.

• Like 1

• Owner

That's one thing Morimoto HID's D2S Lens, does not have is pair of hot spots. The light is evenly cast over a surface. Then it cast farther and higher that most all other solutions. 

Like @dripley photos the two hotspots won't be there. Now expand the light cast along the edge of the road out another 50 feet out both directions. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

The part number S538XF yields no results at ANZO's website.  http://www.anzousa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=S538XF&Search=
I think they are, in fact, these lights:  http://www.anzousa.com/dodge-ram-1500-94-01-ram-2500-3500-94-02-crystal-h-l-chrome-amber-w-corner-light-2pc.html

If you have Prime, can save $25 at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/USA-111068-Crystal-Headlight-Assembly/dp/B0038B1H2I

That is the Crystal version of the housings I purchased.  I bought the 111067, which have more black in them since I knew I was going Projectors and also have a black grille after a meeting with a shopping cart...  They aren't anything to write home about, but for the price would buy them again.  Most importantly, NO LEAKS!  Good fitment (though that's as much on Dodge's QC as the housing maker's).

Edited by LorenS
  • Like 1

Loren 

Thanks for the reply.  Got a response back from retrofit resource. Prett sure whoever responded. 

Said if I get after market housings bulbs may not fit. Nothing in reply about what style works best with the 2stroke 3.0

Shot off a message to morimoto maybe that will get some info.

Lol nothing wrong with that. Not sure why bulbs wouldn't fit unless aftermarket takes different than 9006/4 bulbs.

The response rubbed me wrong and had nothing to do with question I asked. Guess I shouldn't judge so quickly and harsh.

Did you guys see these.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-2-led-bulbs-9006

Theres more options out than I realized. Hid and halogens mist like will soon go away ounce led becomes legal and technology catches up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evan said:

Lol nothing wrong with that. Not sure why bulbs wouldn't fit unless aftermarket takes different than 9006/4 bulbs.

The response rubbed me wrong and had nothing to do with question I asked. Guess I shouldn't judge so quickly and harsh.

Did you guys see these.

https://www.gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-2-led-bulbs-9006

Theres more options out than I realized. Hid and halogens mist like will soon go away ounce led becomes legal and technology catches up.

I have not seen those. I am still the guy who believes He can get good headlights without spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I am at 150 bucks with pretty good lights. Now they dont light the road 500 feet ahead nor do they light the woods on either side so I can see deer hiding behind the trees but they are better that the stockers. I still think for 200 to 250 bucks ought to put a good set of headlights on a vehicle.

While the LED's are not legal, if they start writing tickets for them LEO's will be busy with nothing but that for the next 5 years. The light is good but a lot of folks are ignorant to anything but how good they see and everyone else be damned. 

I thought silver star halogen bulbs were an upgrade.

Gtr seems to have been in the led game for awhile while mormito is old school hid

Looks like theres a few plug n play drastic light upgrades for less than 250.

Edited by Evan

I posted this back a few moths ago about LED bulbs, not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just trying to share some information. Personally, I don't want to give law enforcement a reason to pull me over, follow your own moral compass.

Sorry to weigh in so late, but I've been kind of busy lately, and haven't been keeping up. The LED kit is a great idea, but LED headlight bulbs are NOT legal for on road use. I'm in the automotive parts business, and our company checked into this. This is from Philips lighting on why they don't make LED headlight capsules and for those using other may want to reconsider.

The US Federal Motor Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108 specifically states for forward lighting (headlamps) that "You cannot replace your filament type light source (bulb) with anything else other than another light source"

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce a conversion kit (converting a halogen system to LED) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) no. 108. These noncompliant kits frequently include LED modules, control boxes, relays, and wiring harness adaptors. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since these kits can typically produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that a converted headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800 percent.

We are able to produce the LED Sealed Beams (which replace Halogen Sealed Beams) because the sealed beam unit in itself is a headlamp (contains a lens, reflector, and light source). When it is replaced, all these components are replaced with something new. When the integral beam was tested and passed to DOT/SAE requirements for beam the entire unit is passed, not just the light source.

This is the same thing the OEM does to validate headlight assembly on a new vehicle, and why they can sell vehicles with LED headlamps.

Long story short, (I know its already to long) it is illegal to replace a filament bulb (light source only) with a nonfilament bulb in the United States.

Again, this is our suppliers reply, so if you want to use LED conversion headlight kits in you rigs, remember, this is at your own risk.

Mark

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

I posted this back a few moths ago about LED bulbs, not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just trying to share some information. Personally, I don't want to give law enforcement a reason to pull me over, follow your own moral compass.

Sorry to weigh in so late, but I've been kind of busy lately, and haven't been keeping up. The LED kit is a great idea, but LED headlight bulbs are NOT legal for on road use. I'm in the automotive parts business, and our company checked into this. This is from Philips lighting on why they don't make LED headlight capsules and for those using other may want to reconsider.

The US Federal Motor Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108 specifically states for forward lighting (headlamps) that "You cannot replace your filament type light source (bulb) with anything else other than another light source"

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce a conversion kit (converting a halogen system to LED) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) no. 108. These noncompliant kits frequently include LED modules, control boxes, relays, and wiring harness adaptors. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since these kits can typically produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that a converted headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800 percent.

We are able to produce the LED Sealed Beams (which replace Halogen Sealed Beams) because the sealed beam unit in itself is a headlamp (contains a lens, reflector, and light source). When it is replaced, all these components are replaced with something new. When the integral beam was tested and passed to DOT/SAE requirements for beam the entire unit is passed, not just the light source.

This is the same thing the OEM does to validate headlight assembly on a new vehicle, and why they can sell vehicles with LED headlamps.

Long story short, (I know its already to long) it is illegal to replace a filament bulb (light source only) with a nonfilament bulb in the United States.

Again, this is our suppliers reply, so if you want to use LED conversion headlight kits in you rigs, remember, this is at your own risk.

Mark

You are right and these bulb manufacturers state that in their ads, NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE. I dont know how it is anywhere else but I dare say around here 30% or more of the headlights I see have the LED's in them. Law enforcement around here do not seem to care. Safety inspected mine last year with the LED's in and not word from the inspector. I have no problem with them if done right. But I dare say 50% or more dont care as long as they can see better.

So my bulbs are upside down.  I only know from looking at pictures of morimoto bulbs. 

I've sent morimoto a email asking if they're upside down.  

Prior to that I sent them an email asking about what lense housing would be best suited to the 2stroke bulbs.  Got the same response back saying they don't fit.

I think ill be boxing these up and sending them back. I feel like I shouldn't have to deal with this they won't fit bullshit. They're a god damn 9007 plug and play replacement bulb. Maybe the jokes on me but . Im going to see if I can send these back. Get my refund wash myself of morimoto and tge retrofit fit source all together. 

The 2stroke bulb does seem promising but I just don't think theyre for me. Specially since I have to swap hig and low beams in the truck plug.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

follow your own moral compass

I don't look to government for my morals, even something like headlights.

My Adrenaline is not EPA/CARB approved, either. Nor is putting bigger injectors, a different turbo, and maybe even the lift pump.

All these talks about better lights and end result is ok for the most part, I'm glad I spent few more bucks and got the d2s and some cheap housings, did the conversion myself to save by not paying retrofit place, couldn't be more happier with this decision. Not saying I need to see the deer behind trees, just the fact that I can see where I'm going and they are legal makes me happy. I really hated original lights what a garbage, infact most of this truck was garbage until all the mods. Don't get me wrong, the body style is one of a kind, engine is great, then if you got a built auto or a standard etc,.....as is from factory it was ok at best. If it was perfect this forum wouldn't exist. So yeah like anything else it gets better after few beer cans. 

Haha lol true that. 

I to dont care to follow anything the government says to follow either.

I've emailed the retrofit source asking if I can return these bulbs.

Doing some more research and more names are popping up of good led bulbs.

Driving in a snow storm. Outside temp was about 32deg.

I'd imagine these ice over pretty good if outside Temps much lower.

20210211_213035.jpg